Lets Get the Excitement Back!!

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by wcssstar33, Mar 23, 2009.

1. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know the Bucks will be leaving soon, whereupon the MLS would be a great fit and the league knows it. Herb Kohl won't be able to put pressure on politicians to not accept the league.

We have the Wave, one of the, if not the, longest standing pro indoor soccer team in America.

Soccer fandom would do great in Milwaukee. Tailgating and Beer, what do we do better?

The BC or the US Cell will be coming down, opening up even more space in the Third Ward for a stadium.

The MLS seems to like the geographical rivalries. Us and Chicago would be huge.

I put us in third for new expansion in terms of where the league wants, and I think its pretty fair. And with more announced expansions coming, why not get excited!!!

1. St. Louis
    2. Montreal
    3. Milwaukee
    4. NYC2
    5. Las Vegas

2. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    To be honest I really dont think that we are third in line for an expansion. I really think we would have to prove the city's worth before that would happen, especially with no business plans being bounced around right now. As a small market team we really would have to prove that soccer would succeed. I mean look at St. Louis, MLS wants a team there and apparently are pushing investors in that direction. We need that to happen here.

3. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very true.

I just think that with two teams needed to balance the Eastern Conference, it is plausible that Milwaukee is up there. Our support of middle of the road teams, regardless of where they finish from year to year has been stellar. Even when the brewers stunk we still went to the games and supported them.

4. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree I think there are a lot of good reasons why a team could succeed in this city. Really what needs to happen is people need to unite to try and get it going again. I have been toying with the idea of gathering a group to try and write some sort of new business plan, but I could be WAY over my head here. Maybe I should start a thread to bounce around some ideas on what us normal people can do. What do you think?

5. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a great idea, but it would be ideal to wait until summer to release anything given the new influx of Arena (American) Football. THe shine will wear off on the Iron pretty quickly. If you have the ability to get a business plan going, I would get on it. The first steps have to be taken in some way.

6. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    what makes you think the bucks will be leaving? I don't think the demand for nba franchises is at a high right now. The only city that I know of that wants a franchise (nba or nhl) is kansas city.

the mayor and his cronies would be the major obstacle in getting a mls franchise.

I would like a mls team though.

7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with the recent numbers put out by the NBA, (63% of revenue going to the players) teams may start folding.

8. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    CBA will be re-done after the 10-11 season and that % will be addressed at that time.

9. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter, they aren't going to get a new arena in Milwaukee, people simply don't care about the Bucks.

An MLS team (marketed correctly) could really get some momentum.

10. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    just thought i would post this from the other thread...

Well when the buck's for the bradley center runs up in 2010 what is going to happen?... it could be 2011. I dont think that they will renew it and there is no way that they are going to build another stadium. I have heard rumors on how Attanasio wants to build a stadium in the same property as the brewers along with hotels, etc. and possiblly buying the team. Maybe we need to turn him into a soccer fan.

11. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's based in the LA area, who knows?

12. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    people care about the bucks, but they won't shell out the bucks for a bad team. milwaukee is a good basketball town.

13. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well in comparision to all other major state teams the bucks have to be the absolute bottom. I mean its natural to see someone with a brewers or packers jacket or sticker, but I really know two loyal bucks fans. I mean what are their attendance numbers this year? To me the NBA has been a streetball game for quite sometime, and its hard to care when nobody else does. I am not a basketball hater either I have played it my whole life, but this sucks.

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its true about the Bucks being bad. The attendance has not been good, and there is NO buzz where I am about them ever. There are more fans of Appalachian State football than Bucks fans.

Point is, the city would support an MLS team greatly, and the Bucks wouldn't be sorely missed.

15. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    How do people know that though? I am probably bias because I know plenty of people who would support a team, but what is Milwaukee's soccer culture like compared to other cities where MLS has been a hit?

16. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This state has some of the top competition on the youth/high school level. FC Milwaukee is very successful in the USDP, as well has having some of the best high school soccer in the country is Milwaukee Marquette, regularly in the top ten in the country.

Pros from here include Jay DeMerit, Josh Lambo, and a host of others. It isn't as much about the soccer community as it is Milwaukee itself. Milwaukee rallies around teams that work their butts off, day in and day out. Any team that gives their all for them, milwaukeeans will return the favor. The Bucks won't play defense or rebound, they just score points, thats why its not very well supported. The Brewers spent years in the dust, and they still drew very well for that reason.

