Let's get to know each other (NSR)

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Mario, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Alepinero, el mero mero

2. sgraham322

sgraham322 New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My name is Scott and I live in Flagstaff, AZ. I have only been following
    FC Barcelona for a little over a year, since I visited the city last year.
    I followed football a bit while growing up (Cosmos - I grew up in NJ, and got
    to see them play at Giants Stadium a few times), and my Dad coached high
    school boys and girls, and I used to watch them quite a bit. I kind of fell out
    of watching the sport, and my visit to Europe renewed my interest in it. I
    just got Dish TV, so now I can watch FCB/La Liga and English Premier League
    here in Arizona!!

I hope to live in Barcelona some day, and be able to visit Nou Camp on
    a regular basis. I was there again last month, but unfortunately, Barca
    was away that Sunday. We did get to see RCD Espanyol beat Valencia
    in the snow on Montjuic though, which was very cool! I did get to
    see the FCB Museum and see the stadium empty at least.

In addition to Barca, my favorite teams are USA, Spain, LA Galaxy, and
    Espanyol when they are playing anyone but Barca. I also follow
    Man Utd and Liverpool in the EPL.

Scott

3. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    welcome aboard Scott

4. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    Not a fan of Barca, but if I had to choose btw the Big 2, it would def be Barca. Some Vasco-Catalan Solidarity!

My name is Justino,24 yrs old, I was born in Brooklyn, but my family is from the Basque Country. I am getting married next April(alot of you guys are divorced, is marriage that tough?)

The reason I sorta dislike Barca is they poach some of Athletic's best players! Bastardos! jk

I visited Nou camp while in Barcelona, and was very impressed, to say the least.

5. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    My name is Will and I am a student at the University of Arkansas. I have been a Barca fan for a little over two years. I came to be a fan through my Dutch heritage and the history of the club, my hatred of all things Madrid, and the culture of the city.

I am an International Relations major and I hope to scrape enough money to make it to Barcelona if I cannot convince someone to let me study abroad there. I'll lie and say I am there to immerse myself in the spanish language.

I realize that ronaldinho is god and have come to accept that kluviert is crap. i believe that barca needs competent wing play to be fully successful.

6. Green Invasion

Green Invasion New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Scotland
    I have to now admit that I have always had a wee sneaky admiration for Barca. I think our 2 clubs have much in common.

Anyway a bit about my guid self.

32 Years old

In the field of medicine specializing in addictions.

Never married

No kids

In a relationship and happy

2 cats

I like history, natural history, cycling, skydiving, reading and travelling. Also it goes without saying that I love Irn Bru. Did you know that Scotland is the only country in the world where Coke is not the best selling soft drink? We refer to it as the main one of our national drinks, whisky being the other.

Anyway I will pop into the forum every now and again and see how Barca get on and what you guys are saying. Here's hoping you win La Liga!!

Barca! Barca!! Barca!!!

All the best.

Celtic/Barca.

7. Green Invasion

Mar 4, 2004
    Scotland
    BTW Jeffrey, Arteta has no spirit and very little commitment but yet again it may be the Scottish game in general that has not suited him, seriously. Personally though I do not rate him.

8. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More research into addicitons I take it :D

Welcome again, I share a secret admiration of Celtic as a good friend of mine is a big hoops supporter, and, like Barca, I admire the tradition and loyalty of the fans.

9. Green Invasion

Mar 4, 2004
    Scotland

I always think that hands-on research produces better outcomes!!

10. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Little late in the game.

I am 26 going on 27 and I currently study in Washington DC although my family's residence is in Queens, New York. I take the bar exam next year. I know that the current president, Laporta, is also a lawyer and who knows, maybe with some hard work, an in-house counsel job might be around the corner (I'd probably have a better chance of playing for Real Madrid..meaning it would never happen).

