Let's get to know each other (NSR)

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Mario, Sep 19, 2003.

1. InteristAmerica

InteristAmerica BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 26, 2005
    Boston, MA usa
    see catalan fans are the greatest, ive received no welcome from the inter fans at all, para sempre me encanta barcelona y el nerazzurri, pero...
    barca is my second favorite, maybe if they brought back saviola. picture the south american forces at work...marquez ronaldinho saviola

btw wat is a socio fabo :confused:

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome to the Cules forum! The Internazinale forum is active sometimes, but not like in here and the Barca supporters are very nice and classy people.
    Small little family in here.

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

welcome =)

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome IA, but it should be noted that Marquez is North American. :)

5. fabiroche87

fabiroche87 New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    miami
    socio is being member of the club...having tickets all year around and toher cool stuff, btw WELCOME!!!!!

6. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    hey buddy, im 16, live in london
    how can you watch barca games in canada other then waiting for a miracle fro sportsnet, and does someoen have barcas 2 goasl agaisnt albacete for download :D

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm a total soccer n00b & I've been lurking for a while - I figure I may as well start posting now...

I'm 33, married - we went to Espana for during Holy Week this past March (Espana Vacation Pictures HERE) and fell in love w/ Barcelona and surrounding Catalunya! We got to drive by Camp Nou on the sight-seeing bus, but didn't have time to stop (we were rushing to see all the Gaudi sights that day) - next time, we're stopping and watching a match!

I've been following Barca Futbol since April '05 (when we got back from Spain) - I love the history, vibe, & creative energy of the Catalan people/places... The fact that FCB is fun to watch even for a soccer n00b is great, but I've had a thing for underdogs as well...

I suppose there's really 3 things that draw me:

1) Barcelona is my favorite city in Europe
    2) I'm a sports fan and FCB has imprinted me like a baby chick is imprinted by the image of its mother
    3) I like rooting for the underdog (historically, Barca vs. RM).

I've been playing Winning Eleven 8 like crazy btw - It's helped me to get a better understanding of the game/strategy/tactics/etc.,

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome CW. I love Winning Eleven! Way better than FIFA. Once you get a better knowledge of the game, you should check out Football Manager. It's a sim, but it's incredibly addictive.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Whether it's regarding Barca, or soccer in general. How familiar are you with Barca's history?

10. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    History - I know the team started around 1899 - also, a little background on Spanish history and how that relates to Madrid/Franco vs. Barcelona... how oppressive/cruel the Franco regime was (Picasso's Guernica was sobering) and how Barcelona landed on the wrong side of the Spanish Civil War.

In terms of team history, I just know what I read on http://www.fcbarcelona.com

Is Football Manager a PS2/XBox game or an online game?

-Johnny

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear you know the club. There are a few good books on the history of the club if you're interested. As Sir Bobby Robson put it, "Catalonia is a country and FC Barcelona is their army".

Football Manager is a computer game.

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first of all, welcome chain whip. already like you :)
    if you can get we8 for the pc (can be done for free ;)) you can play with us online.

Football manager is a pc simulation game. in the game you act as the coach and general manager.

13. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If you have a few titles you'd like to recommend, that'd be great! I found Football Manager: http://www.sigames.com - looks intriguing (and addictive)

It's amazing how many incredible artists came out of Catalunya - Gaudi, Dali, to some extent Picasso (yes, he's from Malaga, but I think in his heart, he is Barcelona).

Free? Oh... I see the ;) in that. I wonder if I can play you guys on my PS2 if I get an ethernet adapter.

Thanks for the warm welcome and help so far - I'll be asking more dumb questions and I thank you in advance for your patience!

[​IMG]

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one book that should be easy for you to find at a local book store is How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer. It's not exclusively about Barca, but the author is a Cule, and he has a pretty in depth chapter on the club. A book that is specifically about Barca would be Barca: A people's passion, though you'll almost definitely have to buy that one online. The same goes for Off Side by Manuel Vazquez Montalban. That one is very good aswell.

Once again, feel free to ask any questions you have. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Espescially when the question is regarding Barca. :)

15. sweet nick willy

sweet nick willy New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, CW. Your story is similar to mine (which you can read about on the first page of this thread ;) ), though mine started 11 years ago :cool: .

Nice pictures, too. It sure is taking me back...

16. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I just read yours and wow, I feel like a SNW-clone :p :D

I can't wait to go back - hopefully on the shorter side of 11yrs.

Greddy, that "Off Side" book seems difficult to find - Mr. Montalban's a mystery writer by trade eh?

17. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is in fact a mystery book, which is why I listed it last. I should have been more clear about that. Though, the book is as much about Barca as the Davinci Code is about religion (except a little more accurate;)).

18. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Gotha - I'll get the first two and digest on those for a bit... Thanks again Greddy!

19. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    welcome Johnny

20. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thanks Mario - I've learned so much from this forum already! Can't wait for this weekend!

21. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona supporter since the days of Stoichkov.

22. SB Cruyff

SB Cruyff New Member

May 17, 2005
    Santa Barbara
    Hello all. I am 34 and live in Santa Barbara, California. I've been a Barça fan since I lived in Spain in the Spring of '91, which, luckily enough for me, coincided with the beginning of Cruyff's Dream Team. I've never been to a match at Nou Camp, but I've been to the stadium, taken the tour, been awed by the museum and have basically bled Azulgrana since that time.

I was captivated by their style, the significance of the club to its fans and its region, as well as by the city Barça represents (one of my all-time favorite cities in the world). When I first came to study in Spain, I knew precious little about fútbol in España. Growing up in California, the Mexican and South American matches were the ones I was able to watch. As I learned more and more about the club's history etc. I realized that this was the club I was born to support. It is a special club indeed.

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome to the boards. not a bad time to join us either ;)

24. gvfatlas

gvfatlas Member

Oct 6, 2004
    GDL
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hi, my name is Gary, I'm 22 and live in Santa Maria, CA. like half an hour away from Santa Barbara.
    I've been posting in the Mexico forums for a bit, but I've started to post on the barcelona forum and a couple other forums as well.

I just thought I would introduce myself to this forum.

25. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Welcome Gary