Les Filles de France (Women's NT)

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by lefutur, Jul 20, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    here's the best part: canada is beating the USA at HT. so gold was closer at 70' of our game than bronze is now.

bini used to come see OL play fairly often. if he dares to this season (not bloody likely) he's going to get some pretty serious abuse. soubeyrand has no choice, she has to come once and the banners are being prepared now, believe me. there's a highly defendable view that france lost because bini wanted to play as few lyonnaises and as many juvisiennes as possible (meaning 8 and 2 respectively)...

thiney i can understand. she's usually really good. but soubeyrand has barely put a foot right in 6 months. what kind of twisted logic even puts her on the squad, much less makes her starter and captain?

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    so Bruno Bini knowing played some players that would hurt his chances of advancing in the tournament? that sounds like some kind of conspiracy theory. i'm not saying youre wrong. even the english commentator in the feed I was watching thought it was very strange that BB didnt make those changes much earlier in the game.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's not a conspiracy. it's actually an understandable strategy where the mentality of the group, on and off the field, is as important as individual talent; for me, so far so good. amandinegate i can live with... and i wish all the guys i talk with on french women's football forums could too, believe me, i'm a moderate! as for starting tatane (thiney) that i'm OK with too. she's has an excruciatingly bad tournament but she's normally so good that hoping she'll break out of her slump is no delirious utopia. and bini can change his mind when enough evidence piles up, like leaving off his pet pailladine defender ophelie meilleroux when laura george showed she was better. but not being able to see the chasm of liability, the inexorable catastrophe that playing soubeyrand for even 5 minutes entails, hints at some kind of clinical disorder.

18 months ago she was unable to run for more than half an hour. in 2012 she has not actually "run" more than 30 metres in over 300 minutes. if such stats were available, as for the men, it would not only stand out that she runs less than anyone on the field besides the keepers (less than the refs or even lineswomen probably), but that players like abily, bompastor or franco run twice and perhaps even THREE TIMES as much as she does. it souns like i'm crazy. but take a look yourself and you'll see i'm not exagerrating.

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to make a joker earlier about how many heart attacks guignol had during those last 10-15 mins of play but reconsidered after the amount of drama between canada and usa, regardless I think france has 1 advantage in that canada is pretty much exhausted however canada played very well and will probably be gunning to get something out of this tournament and so will france creating an anticipated 3rd place game, though probably not as loaded as USA vs Japan

5. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree wholeheartedly with Guignol on this. I couldn't understand why Abily wasn't a starter in this team, and the same can be said about Eugénie Le Sommer.

But we also have to face the fact that we have huge defence weaknesses. Conceding 2 goals like that shouldn't happen no matter what.

When we see the talent of this generation and how dominating has been OL this season both in Ligue 1 and Champions League, we can really have some regrets.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    france has another advantage: they're simply a much better team at least if the last two matchups are any indication: 4-0 in the 2011 WWC but even more impressive was the cyprus cup final : 2-0 with a goal in each half and canada not getting the ball cleanly out of their half on the ground ONCE in 90'. but canada also has an advantage: soubeyrand didn't play in cyprus and i have a sick gut feeling that she'll be captain again in the bronze medal match.

shouldn't happen, absolutely. but can't really be put down to the "defense" either! the first was a surreal shocker by bouhaddi who, if you look at her last 10-12 matches, you will see is an excellent keeper and above all at claiming balls just like that. the second was cigar store indian defending by ONE player... beside those two FK's japan didn't get a sniff at goal until aroung 88' when les bleues were in damn the torpedoes mode.

and look at how those two FK's were awarded: the second is soubeyrand losing a ball by a combination of inattention and total lack of physique, and buss had to come save her bacon with a heavy tackle. the first? i also put it down to soubeyrand. because what the hell is wendy renard doing 40m from goal while japan has the ball marking a player she has no hope of turning with? she's covering the huge gap left by soubeyrand unable to cover even half the ground a player at her post needs to. 2-3 seconds after wendy made that foul soub' comes trotting back trying to pretend she wasn't really that far out of place. i should sympathize... i do the same thing when i play. but i'm 55 year old, 10 kg overweight, and only do sunday kickabouts; i don't have the unmitigated gall to think i can represent my country at the olympics in a discipline where my team can, should MUST win a medal.