My allegiance to Futbol Club Barcelona started in the 1990-91 season after I met a friend who was a huge huge fan. I got on with him and as a friend, tried to understand and learn his passion. And just like that, it hit me. At that time, I really didn't appreciate the technical brilliance of the Dream Team, but the more I watched, and compared to other clubs playing at the time, there was a smooth elegant way of football being played at the Camp Nou. I guess becoming a fan is all about timing. I really don't blame young kids today who look at Real Madrid and follow them considering the superstars they have on their team. But then again, I feel sorry for them that they'll never have the privilege and honor of supporting the better club.

Of course people might consider me a bandwagon jumper but really, when you start following a club at the start of a season that was to be the first of four consecutive championship seasons, can you call it glory hunting? No one knows who is going to win the league and Real Madrid had won the league in previous years.

I admire what FCB stands for and what it has gone through in its history. Men have been persecuted for donning the "blaugrana" shirt and even one of our club presidents, Josep Sunyol, was executed by the Francoists. During a time when a central government desperately tried to kill off any cultural remnants of Catalunya, this club was the flagship of an entire people. It really does embody its own motto: Som mes que un club. There is pride that is shown in everything from keeping a sponsor off the colors of our shirt to the erecting of Camp Nou in 1957 (still a bigger stadium than Bernebau).

Greatest Barcelona moments? Too many...
    1. Koeman's freekick at Wembley ... nearly shat my pants (actually every Koeman freekick was special cause for him, it was like a penalty)

2. Winning the league on the last day on three separate occasions (twice Tenerife did us a favor and so did Valencia against Depor in 1994)

3. Barcelona's 3-2 win at Bernebau in 1997-98 - We've beaten Real Putos by a score of 5-0, but this win was more special because the way Barcelona kept on fighting and then beating Real Madrid at their home.

I hate Real Madrid... Stoichkov's quote about how that name makes him vomit and he'd rather have the earth open up and swallow him than take a job with him.. I think that's the minimum senitment shared by all cules and socios. I don't hate their fans nor wish harm to them. But the club Real Madrid and all that bull***t about how Madrid embodies dignity and other crap like that makes me vomit. Nothing makes me feel better than on those two days each year where we see the blaugrana go up against los putos blancos. I hate them so much that seeing any other team, even Atletico Madrid win the title, is far greater than seeing Madrid win it.

I am Korean and apart from my love for El Barca, I support our national team. I also have recently supported Galatasaray, but even when Cim Bom plays Barcelona, you can't deny your feelings for Barca. I enjoy a lot of sports despite football being at the top. I've recently been fascinated by rugby, although my one outing made me realize that for my own health, I ought not to trade the round ball for the oval one. But what spirit and guts those lads have who play that game.

I also love to play FIFA2004 so if anyone is up for a online match.. let me know.

Madrid! Cabron! Salut al campeon!
    Visca Barca! Visca Catalunya!

Blaugrana al vent! (The blaugrana in the wind)
    Un crit valent! (And with a valient cry)
    Tenim un nom el sap tothom (With a name that we all know)
    Barca! Barca! Ba~~~~rca!

11. Intermission

Intermission New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    From London to Oz...
    Hola.

My name is Rhys, 18. I'm of English birth, now living in Australia. I'm an Arsenal fan first and foremost, have been since the day I was born! I've always admired Barcelona for what they've brought and done for football.

I loathe Real Madrid and everything they stand for.

12. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    im 19 and a student at arizona state. I played footy up until i was about 15 but was never really into club soccer. propably about two years ago, me and a few buddies started to go out and kick it around, and then we played fifa and started watching the odd match on espn2.. i started to follow man u because two of my buddies supported liverpool (and because i thought ryan giggs was the best player id ever seen). I knew alot about a few barca players because at some point they were a "sure thing" to come to man u (puyol, kluivert, etc). And when the ronnie to man u deal was bumblefcuked i was furious

So basically, the many deals involving Man U and Barca that have been ruined thanks to fergie and the crew, and the great moves fcb has made since ive been into soccer again has caused me to lose interest overtime in mufc and support barca.. of course i will always have a soft for the red devils, cause they got me into soccer again, but, come on man... Barca truly is the best club in the world and we will rule spain for a very long time.

13. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    welcome aboard guys, keep 'em coming

14. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    Yo
    I'm 25, live in Vancouver, Canada. Not married, but been with my girlfriend for some time.

I'm a Barca fan because I'm of Dutch heritage so there's that connection, but moreso because of travels there, and just falling in love with the city. I was there when Man Utd won the Champions League, and tho I'm by no means a Utd fan, it was incredible just to see all the atmosphere. It's what cemented me as a football fan--before I was just an avid spectator and more of a hockey fan (Canadian, eh). Not anymore.

Anyways I don't come over to this board much, normally use bigsoccer more for the Holland stuff, but I'll make an effort to head this way more.

Cheers.

15. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome aboard ay;)

16. Brejrin

Brejrin New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    T&T
    hey this my first post i am a complete barca fan and hope to make this site even better

17. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    welcome buddy tell us more about you.

18. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    OK....here it goes, some will think I am crazy and suicidal...but what the heck.

My name is Daniel, I am from Andalucia but have been living in the US since I was 16. I am now 30, divorced, married and now have a 11 month beautiful baby girl. My wife is Dominican. I am just about the only Real Madrid fan in my immediate family (and in this thread!!), as they are from Athletic, Sevilla, and even Betis. Nobody cares much about Barcelona, so I guess that my "conversion" to Real Madrid from as long as I can remember wasn't too difficult.
    I despise Barcelona FC with all my heart! There. So much that I have the dvd with that Real 5 Barcelona 0 framed in my living room!. Ok, I am just kidding, I am not that extreme. :D

I'll be around to let you all pick fights (dialectic) against me,(I'll do my best to pick fights too) as I try to add some constructive criticism to the sorry overrated excuse of a soccer club that Barcelona is.

Let next season begin!

;)

19. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    Looks like we have the Black Sheep from his family here.

20. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    You hit it right in the head. :p

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay, I get around.

I've been looking for a Spanish club to follow for years, started with Real Madrid, but the more I learned, the more I disliked. Can't say I loathe them, damn that Zidane is a beautiful player, but I enjoy when they lose.

I'm 42, happily married to the best woman in the world, a 15-year old former player who if he hadn't gotten Crohn's disease could have been a stud player. He doesn't like playing in Connecticut.

Oh i've worked in soccer for 11 years and I love the Dutch style of play, and their influence at Barcelona has brought me here. I don't care for Kluivert, but I have been impressed with Cocu for years.

The lack of sponsors on the shirt has always impressed me, but even if they bring a sponsor on board - I'll still think they have a great looking shirt, even though its Nike.

I support West Ham and Feyenoord, but I also like Sampdoria, and the New England Revolution are trying to suck me in to their painful existence.

I'm working on my own team in the area, and I'll let you know more about that in the future.

Oh my mom was from Honduras, and my two uncles played back there and they gave me my love of the game.

gracias a todos,

eddie

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    welcome fellas!

We'll be your worst nightmare Iberian! :p

nice to see you here Eddie! :D

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just here because of you ;)

24. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    If this thread is cool enough for panicfc to post in it, it's cool enough for me.

My real name's Matt, I'm 21, not married. I've lived in a suburb of Detroit almost my entire life. I'm sure everyone knows by now I'm not a Barcelona supporter I prefer Deportivo, but I do "support" Barca when they play in the Champions League or UEFA Cup, actually I support all Spanish clubs in Europe (even......gasp!......Madrid). Feyenoord is my other favorite club, Feyenoord and Depor are 1a. and 1b. but don't ask me which one's higher ; ). Oh and if you guys steal Luque from Depor I just may learn to hate you all. :p

How come you quit posting in the Deportivo thread Mario? :confused:. I get pretty lonely talking to myself.