Left-back ??

Discussion in 'Comunidad Valenciana' started by ivica_olic, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ivica_olic

ivica_olic New Member

May 27, 2005
    croatia
    Aurelio is going to Liverpool obvious. and we do not have left back except Moretti.What do you think, who should we sign ?

My favourites- Grosso,Mathieu,Parisi and maybe A.Lopez.
    Pernia already sign for Atl.Madrid so he doesnt count!

2. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    No offense to Valencia fans, but what makes you always feel so compelled to look else where to find great players when your developing them through your system so well. The perfect replacement is José Enrique, who is on loan to Celta Vigo until he injured himself and was declared unfit to return for the rest of the season. José Enrique got very little time at the start of the season, but he managed to unseat Diego Placente, the starting left-back for Argentina, and was very impressive. I will write more about your system somewhere else, but when you have these solid youngsters in your system, you have to rely on them some time.

3. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately, I think Valencia fall prey to the same mentality that plagues so many big clubs in Spain and Italy. There is such pressure for the manager to win and win now that taking a chance on a young player is very risky. Its good for the long-term of the club, but many managers are more worried about the now - becuase their continued employment depends on the now - rather than a year or two down the road. Losing a close match or two due to inexperience doesn't seem like such a big price, but a match or two can be the difference in the title race, or the difference between 2nd and 3rd, or even the difference between 4th and 5th and the CL spot that entails...

Arsenal took a gamble this season with a number of young players. Players like Fabregas, Eboue, Diaby, Senderos... Its paid off in that these players have developed and look great for the future, but Arsenal also paid the price in that they've struggled domestically. Even as they could win the CL, they might miss out on it next season because of those players.

Valencia has some young talent. Players like Silva, Gavilan, Enrique, and Albiol. But giving these players a chance is risky because if they struggle, the side is likely to struggle. Albiol has become a regular this season but moreso based on absolute need than something planned. And yes he has excelled, but the side would have suffered if he struggled in defense while the likes of Marchena and Ayala were out.

4. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    Great post bigpapa, that hit the nail right on the head. It's a real shame that teams have to follow that philosophy, but that's the culture of football. The best players in the madrid and barcelona systems at one time, fabregas and eto'o are now in succeeding else where because there was no room for them to learn and experience first team football. The only thing wrong was that Valencia just doesn't have some talent, they have the deepest youth system in Spain. I'll take their youth squad and compete in La Liga anyday and finish consistently in the top half of the league.

5. Aurelio

Aurelio New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Too bad José Enrique is an arrogant bastard and Valencia were forced to sell him. To my knowledge he demanded first team football this year and said he'd leave if he wans't first choice. I thought he looked like a good player with plenty of potential who could have done really well for Valencia.

Too bad with that mentality there is no need for a player like him. So we shipped him off to Villarreal I think. I think that he could do well there but with Sorin and Arruabarrena it is not that likely he will get that many games. If he wanted first team football I don't know if it was the most intellegent move. But as Arruabarrena seems to be injured for the start of the season maybe he can get some games and make that position his own. But with Pires he might drop Sorin back to left back and play Pires or even Cani on the left wing.

And it looks like we'll be seeing Del Horno as Valencia's left back.

6. Craps

Craps New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Valencia
    i would love to see fabio grosso come to valencia

7. Bigpapa42

Bigpapa42 Member

Dec 15, 2004
    The Wastes of Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too bad he just joined Inter. Impressive player, though.