Lessons learned from this Weekend's Group C Friendlies

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by StatesideSoccer, May 30, 2010.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you England fans are just going to make smartass comments then get out. This thread was fine before one of you showed up whining about something or other... what the hell do you expect at that point?

You know normally I'm on your side, considering some of the ridiculousness on these boards, but you make it difficult when you come in and let loose with with quips and condescending youtube links when almost completely unprovoked. How about you grow up a little bit?

2. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    qft

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The original post was laughably bias in assessing both games and my comment was entirely accurate.

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your gripe? I honestly don't see it. I read much worse evaluations of that match: (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2994343/Rio-Were-too-slow-and-too-stupid.html) He could have made more of the own goals, and he still favors ENGLAND TO WIN.

This is not the first time, but it sure seems to me that some England fans have inexplicably fragile egos. You've got a better squad than you've had for many years, and instead of brimming with confidence and hope, you're doing the opposite.

5. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pretty interesting facts, don't really know why you did this, but it was a fun read. Can Uruguay really be called 1st tier though? I know they won the World Cup twice (I believe) waaaay back in the day but considering the last, what, 40 years maybe, they haven't been close. I might be wrong though.

6. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The honorable man from England is calling me, out me thinks.

For the record, my good sir, I'm the most critical of the teams I support. So if you think I was bias towards the US in that post, then it's only because I'm cheering for both the US and England to get out of the group, but England to win.

That being said, where on EARTH do your English fans get your smug sense of superiority and entitlement when it comes to international soccer? You've won the World Cup once thanks to the help of an assistant referee. So, honestly, I'd like to know where those big ol' English balls come from.

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They invented it?

Also, one WC is like, infinity more than the US has won.

8. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get back on topic please.

9. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on topic: England still doesn't have a world class keeper on their roster. Given that their backline is aging, and Glen Johnson was personally responsible for me ripping my hair out on multiple occasions for his propensity to lose his man after making an ill-advised foray into the attack, it is England's weakness.

10. InsideNation

InsideNation New Member

May 28, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't follow soccer that much. Does the USA stand a chance of getting into the bracket? I am in a challenge and have to pick the teams that will advance out of the group matches and need some help! Any thoughts would be helpful.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't really matter, the US can't get multiple quality shots on target against the Czech Republic, let alone England.

12. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question for England is, "Will they get past the quarter-finals?"
    The question for the USA is, "Will they get out of their group?"

I'll be content with accomplishing what is expected, and overjoyed if we get one big upset before we're knocked out. This is our only chance to earn some respect. Gold Cups, CONCACAF qualifying, FIFA ranking, and friendlies mean nothing to people. If we lose out to Slovenia, we'll be bashed by the Euros for another four years. :mad:

13. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Impressively indicting post.

14. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice revisionist history. The United States scored twice on the Czech's, and Petr Cech had a couple of nice saves from distance. 7 of the players who suited up for that match are not going to the WC.

You're seriously trying to use a match that didn't feature 90% of our starting lineup to make a point? A match where we netted two goals against a keeper who is significantly better than any keeper currently on the English squad?

15. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about anyone else, but I don't give a shit if the Euro's bash us. I care about our performance because this is the best squad (talent wise) that we have ever taken to the WC. We need to advance out of this group to prove to ourselves that we're a legitimate contender on the World stage. You will see many of the same players donning the shirt for this WC in 4 years time too.

This is a vital WC for soccer in this country. We truly need to advance out of our group to prove that we are producing world class talent, and to capitalize on the attention and hype surrounding our squad.

16. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    What I learned:

USA
    a) Lacks depth
    b) Bornstein is still awful
    c) Findley not only deserves to be on the roster, he deserves a lot of PT
    d) Onyewu is not 100% yet, but looked to be improving in the Turkey match
    e) Dempsey is better right now in midfield than up top
    f) Torres is in good form

England
    a) Deadly on set pieces
    b) Even the less well-known players have moments of brilliance in them
    c) Rooney is not in great form
    d) Both centerbacks look a step slow
    e) Central midfield is unsettled
    f) Is not as good in possession as I had previously heard

Overall
    USA is in trouble on both wings, but not as badly outmatched as I feared in the middle. If we play a lineup with attacking speed we will create a couple chances. Onyewu has to return to top form fast to defend all the crosses we'll be giving up. My head says 2-1 England, I'll be hoping for 2-1 USA.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't seriously need to explain our offensive situation to you do I? The bottom line is shots on target for this team are very hard to come by... so celebrating their goal-keeper selection, who is still a pretty damn good shot stopper in spite of the silly mistakes he makes, is kind of funny. Teams that get shots on target are teams that should be happy about this kind of thing, not the US.

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Search here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180

19. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    The US defense is allowing too many goals. I was watching the USA X Australia friendly yesterday and noticed that the US had trouble with Australia's very average air game. That could be a key factor in the game against England. In the friendly against Turkey defense coverage was a big issue. Jonathan Spector (right back) had a horrible game, and it could have cost the game if it wasn't for Turkey's inability to put the ball on the back of the net. Luckily for the US, neither Turkey nor Australia are world-class teams. Australia, in particular, looked very slow and uncoordinated in the friendly against the US. The bottom line is, at this stage of the game the US should not be trying to solve problems and correct mistakes. They had four years to do this. If they think they are going to advance with 3 points like they did in the Confederations Cup, the US might be taking and early flight back home.

20. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a f*cking soothsayer.

Nailed it.

21. JANEZ

JANEZ New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
  22. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capello made a huge blunder with his starting XI. I would've gone James or Hart, and the minute I saw Green, I smiled. If the best England can trot out is Robert Green in net, this could be a long tournament for them.

23. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full props to lfcli30. Speaking of which, where are the people who said "friendlies" didn't matter?

If this particular weekend of friendlies wasn't at least 85% representative of England's, the US's and Japan's World Cup runs so far, I'll eat my hat ... well, first I'll have to buy a hat, but then I'll eat it.