Leeds United v Hartlepool. 08/09/2007

Discussion in 'Leeds' started by Leedsunited, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    MISC NEWS:

There will be a minutes applause before the game, to celebrate the life of terminal cancer sufferer Jane Tomlinson, who despite having months to live, ran several marathons and Ironman triathlons, raising nearly £2m for charity. She died on 04/09 at St Gemmas Hospice in the city.

TEAM NEWS:

Dennis Wise will be without new signing Alan Martin who has been called up for Scotland Under 21 duty, and Rep of Ireland midfielder Jonathan Douglas who has also been called up. Felipe Da Costa is still awaiting international clearance, due to a contractual dispute with former club Ionikos.
    Alan Thompson is rated doubtful after picking up an injury. Leon Constantine, Shaun Derry, Tom Elliott are still out injured while Ian Westlake and Curtis Weston are also rated doubtful.

Johnny Howson is in contention to come into centre midfield, and new signing Paul Huntington is in the squad. Providing Wise cannot sign a loan player in time, Tomi Ameobi will provide cover for Jermaine Beckford and Tresor Kandol up front

LIKELY TEAM:

----------------------ANKERGREN-------------------

RICHARDSON--RUI MARQUES---HEATH------HUGHES

CAROLE------HOWSON------THOMPSON---PRUTTON

-----------BECKFORD-------KANDOL----------------

2. Andyobri

Andyobri New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Haslingden. Rossenda
    It's looking good but my midfield would shape up like

Howson----Prutton----Thompson----Carole

we need to width howon does not the strength for a central role.

Play up the mighty whites!!!!!

3. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    It ended up:

RM
    Prutton--Howson--Hughes---Carole.

Howson is an out and out centre mid.
    Did okay today, he works hard and chases a lot but looked nervous and missplaced a lot of passes.

Poor performance, Hartlepool must have hit the post twice, had one cleared off the line and dominated long stretches, but lacked the ability to finish and create. Kandol scored the opener from a Frazer Richardson cross with a near post header, but it was in front of the South Stand so I couldn't see it very well.
    Second was a beautiful lob by Jermaine Beckford after the keeper had strayed too far off his line.

TEAM

Ankergren 6

Kicking is appalling, couple of danger moments as well

Richardson 6

Good going forward, terrible defensively.

Heath 6

Not the same presence as last saturday, but solid enough.

Rui 7

Solid as usual. Not much to do apart from hoofing aimless crosses and long balls away.

Carole 7

Terrorised their immobile fullback, but doesn't take people on enough

Prutton 7

Very solid, and brings the ball out well down the wing. Crossing strayed too close to the keeper

Howson 6

Don't want to mark him too low. He puts a lot of effort in and actually makes challenges, but his nerves got the better of him today. Substituted

Hughes 6

Good performance but not the same presence as Thommo or Douglas. Better out wide. Captain for the day.

Beckford 8

Superb finish. Try and check it out if you get chance. Other wise a very good display.

Kandol 7

Superb at knocking down or heading on long balls, and took his header very well. They really are hunting as a pair.

SUBS:

Huntington - Only on for a couple of minutes, didn't touch the ball. Tactical
    Westlake 5 for Carole. Only on for about ten minutes but didn't make any impact.

NOT USED: Bayly, Ameobi, Parker.
    ATTENDANCE 26800

4. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
  5. Andyobri

Andyobri New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Haslingden. Rossenda
    i will check it out, on LUTV only £3.99 a month. match highlights.

how does the squad look, can it last?

6. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Today we were shaky for long periods, but some shocking misses, decent saves (but some stupid errors) by Caspar, and two or three goalline clearances and post hits saved us. We hit them on the counter playing long balls up to Becks and Kandol. Kandol is excellent in the air and his knock downs are superb. We maybe didn't deserve a 2-0 win, Hartlepool are a surprisingly good side.

Our squad looks good. Andy Hughes was a quality signing for free, and this squad should be good enough to get promoted. Jonny Howson and Tomi Ameobi look the pick of the youngsters. Jonnys long passing is superb, but there were a few nervy moments. All in all though 15 points out of 15, the FA need to look at the illegality of our punishment.

Clapham did okay today, but made a few mistakes, we still have Derry to come back, and Felipe Da Costa looks awesome (goal compilations on youtube).

