Legia - Barca (R)

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Jay Clark, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Jay Clark

Jay Clark New Member

May 21, 2001
    Wrigleyville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sure you've heard the news about Romy by now. They say he will be fit for Atletico this weekend. As for Wednesday's business, the full list of players Van Gaal is taking to Poland is: Cocu, Valdés, Geovanni, Gabri, Saviola, Xavi, Gerard, Luis Enrique, Puyol, Kluivert, Rochemback, Dani, Enke, Mendieta, Motta, De Boer, Christanval and Navarro.

I don't see many changes from the first leg-- Maybe LvG subs early so guys aren't tired this weekend, or tries a couple different faces to keep guys fresh (Gerard instead of Xavi or Enke instead of Valdes?) but other than that I don't see the strategy changing from the first leg.

Barça, Barça, Barrrrrrça!

:)

2. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    My only concern is the typical overconfidence of a team going to an away match up by 3. And Van Gaal, who still hasn't inspired confidence in me yet, hasn't done enough to warrent not being concerned about Legia. Hopefully, they realize they cant just sit back.

Paul

3. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw this news from yesterday...

FC Barcelona.com

Motta likely to miss Legia game

Tuesday 27 August 2002 17:35 (BCN)

Thiago Motta missed training in Warsaw this morning with tonsillitis and a fever, and seems likely to miss Wednesday’s Champions League qualifier. Speaking in Poland earlier today Louis van Gaal admitted the young midfielder’s absence was a blow, though with Gabri, Gerard, Rochemback, Mendieta and Navarro all available to slot in on the left side, the Barca boss at least has plenty of cover.

4. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More from FCB.com

Van Gaal's team look to make Monaco draw

Wednesday 28 August 2002 11:15 (BCN)

Barca go into tonight’s game against Legia Warsaw, knowing that their three goal advantage from the first leg should be sufficient to see them through to tomorrow’s Champions League draw in Monaco. All week, the players have been insisting on the need to maintain their discipline, control the pace of the game and make sure that the Poles don’t get an early goal. Barca will not just be looking to proceed to the Champions League proper, but also to give a good account of themselves ahead of Sunday’s Spanish League opener against Athletico Madrid.

Summer signing Juan Román Riquelme is the team’ s most notable absentee, after he picked up a thigh strain on Monday, whilst Patrick Andersson and Marc Overmars are still recovering from injury, Van Gaal decided to leave Michael Reiziger and Roberto Bonano out of the squad. With Thiago Motta out ill, the manager will have to choose between Gabri, Rochemback or Gerard to replace him, or push Navarro forward and give Christanval the defensive berth.

5. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STarting line-up

Barcelona
    26 Valdés
    3 de Boer
    5 Puyol
    6 Hernández
    7 Saviola
    8 Cocu
    9 Kluivert
    12 Christanval
    17 Mendieta
    21 Luis Enrique
    35 Navarro

6. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We go through 4-0 on aggregate thanks to a Mendieta PK in '69

All I had was the Uefa.com matchtracker, so I have no idea how this game played out. All that matters is no injuries and we go through.

7. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and on matchtracker, nothing happened during the first half?!?!

I guess all that matters is they are through and we can look forward to Friday's draw.

Tony