Lennard Maloney at 1.FC Heidenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 30, 2017.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casper repped this.
  2. GalaxyBowl

GalaxyBowl Member

LA Galaxy
    Aug 21, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is a starting DM and rotational CB on the best 2. Bundesliga club and most likely will continue to do so in the first division. He hasn’t been capped by the USSF since a u20 appearance in 2018. Is he not on the radar for the national team? He should’ve been on the Gold Cup provisional roster at the very least

ChicagoVT, adam tash and Winoman repped this.
  3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he wants to be on the USMNT, I remember reading

he should be on USMNT radar but then again how would they cram 16 of 23 MLSers on the GC roster????

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Seriously, who on the USMNT does this guy start over? I mean besides Aaron Long.

Richards, M. Robinson, CCV, McKenzie, Trusty, Old Man Ream, Young Man Neal, Zimmerman? Hell, Erik Palmer-Brown has 2 seasons in a Top 5 league and can't get a look.

Maybe - maybe - as a back-up d-mid but is he better than James Sands, who plays the same hybrid role? Is he better as a D-mid that Musah or McKennie dropping back? What about Johnny Cardoso?

I'm not one of those people who thinks 2Bundesliga players can't play for the USMNT anymore. Timothy Tillman being one of the top mids on arrival in MLS shows us there's still a high level in the B2. But Maloney is looking at a pretty crowded field at CB and even though D-mid gets think quickly after Tyler Adams, there's still some numbers Maloney would have to beat out. I'm of the opinion that A. Morris is gonna be pretty damn good and will be in Europe soon. And Obed Vargas might be even better.

So, again, where does a guy like Maloney play for the USMNT?

ChicagoVT and The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nowhere. At least not for long.

If he stays at Heidenheim and if he does well in BL1 next season, he'll get a few cups of coffee, but there's just too much depth in the USMNT pool now and there has been for some time.

I mean, Geoff "Mr. Consistency" Cameron only got 55 caps.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club says they are definitely keeping him around for the jump:

The regular line-up of coach Frank Schmidt's team, which includes pillars such as defender Patrick Mainka, midfielders Lennard Maloney and Jan-Niklas Beste, and top scorer Kleindienst in the second division, will "definitely" stay together, the 56-year-old explained just under a week before the start of training next Wednesday .

https://www-sport-de.translate.goog...tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will he be a 6 or CDM?

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah b we got jackson yueill and sands and acosta....no need for a bundesliga player here

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York

Starts a friendly. Official account makes it seem like it's at CB, but shrug emoji from me, dunno.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Confirms his USA preference to Kicker:

snip:

Like his former role model Jermaine Jones, the son of an American father and a German mother initially played for German teams, but then switched to the US U20s. "My dad is American, I'm bilingual and have both citizenships. I've played for both associations, if one asked again I wouldn't mind," explains Maloney, "but to be honest, my heart beats more for the USA, I can't explain it either, it's just a matter of the heart. It fills you with pride to play for this country." Possibly he is now one step closer to this goal with good performances in the Bundesliga.

https://www.kicker.de/maloney-dortmund-war-eine-grosse-ehre-959686/artikel

superdave, ChicagoVT, WrmBrnr and 6 others repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old is he now

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A good age. No longer a prospect, of course, but there should still be an upside. With DMs and CBs getting better with age, there's always the possibility of that upside being ever so slightly bigger.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Just wait to see if his Bundesliga would be better than Tillman and Green. But Tillman’s Bundesliga didn’t wake up anyone until he moved to MLS.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Irish Rover, sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Maloney started a friendly today against Pafos (Cyprus), a 1-0 loss. Match report I saw implied he was the only one to go 90 minutes, which seems like it might simply be wrong. One more friendly left before the season starts with a Pokal match.

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many in Germany are giving Heidenheim any sort of shot of staying up.

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deciding on a player before they've even had a chance...so typical

why must USMNT need to knw in advance where a player ranks in the pool for that player to be useful???

you play him and see.....

I'd prefer this player profile over basically any MLS option, fwiw.

(and dmid is likely the only place he has a shot - acosta and sands etc aint doing enough to shut out alternative options imo)

ChicagoVT repped this.
  19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly suspect people urging him to be called up haven’t seen him play. He works in limited systems.

He’s very slow and he’s a big, physical guy. I’m not sure how the team goes from being used to Tyler Adams or whoever and then goes to Maloney. It’s a very, very drastic departure.

I like Maloney. He’s one of the nicest guys imaginable - certainly one of the nicest I’ve spoken with. By all accounts, a great teammate.

Style-wise, he’s a bull in a china shop. That might work for some teams. Certainly not everywhere. Before he landed with BVB’s reserve team, he went on a bunch of trials and didn’t stick. Heidenheim made it work.

superdave, Zinkoff and adam tash repped this.
  20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair enough....I havent even seen him play. haha

and I'm not urging a callup....

BUT

I would prefer that more preference be given to similarly successful yanks abroad for callups than it seems ggg and his retinue are willing to allow for.

21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York

Lennard scores the fourth goal, off a corner kick, of an 8-0 wipeout of Oberliga (fifth tier) Rostocker.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal:

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mostly impressed today. Nothing flashy or special but he does his job well.

Winoman repped this.
  24. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting today vs Brooks and Hoffenheim. Yank on Yank!!

25. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heidenheim was up 2:0 when I turned it on at about the 75th minute mark. Now they are down 2:3 in the 94th. Sorry, Maloney, I should’ve not watched the end of this one. Maloney hasn’t been super noticeable other than putting up his hands a lot to question calls.