Let's assuming 32 clubs in MLS...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Paulo PT, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    What competition format do you prefer?

A) 2 Conferences with 16 clubs. (most complex format)
    30 regular season games between same conference teams: Western Conference Champion, Eastern Conference Champion, Supporter's Shield winner (60% weight for away games. 40% weight for home games).

MLS CUP (Playoffs): 32 clubs
    R1: Bottom 16
    R2: 8 (R1)+8 new teams
    R3: 8 (R2) + Top 8 teams
    R4: 8 (R3)
    R5: 4
    R6: 2 - Championship Game. MLS Champion.

Total: 41 games

B) 4 Conferences with 8 clubs.
    14 same conference games + 24 interconference games=38 games + Playoffs (8 clubs, 5 games)
    Total: 43 games

C) 8 divisions with 4 clubs each maybe some kind of conference grouping for conference titles purposes.
    6+26=32 games + Playoffs (8 clubs, 5 games)
    Total: 37 games

D) Other.

Playoffs could have multiple formats.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pc4th, that you?

3. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D. Other.

Here's my NFL-inspired scheduling formula.

Two 16-team conferences made up of two 8-team divisions/groups/regions.

Play everyone in your division twice: 7 home, 7 away (14)

Play the opposite division in your conference once: 4 home, 4 away alternating annually (8)

Play all teams from a division in the opposite conference once, alternating annually: 4 home, 4 away alternating biennially (8).

Play 4 teams from the other division once based on the previous seasons' results: 2 home, 2 away (4). The pairings and hosts could be decided a number of ways.

As for the playoffs, it's not my first choice, but the format could remain largely unchanged from the current one and be pretty good.

Owen Thornhill repped this.
  4. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I'd divide each conference into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. You would play the opposing conference teams 8 home, 8 away alternating biennially (16). Teams would play home and away against the teams in their own division and the teams in one of the the other in-conference divisions, alternating between all three over a 3-year cycle like the NFL does (14). They would play against the teams in the other two in conference divisions 4 home, 4 away alternating the following year (8). Playoffs would be like the NFL: The two division winners with the best records would get byes to the second round while the other two division winners would play against two wildcard teams with the next best records in a play-in round. the Rest of the playoffs would follow the current MLS format.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why stop at 32, why not 92 like England?

6. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    We're talking about D1 not all professional divisions!

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about 68 D1 teams split in to 4 regional divisions.

Top 7 in each automatically go into the play-offs. 8 teams go in to 2 legged wild card games for the remaining 4 spots.

Remaining teams and wild-card teams go in to a Championship Shield competition. Both the MLS Cup and Championship Shield finals are played in the same stadium on the same day.

Simple huh? ;)

I can't believe I spent the last 15 minutes writing this BS. :rolleyes:

New York City (Bronx/Manahattan)
    Long Island
    LA x 2
    Chicago
    Houston
    Philly
    Phoenix
    San Antonio
    San Diego/Tijuana
    Dallas
    San Jose
    Austin
    Jacksonville
    San Francisco/San Rafael
    Indy
    Columbus
    Charlotte
    Detroit
    El Paso
    Seattle
    Denver
    DC
    Memphis
    Boston/NE
    Oklahoma
    Portland
    Vega
    Louisville
    Milwaukee
    Albuquerque
    Fresno
    Sacramento
    Kansas City
    Atlanta
    Virginia Beach
    Omaha
    Raleigh
    Miami
    Minneapolis
    Tulsa
    Cleveland
    Wichita
    Arlington
    Tampa Bay
    Anaheim
    St Louis
    Pittsburgh
    Cincinatti
    Toledo
    New Jersey
    Buffalo
    Niagara Canada
    Montreal
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Ottawa
    St Pete
    Reno
    Baton Rouge
    Rochester
    Tacoma/Olympia
    Salt Lake City
    Providence
    Eugene
    Springfield IL
    Wilmington
    One other (Nashville/Memphis/Calgary/PNW?)

8. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I believe this is where MLS will be going in the future. Playoffs will be the top four teams in each conference of four playing it out. Just like the NHL. It has been good for them.

9. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    That took you 15 minutes?

10. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y
    The schedule seems reasonable, but I want the postseason to be seeded based on performance, not geography.

The easiest way to do it would be to just continue what we're doing now.

11. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    From all options available I don't like unbalanced Schedule like yours because is not fair, equal to all teams, etc. Doen't makes sense leaving 4 teams behind.

I LIke B), but maybe 43 games are to many... (58-60 games per season)

Next I Will say C)

Are 34 games not 32:
    - 6 home and away games inside same division, plus one game with each team from the others 7 divisions (28).
    - Playoffs: 8 division winners.

Owen Thornhill repped this.
  12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life isn't fair. If you're looking for fairness, you exist in the wrong plane of existence.

13. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    4 x 8 team conferences. Play everyone in your conference 4 times. = 28 games, weekend slot for USOC/Voyagers cup. Playoff's for top 3 in each conference (2nd and 3rd get play in round). Teams who finish league in the bottom 4 of each conference have a extra round in the Domestic cups. 1/ 2 conferences with warmer climates can start a month early in March and take August off.

2 ways 1 by climate

SE Conference Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, DC United, Jacksonville, Louisville, Tampa Bay, Philly
    SW Conference LAFC, LA Galaxy, Sacramento, San Jose, Dallas and Houston, San Antonio, Portland
    NW Conference Vancouver, Seattle, Minnesota, Salt Lake, Colorado Rapids, Kansas City, Indy 11, Chicago
    NE Conference New England, Montreal, Toronto, NYCFC, Energy drink, Ottawa , Columbus, Rochester

SE and SW start in Mid January and take 6 weeks off in the summer Mid July till Sept 1st.
    Louisville, Philly, Portland and Sacramento play first 2 weeks on the road to avoid cold weather.

2. By Distance

West Conference Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Jose, Sacramento, Salt Lake, LAFC, La Galaxy
    South Conference Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Atlanta
    NE Conference Montreal, Ottawa, Rochester, New England, NYCFC, Energy Drink, Philly, DC United
    North Conference Columbus, Indy 11, Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City, Colorado Rapids, Toronto, Louisville

South conference could start Mid January and take 6 weeks off in the summer.

I would also play the Championship game First week of December in Dallas (Easy to fly to and a warm climate)

14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you did there.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random climates presumably. San Jose's average day time temperature is about 20 degrees cooler than Sacramento in the summer.