Lesbian teen to sent to fake prom

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Crazy_Yank, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/06/national/main6367855.shtml

I know everyone is going to be shocked that this happened in Mississippi, but honors student Constance McMillen asked for the right to bring her girlfriend to prom and wear a tuxedo. The school said no so she successfully sued to the school for violating her civil rights. The school decided to instead cancel the prom. This led to town parents in cahoots with school administrators to "host a private party" as a prom and not invite Constance. She and some learning disabled students were sent to a country club for "prom".

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Students knew it too. Some of the crap that they've been saying about her is low as well. One of them is reasoning that she just wants attention.

Also, the vast majority of those students left their Facebook profiles open. There's been several sites showing profiles and pictures of students at the real prom.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Of course the homecoming queen with the $500 dress, $200 hairdo, tons of makeup and glitter doesn't wan't any.

1 person likes this.
  4. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    What the hell is wrong with America?

5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I read about this earlier in the week and it completely disgusted me.

I seriously hope that there are college admissions administrators combing through those Facebook profiles and preparing revocations of acceptances for students who participated in the bullying.

6. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is homophobia every where. Not just in the US :rolleyes:

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's even more appalling that LD kids were sent to same fake prom. Honestly, what is wrong with these people? What happened to simply common decency?

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This has been in the news over here for weeks, if not months (maybe not on the headlines, but it was there)

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Little scumbags grow up to be scummy adults. It's the circle of scuminess.

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    To be fair, America (e.g. the courts) founded in her favour in the initial case. The real question is what the hell is wrong with Mississippi?

I am going to have to agree with Barbara about hte learning disabled students beign sent to the 'fake prom' being (somehow, yes they managed it...) even more disgusting. As somebody with a heavily diasbled sister, I can't actually put into words how angry that has made me.

11. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Or: The Apple Don't Fall Far From the Tree

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot.

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Yeah but I've not seen it manifest itself so visibly by authority figures. There's homophobia in the UK but you wouldn't expect shit like this.

Isn't Mississippi the place where the feds had to step in to stop the lynchings?

14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what's so horrible about this story. We sort of expect kids to be assholes but the idea that there were adults involved in something this mean and nasty is just mind-boggling.

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe it's because they don't have to deal with homosexuals. We've already been assured that there are no gay people in Iran, for example.

Agreed. I honestly do not know how adults could feel good about this. And as you pointed out, there were learning disabled students tricked into going to the fake prom as well. I cannot conceive such a level of petty spitefulness.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  18. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you that extrapolating the administrators, parents, and students involved in this incident to the people of Mississippi is unfair.

I would like to think that some people connected with the school did not go along with this travesty.

In any case, many of them will have a lifetime to reflect upon what they have done. Some of them may learn to regret their actions. I know I have some I wish I could take back, but now have to live with.

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think you will find many western countries where shit like this gets pulled, tbh.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,how many other countries are there where the social and cultural life of most communities is based on what children 8-22 do?

The best play for miles is the school musical.
    The best team is the high school team.
    The best employer is the college.
    More people know the principal than the mayor.
    The most fun you'll have in your life will be prom.

So it's not surprising that this occurs in schools in rural and suburban America and is then reported.It's the most visible place in these towns.

If you're trying to tell me homophobia doesn't exist in other countries,I don't believe you.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Those kids are cruel bigots for a reason. People aren't born with prejudices.

1 person likes this.
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well of course it does. But we are talking about homophobia at an institutionalized level. I attended a Catholic HS and there were several openly gay girls and boys, and never were they banned from any school activity.

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,neither was this girl,in the end.The school was compelled to admit her.The majority families then organized a seperate non-sanctioned event using I assume private funds.

I'd be interested in knowing whether Belgian public schools fund annual teenage mating rituals,or is prom an example of American exceptionalism?

The willingness of a community to circumvent court decisions mandating inclusion is instructive,and possibly uniquely American (though I doubt it).

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Over here we've got the same thing, only it's known as a 'Debs' (debutants ball). I could be wrong, but I would assume it is a fairly universal thing in the western world.

25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right,but is it actually sanctioned by a governmental educational institution,as opposed to being funded by a private social organization?