Let's do away with the stupid Champions League Anthem

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by Alberto, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anything short of a diver more annoying than watching players forced to stand and appear to pay attention to that pompous anthem that is played prior to the match. The music stinks and it's meaningless to anyone but UEFA. Just terrible.

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like it.

3. FCBerken

FCBerken Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like it too. Kinda epic and goosebump giving, perfect for the bigger games IMO.

4. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MN
    Well the anthem is kind of crucial to the game.

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    champions league anthem is pretty Cheesey and annoying, but its something to get used to.. the old EPL theme is pretty good for a sports theme from europe. north america has the best sports themes

6. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like it too.Anyways, by now it has become a part of the Champions League culture and it can't be separated.

Does anyone know the lyrics?

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I like the music too (it's a ripoff of Zadok the Priest, which everyone loves), but that doesn't mean I don't think it's meaningless and overwrought. It's a mishmash of languages, and the lyrics are just stupid. The translation is something like "We are the champions, these are the best teams, this is a great sporting event, we are the masters, they are the best" repeated over and over.

I'd rather they just kept it for the telecast, and maybe as entrance music for the teams. Having everyone stand up and salute it like it's a proper national anthem is just insulting.

And don't even get me started on the Europa League anthem.

8. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    I think the anthem should be played as the players walk on to the pitch and they shake hands with each other and stuff, like in Pro Evo 4 video game. Don't make them have to stand still and pretend listening to it.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe this fella has the right idea...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsUWcK-PzY"]YouTube- Billy Connolly - The National Anthem[/ame]

But forget about the archer's theme song. How about the theme from 'Match Of The Day' :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPiZc2pkrb8"]YouTube- BBC Match of the Day - TV Intro (IN STEREO)[/ame]

That way they can all jig about in time with the music. That should get them warmed up nicely :D

10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks!!!

I tried searching for the lyrics but couldn't locate them. Could you post them here. I think the lyrics also include names of the clubs that won the European Cup/Champions League in its formative years.

11. FCBerken

FCBerken Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lyrics:

Ce sont les meilleures équipes
    die allerbesten Mannschaften
    The main event!

Die Meister
    Die Besten
    Les Grandes Équipes
    The Champions!

Une grande réunion
    Eine große sportliche Veranstaltung
    The main event!

Ils sont les meilleurs
    Sie sind die Besten
    These are the champions!

Die Meister
    Die Besten
    Les Grandes Équipes
    The Champions!

Die Meister
    Die Besten
    Les Grandes Équipes
    The Champions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_Anthem

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow! I bet it took them a long time to come up with those... at LEAST 5 mins. They probably spent the rest of the afternoon in the pub.

13. JayBoy

JayBoy Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Lewisham, S. London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love the Champions League theme. It's simple but very emotive.

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/music/index.html
    You can navigate there by the UEFA home page, UEFA Champoins League tab, then the last item in the top menu is a "More" drop-down, and one of those items is Anthem.

You can also get a picture of George Frideric Handel there.

The site notes that "The music, which cannot be bought or legally downloaded from any website..."

Europa League anthem:
    http://en.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/music/index.html
    Navigate there in a similar way. This is instrumental, with no lyrics.

When I hear the CL theme, I think of those commercials from last year of Heiniken beer, where a snappily-dressed chorus follows a guy buying the brew from the store, and, in my favorite quirky spot, is actually standing in the guy's swimming pool during his party.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    yeah, probably. lol But most anthems' lyrics are stupid. England's "God save the queen" being a prime example.

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Get the heck out of here ... that music is epic and makes the hairs on your arms stand at attention. I freaking love that music!

What they should do away with are allowing teams to play their songs when the score. That's annoying as hell.

17. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. The music is nice. Moreover its been associated with the CL since time immemorial. Its become a necessary precursor to every game.

But the lyrics, which I have only come across now (thanks FC Berken), are meaningless.

18. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Not to mention that the German part clearly wasn't written by a native speaker. Or if it was, the guy probably was an elementary school drop-out.

19. FCBerken

FCBerken Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is very epic, perfect build up for those big international matches.

And yea, the German part always strikes me as odd. Very weirldy formulated like no native speaker would, as Alex_K pointed out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWoD-FOWzhI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWoD-FOWzhI&feature=related[/ame]

20. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    That anthem is awesome! It sounds regal, glorious...like the entrance theme for a king. It's perfect for the mystique and glamour of the tournament.

21. oneheadertoomany

Feb 15, 2008
    Are you kidding? It's awesome. Check out what Heineken did with it in this brilliant marketing prank:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_URyWFBOy4&feature=related"]YouTube- Heineken Italy Activation Milan AC Real Madrid[/ame]

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jock Rock is lame.

The CL Anthem after all this years still gives chills and sounds Epic.

23. foxflyer5

foxflyer5 New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    i love the anthem. especially the full version, gets me all pumped up. the players dont care about it, so maybe they need to hear their country's national anthem before the matches. but the song itself is stirring.

24. ralphs

ralphs New Member

May 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, I hated hearing the anthem over and over on TV, especially between halves. But hearing it in person after they awarded the trophy to Inter was really something. Felt epic, I wanted to shed a tear even though I don't care much for Inter!

this video is amazing.

25. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands