Legends stadium tour

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by 5280Gunner, Sep 23, 2010.

1. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    And should one get a bit peckish......

[​IMG]

That picture, just made me hungry!

I could murder, a Set 4 right now!!!

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks mate for bringing back that ancient memory!

"Charlie George, superstar. How many goals have you scored so far?" :D

And if you're lucky enough to have Charlie as your tour guide, you'll like it. He's really a very nice guy. A swelled ego perhaps but so what, it goes with the trade.

p.s. I agree about the museum... an hour maybe even more.

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True! :D

4. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Update required mate.

5. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a ticket for the home match against Southampton on Sept. 15!!! First time to London and the Emirates - super stoked! This thread has been especially helpful to me more than any other. Think I'll have to stop by the Eaglet Pub is that's where some fellow Gooners will be.

Any comments on whether it's better to try to do a Legends tour on a match day or is it better to do one any other day?

red & wite army repped this.
  6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They don't do any tours on match day. Try a day before or after.

maskito repped this.
  7. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the quick reply. I had just looked again and noticed no matchday tours, and was about to edit my post. Hoping I can get Charlie George on Sept. 16.

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I cant talk up Charlie George enough, he was very funny, very knowledgeable, he made my friend (who is very new to football) very welcomed and was happy to take photos, sign pictures, and answer my unusual questions (he had never heard of St Totteringhams Day).

9. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Good news! Charlie George will be doing all but one of the tours I can potentially go on during my trip. (The other is hosted by Perry Groves.) it does look like they need to modify their sample picture on the souvenir fake photo with a player though...

About how long is the tour itself?

10. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Allow two hours, and soak in, every moment.

Get there early, look around at where you are standing, and never forget this day.

(If, by any chance, you see a Stone, in Amory Square, that says Goonermaui..I'd love a Pic);)

As you walk through the Directors Entrance, and meet with with Charlie, or Perry,
    you will start to feel it.

When you walk through the tunnel, and out toward the pitch, you may even, start to weep.

As I always do, I must implore anyone that takes the tour, to add on, at least one hour,
    to visit The Museum. It is included in your tour, but is self guided.

So many wonderful things to see there.

I hope you have a wonderful time...

I'll be a bit torn.

My dear old Dad was a lifelong Saints fan, but didn't get to see them return to the
    top division, so I'll be thinking of him, and the banter that we had, many years ago,
    on the day of the match you will be at.

All the best.

nsps repped this.
  11. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You don't happen to have any sort of locator showing what area your stone is in, do you? :)

Thanks for the info — I'm getting really excited! I'll actually be going a week later, so I won't be there for the Saints match. I'll be in London Friday and Saturday, and then will probably take the Legends tour then spell before I take the train to Manchester Sunday morning for City away. Then I'll work my way back to London, hoping that the League Cup match is either at home or some place that isn't too far out of the way and/or unpleasant. Then for the final weekend I'll see Chelsea at home.

The biggest positive of this week over the other is that, while it would have been rather difficult to travel to an away UCL match (although if it happened to be PSG or Celtic those might be doable), it shouldn't be too tough to do so for the League Cup. (Of course, in a week's time I'll really know which week would have been better.)

Also, what's the story behind that "Famous Cafe" pictured earlier in the thread?

12. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a ticket for the Legends Tour with Charlie George on Sept. 16. Super excited. Since he played a season in Minneapolis in the NASL, I'm hoping we can have a few extra moments to chat about the city since he played here ~35 years ago.

The input and feedback from my fellow Gooners on this topic is greatly appreciated.

13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    He went out of his way once he found out im Australian to tell me about the time he played in a match against South Melbourne, and how that came about. Im sure he will be happy to chat :D

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me thinks he woz pullin yer leg mate.

15. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the LegendsTour with Charlie George a week ago, and my experience was every bit as has been mentioned above. Charlie was VERY approachable to everyone in our full group and made all feel welcome and respected - even a self-proclaimed Livepool fan on the tour who joked he wanted to kick Charlie in the shins was impressed by the level of class and respect from the legend.

I got all the pics with Charlie that I wanted, he signed a photo addressed to my son, and when he found out I live in Minnesota we had several conversations (initiated by Charlie) during the tour about what the area is like since he left

All told - worth every penny - and more. Add this day to attending my first live match the day before with the 6-1 drubbing of Southampton, and I'm still riding high on the euphoria.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I'll ever do another tour w/ Charlie so I'm glad to hear from others vicariously.

AND you are so so lucky to have witnessed that 6-1 match for your first match at the Grove... or any match for that matter. (My last match a few years back was a classic 1-nil-to-the-Arsenal snoozer)

17. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I took my tour a few days before maskito, on the Saturday before the City match. A pity about the Chelsea match, but eight goals in three games ain't bad. (And I was dead center in upper Clock End for Gervino's lovely goal.) Charlie was a real charmer, and even had a staff member refill my girlfriend's water bottle when she couldn't find a drinking fountain. "You have longer hair than I used to," he told me.