Milwaukee's fan base for anything excluding the Bucks, (Packers, Admirals, Brewers, even the Wave) has been loyal. Loyalty for supporters in soccer around the world is the most important, especially when the MLS will be in philly, arguably the most fair-weather fans in the universe.

17. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Minnesota is the most fair weather fans ever.
    If the Bucks were competitive the fans will show just like most teams fans do. The aren't good and hope to get an 8th seed...that's sad. The NBA is watered down, the talent just isn't there to support 30 teams. The regular season is way too long, 82 games? a bunch of meaningless games.
    We hope and pray to win the lottery but when we have, there is no Lebron James waiting there.

18. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see the Bucks succeed, but I truly believe there is more to gain in soccer than basketball.

19. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maybe with the economy the way it is that parkeast/third ward land will free up a little easier. I believe people wanted to sell it for industrial purposes, but who is looking to do that now?

20. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy!!

[​IMG]

21. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! You are so off here. The Wave's attendance is atrocious. It's high point came in 1998-99 season, averaging over 8400 fans. This last year - 4,247. That's a drop of 50% in ten years! And you can't argue it's because of the new, silly league they are in. Back in 04-05 when they won their first championship in four years (MISL years), they averaged only 3,675. Take away the first four years, that # and this year's # are the clubs lowest average attendances. And keep in mind, those are ANNOUNCED attendances. I've been to plenty of games where they've announced 4,000 fans and it was a hell of a lot more like 2,000 fans, if that.

Now looking at the Admirals, although they had a nice increase this year, they still only averaged 5,873 fans per game - and this for a very likely championship team. Those aren't outstanding numbers my friend, especially considering the team is one of the best in the league yet are number eleven in the league for average attendance. Loyal fans? Sure. But not many, and ultimately MLS doesn't care about just loyal fans, but a lot of them. Using the Wave and Admirals as examples of this is more off-putting than attractive.

22. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee has been hit just s hard as any city in today's economy, and the wave's league is a certifiable joke. Four teams? Really? There are so many sports opportunites in this city, a few of them will dissappear in the next ten years. (i.e. the bucks/ arena football teams)

23. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wave's attendance has effectively decreased since the 98-99 season and sucked while in MISL version II. To say their attendance is down because of the current economy and league is ignoring the facts of the last ten years, when the Wave was playing in a decent league and in a great economy yet still averaging attendance in the low to mid-4000s.

24. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point of the thread was that Milwaukee would stand by a team like this. You can't tell me that the Wave's limited income to use in Milwaukee hasn't had any affect on their recent performace either.

THey had a buzz when the all-star game was in Milwaukee, but the league folded, and no one wants to see a league thats crap.

25. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three things:

1) I am not saying an MLS team won't do well because of the Wave's lack of attendance. My initial response was to you saying that the Wave and Admirals have loyal fans and that that's a good reason for MLS to look at Milwaukee. I was correcting that post with some facts. You are right, that it's unfair to say the Wave's lack of success doesn't mean an MLS team won't do well. However, it's also completely irresponsible to say an MLS team will do well based on the attendances of the Wave (and the Admirals, for that matter). It's fair game to set somebody right when they make a comment like that.

2)Regardless of the "reason for the initial post," these threads have a tendancy to serpentine as conversations lead to other conversations. Why is it so wrong for me to disagree with you? I didn't do any thread hijacking but responded to your thread with some facts that you seem to be ignoring. I'm not here to simply cheer on MLS to bring a team to Milwaukee and I'm not here to say don't bring a team. I do want a team and do want to "get the excitement back," but I want to be responsible with doing so and my hope is others would be as well. I felt your post needed clarification, at which point you decided to respond to my post. That's how these things work.

3) What I recall from the All-Star game - yes, the US Cell was supposedly "sold-out" and perhaps this is a good indication of what could be here. But calling it a buzz - I think that's a reach. A lot of those tickets were given away to fill the house. Nevertheless, a better indicaiton might be looking at the times MLS teams actually played here - the LA Galaxy vs. the Rampage at Uiehlen and Fire vs. Rampage in Franklin. Both of those games drew under 5,000. That does not bode well my friend, and one of the many reasons I don't think an MLS will work here. Especially with the city counsel making comments such as, "Over my dead body will an MLS team come to Milwaukee." Yeup, an actual quote. Why would MLS put a team here when the support of the city government goes beyond non-existent to right out anti-soccer? Especially when it's got other cities (St. Louis a prime example) where government is fully supportive and doing all it can to land a club?