Leeds United v Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by gunner_21, Oct 31, 2003.

1. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a bit harsh isn't it? He was involved in thre of the goals; he sent Ljungberg clear to cross for Pires, he hit the post from which Henry scored his second and he took the free-kick which Pires knocked back for Gilberto's goal. Add to that he put Henry clear to thrash over the top when he should have scored a first-half hat-trick and I didn't think it was a bad day's work. I admit he's not athis absolute best, but it was a definite improvement over a terrible outing at The Valley last week. Why do you describe his strike onto the post as laughable? It was a composed, controlled shot when it would have been easier to thrash at it and send it into the crowd.

May I also remind people that when we have won our two championships under Wenger they have coincided with Bergkamp having good seasons. While he probably will never reach the peaks that he has in his earlier career, I thought he was coming back into a bit of form which we will need if we are to challenge for the championship or pull off the miracle we need to survive in the Champions League.

I agree about Edu Coach, he'd be in the central midfield instead of Gilberto for me. Better passing, beter tackling, better set-pieces, a left foot, I'd love to know what Wenger's thinking on this one is.

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Michaec..

DB10 is no more than a fringe player now.. that performance was extremely average and perhaps it is time that he gets a look in the last 15 min of a game instead of starting.. need some young blood upfront and Henry seems to be doing this by himself... again, TH14 is the only striker to score..

phishy~

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If it was me I'd be going with Aliadiere from the start of each game. I think he's ready to be put in for a run of games now and he's a better bet at this stage than either Kanu or Wiltord and Bergkamp is getting on. I was just pointing out that I thought some of the criticism of Bergkamp's performance yesterday was over the top.

4. CraigN

CraigN New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Scotland
    Yeh i was at the game yesterday, DB did OK! A few of his passes were just a bit off the mark, on another day they would of threaded people through on goal :D

JA does need to be given a chance, still think we should start with wiltord, sometimes he does drift in and out of games, at that point we could always bring on JA to liven things up a bit.

one thing i must say tho is PARLOUR FOR ENGLAND!!
    RP is playing so well at the moment you dont really notice Vieria is missing

5. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    You'll have a long wait. The incident wasn't shown on TV here. It's been conveniently brushed under the carpet.

Now - if ythat had been Sol or Vieira we would have seen it countless times from every conceivable angle.

6. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Why do people keep going on about Aliadiere? I don't have anything against him, but, he's got no track record to put so much faith in him. I watched him quite closely at Anfield. He started brightly and then had an indifferent game. He 's just not ready to step up full throttle!

And if anything was laughable , it was the header he missed!!!

Come on you Gunners!!!

7. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I think it's because everyone else has a recent track record of being disappointing.

8. CraigN

CraigN New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Scotland
    I think people are just excited about the fact that we might have a great young striker in the making with JA, granted that he hasnt done anything exceptional in the games he has played in, but like the previous point he has done no worse than anyone else :)

From what i have heard he has been exceptional in the reserves since coming back from long term injury.

Along with David Bentley who has just signed a new contract we have a couple of "potentially" great players there, and in my opionion they should be given as much exposure as possible at the right times, i would have brought him on at half time vs Leeds but i think AW does have DB in mind for the game vs Kiev.

9. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

laughable.... for being bad boys in the media, you still have a long way to go before you are up to how we are portrayed in the media.

Maybe they felt bad for us.... or maybe they just thought it was karma getting back at Cole for being a cheat. (he DID get 2 of our players sent off 2 years ago)

either way, i still haven't seen the incident.

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Not so much a striker comment, but I'd like to see Wiltord get a good run of 4 or 5 games playing outside for either Pires or Ljungberg, depending on whom AW feels needs the rest. I think a strong run of games might finally convince Wiltord that he should play outside and stop all this nonsense of him wanting to be upfront with Henry.