7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    but you cant blame the loss on just one player. France should have played much better collectively in the first half, they were just lofting long balls up field, couldnt string 2 passes together and seemed just plain scared. scared again would be how i would describe the player who took the penalty that would have equalized the score.where was Necib for the first 70 mins of the match? not her usual confident self. it wasnt until france were almost dead that she started playing. it was a bit of collective mental frailty that cost france this match and its something you see often from french athletes. even when they are athletically and technically superior to their opponents they dont have the mental killer instinct that an american would have for example.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i sign on almost word for word to everything you say; but even so it would have been enough to win yesterday going away. the japanese weren't very good either. they accomplished nothing. on quality of play the match was still 0-0 on the hour. but the difference after that was that france raised the pressure and the tempo the notch that the japanese weren't able to answer. and that is down to the subs, and primarily down to abily because once france got into the rhythm that had beaten 17 straight opponents thiney possibly could have looked as good as ELS did. all of a sudden there was that one extra player available around the ball all the time. to give nécib the balls and the options. to force the japanese to reinforce the middle and open up spaces on the wings.

bussaglia scared? perhaps. but if she was why did she step up to take a shot she should have left to another? no, she was just too tired. that's how i see it. and she was tired because she'd been playing for two for almost an hour. if bini hand't forced his hand (like always) for his first sub we might have seen catala for bussaglia around 75'.

a last peeve: when soub went off she told cam to take the armband to (club teammate) thiney, even though it was clear she was coming off in a couple of minutes for eugénie. just putting it on camille would have been classier. but better still? let her take it to bompastor. better yet have her wear it all the time. why? because soso's the boss. she's the boss at triple crown lyon, she's the boss on the field for les bleues. she was even the boss (or one of them) at washington. and in the papers this morning you read sarah's and élise's mea maxima culpa , bini's excuses...soubeyrand just as invisible in the zone mixte or in the papers as on the field... and sonia putting all the dots on the i's.

the boss.

9. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it's a bit of everything you both said. And overall, there's a real lack of experience in headcoaching that's undisputable.

I think Bini is too much a coach of the old generation, when women's football was confidential and amateur. Before Ligue 1 clubs invested in it. The fact he wants to keep girls from Juvisy in the team tends to prove that. Maybe he fears the good spirit of women football will be ruined by money the way it is in men football. But we can't have the results without more professionalism, it's just impossible. Conceding 1 "but casquette" in a high profile game can happen, but 2, that can't be only about bad luck anymore.

We have the talent, but not the experience. And that's particularly sad considering we should have both now with Lyon's outstanding results in France and Europe.

After the two disappointing results of the World Cup and the Olympics, I'm wondering if a bit of fresh air in headcoaching wouldn't be a good thing in order to forget about our regrets and move forward again.

10. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Guignol is unfortunately right about Soubeyrand. That was clearly obvious.

Japan made roll the ball a lot to exhaust French players, but at the 65th minute, only the two defensive midfielders, Bussaglia and Soubeyrand, were exhausted in the French side. The rest of our girls remained in surprising good shape especially in the last 15 minutes, when it was the Japanese girls who couldn't run anymore!

And there's nothing new in the fact the team raises up its level of play when Camille Abily is in. In all the games of the tournament, Camille Abily made the difference in coming in. The difference is so huge that we could even think we talk about 2 different teams.

Against North Korea, the girls struggled badly in 1st half-time. We only scored the first goal at the 45th minute after a huge effort. But after the 62nd minute, when Thomis and Abily went in, it wasn't the same game anymore. France scored 4 goals in 15 minutes. Everything became so easy.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    getting rid of bini would be a godsend. the problem is that the only interesting replacements for him are liar and ouistiti and besides neither of these being in odeur de sainteté in the hallowed halls of our fédé farid's just starting a super neat-o job at PSG and patrice coaching the same players but in different uniforms isn't much fresh air and he's probably already starting to get on their nerves anyway.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    buss because she was covering ground for two. soub gets winded just singing the marseillaise.

the cause for this is double: abily coming in and mamie going out. it's not so much that cam is a superwoman as the difference between the two being so enormous. an interesting experiment would be to bring soub off for no one and see if there's any observable change in the game.

Marotte [marɔt] n.f. manie, idée fixe. Syn: dada, toquade, obsession. Ang: craze

13. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You're thinking about Patrice Lair and Farid Benstiti, current headcoaches of OL and PSG?

I don't know well enough women's football to know, but is it really so different from the men sport that they need specific coaching? I mean, can't a coach who used to manage Ligue 1 teams be able to coach our ladies (with a women's expert to second him) ?

As an idea, it would be cool to have someone like Jean Tigana or even Lionel Charbonnier at the head of the women team to make a bridge between both équipes de France. And I'm sure the girls would consider this as some kind of recognition. The only thing is that I have no clue if the guys would be able to do the job or if the gap is just too huge between both different worlds.

Maybe you can asnwer...

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, those two. they're both very good.

it is very different. first of all just psychologically, although neither lair nor benstiti have the "feminine" approach of bini... or domenech. but above all the physical difference takes a while to get used to. first reaction of a coach coming from the men's game would be "crikey! none of these girls are any f***ing good at all!" and then, those limitations have repercussions on strategy and tactics, on practice and match management that indeed make the difference between the very top level of women and any pro men's team as big as between CFA and poussins. obviously relatively few men start out coaching girls but they start out with youth teams and get into one groove or another early.

here's an anecdote: my son played basketball at a pretty good youth level, they were champions départementale du rhône minimes excellence, and since the rhone is a pretty big department that's tougher than most ligues régionales. their coach was a young lady who was so good that she got a real coaching job paying better than peanuts at FC Lyon, a fairly big female club. and she washed out in less than a season. no idea what she was doing. so she went back to taking boy's teams to titles year after year.

15. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes Guignol, I'm aware of that difference. It's obvious that physically and technically it's just another galaxy. However, I was wondering if it wasn't possible to re-adapt to the level of play. After all, there's no reason why a good Ligue 1 coach couldn't coach well a poussins team.

The thing is that I feel the women's game is currently changing of nature. And the FFF should find a way to accompany such a change in the best way. It is now that we should get our chance to figure well because soon you'll see all the big nations of football shining in Women's tournaments: Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, England, Netherlands... and of course Germany, the US, Canada, Japan, Sweden will stay up there. And I don't even talk about growing China.

Maybe getting a men coach isn't the solution, but there should be one. We have really talented players, it is so obvious each time I see a women game that they have something others don't have. It would be sad to waste again our chances in upcoming competitions (especially next years's euro and 2015 world cup).

Do you think Soubeyrand out and Bini remaining in would be enough to win the euro?

16. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    FranceTV a un problème technique ou c'est le commentateur qui passe son temps à s'humecter les lèvres ? C'est insupportable.

17. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
  18. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I want to die !

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you'll get over it!

i'm going over to laura george's house right after work to put up a MERCI LAURA sign on her gate. she was great this tournament.

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    i missed this game. thank god. saw the commentary on Eurosport and realized i would have been miserable afterwards.

So what happened? Bad luck or poor finishing?

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    here's one thing though: a couple of years ago i would have bene the only one here who cared about this at all. so things are moving forward... just like bruno bini says!

22. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    • sexism is akin to racism and contrary to the BS TOS
    womens football is a oxymoron.

23. pindal

pindal Member

Aug 26, 2010
    2015 FIFA women's world cup squad:

GK
    1 Céline Deville - FCF Juvisy
    16 Sarah Bouhaddi - France Olympique Lyon
    21 Méline Gérard - Olympique Lyon

DF
    2 Wendie Renard - Olympique Lyon
    3 Laure Boulleau - Paris Saint-Germain
    4 Laura Georges - Paris Saint-Germain
    5 Sabrina Delannoy - Paris Saint-Germain
    8 Jessica Houara - Paris Saint-Germain
    19 Griedge Mbock Bathy - EA Guingamp
    20 Anaïg Butel - FCF Juvisy
    22 Amel Majri - Olympique Lyon

MF
    6 Amandine Henry - Olympique Lyon
    7 Kenza Dali - Paris Saint-Germain
    10 Camille Abily - Olympique Lyon
    11 Claire Lavogez - Montpellier HSC
    12 Élodie Thomis - France Olympique Lyon
    14 Louisa Nécib - France Olympique Lyon
    15 Élise Bussaglia - France Olympique Lyon
    23 Kheira Hamraoui - Paris Saint-Germain

FW
    9 Eugénie Le Sommer - Olympique Lyon
    13 Kadidiatou Diani - FCF Juvisy
    17 Gaëtane Thiney - FCF Juvisy
    18 Marie-Laure Delie - Paris Saint-Germain

24. pindal

pindal Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Personally my squad would have been:

GK
    1 Céline Deville - FCF Juvisy
    16 Sarah Bouhaddi - Olympique Lyon
    21 Méline Gérard - Olympique Lyon

DF
    2 Wendie Renard - Olympique Lyon
    3 Laure Boulleau - Paris Saint-Germain
    4 Marion Tòrrent - Montpellier HSC
    5 Sabrina Delannoy - Paris Saint-Germain
    23 Jessica Houara - Paris Saint-Germain
    13 Julie Soyer - FCF Juvisy
    20 Anaïg Butel - FCF Juvisy
    22 Amel Majri - Olympique Lyon

MF
    6 Amandine Henry - Olympique Lyon
    7 Kenza Dali - Paris Saint-Germain
    8 Sandie Toletti - Montpellier HSC
    10 Camille Abily - Olympique Lyon
    11 Claire Lavogez - Montpellier HSC
    12 Élodie Thomis - Olympique Lyon
    14 Louisa Nécib - Olympique Lyon
    15 Élise Bussaglia - Olympique Lyon

FW
    9 Eugénie Le Sommer - Olympique Lyon
    17 Gaëtane Thiney - FCF Juvisy
    18 Marie-Laure Delie - Paris Saint-Germain
    19 Clarisse Le Bihan - EA Guingamp

25. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well well well can't wait to watch the match vs South Korea today at 4oclock
    my brother is in Montreal he's going to be there

ALLEZ LES FILLES !!!

:)

guignol and Pandore repped this.