Sang myself hoarse and voiceless in the Kop today, the atmosphere was terrific. Especially the huddle at the end. Now there are Leeds fans in every stand and the atmosphere is well and truly back.

There was a nice moment when Ian Moore came off for Hartlepool, he was applauded by both sets of fans, but he only applauded back to the Leeds fans in the Kop and West Stands. We started singing "He's Leeds, and he knows he is" and the old song from his Leeds days "Moore, Moore, Moore, How do you like it? How do you like it?" And he applauded again.

Two old songs formerly for Danny Mills and Dominic Matteo have been resurrected for Beckford and Kandol

"Tresor Kandol
    Scored a f*cking great goal
    In a scouse sh*t hole
    In a scouse sh*t hole"

to the tune of the Dom Matteo scored a f*cking great goal, in the San Siro
    and

Jermaine Beckford is f*cking brilliant
    to the original Danny Mills chant.

They look a lethal pair in this league.

7. Andyobri

Andyobri New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Haslingden. Rossenda
    There are always going to be chances at this level, Beckford is certainly class and finishes alot from what i have seen. I dont get to the games but am i huge fan. Why did Einarrson leave, we need the medical team to start getting players back on the field, our players are out for too long.
    I was shocked with the amount of signings wise had made, i was pleased with the signing of Prutts but is he a winger?

Huntington looked a real player at Newcastle and Da costa i Have checked out i just hope he is a team player.

8. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Einarsson was a real hit and miss player, and injuries recked any chance of a career with us. In centre mid we have Derry, Dougie, Thommo, Howson, Hughes and Rob Bayly so I doubt he would have got back. There is also the salary cap to think about. TBH I was surprised he stayed over the summer.

I liked Prutton out wide today, he gave the ball away too often and looked off the pace, but I think he is being considered a wide player. Huntington is a real coup, only came on in stoppage time, but he looked a real prospect and judging by his interview on LUTV he seems to have jumped at the chance to join us. Heath and Rui have got real competition. Da Costa has been trialling with us over the summer. He is still waiting on international clearance due to a contractual dispute with Ionikos, but I honestly think Wisey has signed the right people. He has turned down some cocky youngsters and brought in those he thought would enhance team spirit. Ashley Grimes from man city seems to spring to mind. He was about to sign but Wisey turned him down at the last minute.

9. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
  10. Andyobri

Andyobri New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Haslingden. Rossenda
    How will Da Costa fit in, we seem a steady ship, and are winning games late on, what will he bring, he is one of the few foreigners and may upset the apple cart. Wise has always had my support and he is getting better though last year i felt he was simply not experienced enough to manage our top players!

11. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I think you have to look at the bigger picture. Under Blackwell, the team was virtually running the show. The senior players would do training as it pleased them, keep players isolated or unused (look at Kilgallon in 2005 and Rui in 2006) to keep the useless Butler and Gregan together. It was a mess. The players were not under discipline and therefore didn't train hard enough. Look at the relative fitness levels compared to now. Basically Blackwell was just a very poor manager, and was dictated to by cliques within the squad.

Wise sought to instill some discipline and authority, and the likes of Butler, Gregan, Sullivan and co were first out of the door. He had to change the squad totally and still keep us up. He dealt with the indiscipline, sent absolute c**ts like Nicholls packing on his own terms, and stripped the captaincy away from two players.

Now Wise has said basically if you want to play for Leeds you have to work for it, and he made them sweat in pre-season for once. The squad now look, unlike previous seasons, much fitter than the opposition late in the game. Da Costa has been on trial at Thorp Arch for weeks before he was signed according to the programme notes, and with the type of player he has signed so far (Hughes for example) I am confident he has the right attitude. Good goals too if you look for him on Youtube.

12. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I think people might be over-valuing DaCosta. You can make anyone looks like Ronaldinho on YouTube. Plus, they only signed him to a 1 year deal. If this kid is supposed to be the real deal I would have thought that they would have locked him up for longer. I hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

13. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I do think he will be good in this division. At the end of the day, thank god Bates isn't doing the Ridsdale era norm and offering rubbish players five year deals. If he's not good enough or won't adapt he can go, and we won't owe him anything.