Left of the Dial: Rhino does it again

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimen y Castigo, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read a (swear to god) really good review on Pitchfork about Rhino's latest box set:

Left of the Dial: Dispatches From The '80s Underground

I didn't know they were doing this, and I doubt I'll run out and buy it since I own at least half of it.
    But it's a good looking set of all the things that made some of us more seasoned folk stick with the whole "listening to music" thing rather than, say, join a doomsday cult or try to become Patrick Bateman from 'American Psycho.'

Pitchfork Review

Left of the Dial page on Rhino's website

2. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
  3. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Speaking of 80's underground rock, Camper Van Beethoven had their gear stolen while on tour. At last update the Eye of Fatima has yet to track down the thieves.

4. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    OBLIVIOUS - Aztec Camera
    ENOLA GAY - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark

My two favorites from the track listing that I wasn't expecting to see.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I have enola gay on my ipod. Oh, the songs you sing waiting for the train....

As mentioned, I have a bunch of that stuff as well, though not half I don't think. Also, with "dollar a song" downloads and ipods, you wonder what the future of super compilations like this is. The CD has basically become a data transfer device, only usefull on it's own in your car (and those days may be coming to an end soon too) and a few other places. If you can get the 20 songs you want for $ 20, would you pay another $ 45 for ones you don't?