Lennard Maloney at 1.FC Heidenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 30, 2017.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he played 8 min yesterday in a 2-0 loss.

This loan will obviously not be enough for 1st team next season. Either he leaves permanently or this is just a loan to get some match practice after barely playing for almost 2 years. And then will need another loan, whether more 3rd Liga or not who knows. I certainly don't think what he's done is good enough for 2BL.

3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    TxEx, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Picked up a 1st half red card in a 3-0 loss.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good luck playing after this, Chemnitzer conceded 3/3 goals after the red card. The club is fighting relegation battle there is no need for this type of thing.

7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Hope he gets comfortable in the doghouse.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, no matter what happens, they can never take away his graduation rose.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's not going to train with Union Berlin 1st team when they return. Has been doing trial at Dortmund II.
    https://www.kicker.de/780453/artikel

that shows that there might be no real interest in him from 2BL-3rd Liga that he has to go down to RL. And even if he joins he wouldn't be a Dortmund 1st team prospect either. Could try to use Dortmund II to go upwards in future.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In addition to German citizenship, you also have American citizenship. How is your overseas connection?
    My father is from Florida, so I have both citizenships. My family, who still lives there, lives in Virginia Beach. A wonderful travel destination, which I can only recommend to everyone. In general, I also always follow what is happening in the country and what developments there are. Unfortunately, I haven't been in the US privately for almost three years because I barely have time.

You mean because the breaks between seasons are very short?
    Yes exactly. If I would like to fly to the USA and visit my family, I would like to stay there for several weeks to make it worthwhile. If you were to travel just under a week, you would have to struggle with jet lag more than anything else. But the time will come sometime. First of all, of course, I want to pursue other goals.

With dual citizenship, you also had the choice between the German and American national teams. You played in many UB national teams and later chose the USA U20 - why?
    I didn't do this rethinking 100% myself. One evening the U19 national team coached me via SMS. At first I thought I was kidding (laughs). But I called him shortly afterwards and then decided to do it. It is of course no secret that the level of training in Germany is significantly higher and there is a higher level of performance. Nevertheless, it was a matter of the heart for me to play for the USA. When the opportunity arose, some tears flowed.
    https://www.chemnitzerfc.de/cfc/akt...=10653&cHash=ff4f472970a5578b5b3e090653ceb8a2

he was never going to make it with Germany anyways besides friendlies which calls ups are all over the place he never relevant player.

still 20, turns 21 in October still has a long road ahead but that school detour is now forcing him to go back as far as RL. I still recall Maloney in past had tryouts with numerous clubs and he failed all of them besides Chemnitzer. Will Dortmund II succeed or fail?

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why would there be any? Out of 16 ruckrunde games, he was suspended for one and didn't make the squad for three, getting 345 minutes with only 4 starts. Which means that, even with 5 subs per games, he still couldn't get more than garbage minutes on a relegated side.

He won't turn 21 until late October, so it's not the end of the road for him by any means, but any future he has will involve a season or two in RL to build a career as a lower-division journeyman. It'll probably include a stint in USL. Then he can "get in touch with his roots" a lot more easily :confused:

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    even with limited game time I've seen players go from one 3rd Liga club to another. Reality is Maloney didn't really impress which is why he's forced to go down to RL. Him spending 1-2 years in RL wouldn't be surprising and then will have to move up from there and who knows what is ceiling ends up being.

also saw recent report where Maloney is one of the players Union wants to get rid of.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    from 2 days ago,
    seems like its more concrete
    "At the moment we assume that Lennard will change," said Union manager Oliver Ruhnert on Saturday in the four-day short training camp of the Iron in Bad Saarow. Ruhnert did not want to confirm that the U 23 of the BVB was the goal. "I can't say that at the moment," said the 48-year-old.

also kicker says it's not certain whether it's loan or permanent but if it's a loan should be 2 years.
    https://www.kicker.de/780959/artikel/maloney_wechsel_zum_bvb_ii_wird_konkreter

Maloney is perfect example why I think 1BL-2BL clubs with no II team is mistake.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be that Maloney just aint that good.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he's not that great of a player if one is honest but school, 1st team getting 1BL promotion and no II team definitely have it made harder for him.

reality is next crop of German-Americans have so far shown themselves to be not that great. If your looking for next Jones, Chandler, Johnson, Brooks seems like you'll be waiting. And those 4 (even Williams too) actually brokethrough 1BL-2BL level when they were like 19-21. Only a few even seem relevant the rest, seem like they will play lower level footy for awhile and who knows when they'll play any decent level.......if ever.

17. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    I doubt we'll ever see a crop like that again due to the draw down in Euro based US military that occurred in the '90s. These dual national kids coming of age now are from a much smaller community.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction is that (aside from the Mexican-American communities) the next front of dual national players will be the offspring of foreigners coming to the USA to study, often on athletic scholarships. We’ve seen some of this already with Aron Johannsson, Antonee Robinson, Desevio Payne. I think it’ll continue.

The 90s saw more foreigners enroll in American universities than ever before. That’s going to have more opportunities for there to be dual national kids

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    even with less due to military it still seems like there are like 40+ German-Americans from 95-02 age groups and yet vast majority of these players seem irrelevant.

last legit German-American to breakthrough at high level is 94-Toljan (no interest in USA too).

After him you got 95-Green (already 25, mid-20s and extended for another 2 years), 98-Lankford (can't score to save his life and being outshined by younger players), 99-Tillman (good 1st game but not so great afterwards) in 2BL and that's it. Malone, Flach and Tillman seem to be the ones who have shot at higher level for now. While Hawkins and everyone else is basically 3rd Liga and under.

Maloney is one who seems headed for lower level with no higher level breakthrough. A Dortmund II move is not so great since he's never going to be seen as 1st team prospect. Only + if he goes there is that the club is scouted so if he plays does well could move up whether 2BL-3rd Liga.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that the number of German-Americans from earlier cohorts was larger than we realized, but we didn't have as many online resources to help US soccer fan sleuths find them.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see if the "born in the US to foreign student" crowd will be easier or harder to find. American-sounding last names made some players stand out, but, if clubs list birth places, it could be a touch easier. And recruiting them may be much harder since they don't have a US-born parent who might help in the influence.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    played his 1st official game for Dortmund II as a 15 min sub in 1-0 win vs Alemannia Aachen to kick off the new RL West season.

Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011