Leeds United v. Arsenal prematch thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Ian Lozada, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal visit Elland Road this weekend looking to maintain their top-of-the-table position.

Martin Keown has been lost to a hamstring injury (2-3 weeks) and Edu (groin) continues to be sidelined. Ray Parlour (hamstring) will face a fitness test.

Dominic Matteo (knee) has missed the last two matches, and Michael Bridges twisted a knee the day before last week's Blackburn loss. Alan Smith has a minor ankle knock that is not expected to sideline him.

2. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Don't forget, this one's on Fox Sports World and FSW Espanol, same day delay, at noon ET on Saturday, Sept. 28. The match will also be shown tape delay on Sportsnet in Canada at 12:30 p.m. that same day.

For those of you who don't have FSW :eek:, it's also set to be on regional Fox Sports channels on Tuesday, Oct. 1 at noon local time (not available on Comcast Sportsnet in Philadelphia).

Leeds are an inconsistent bunch, but I think this will be our toughest test yet.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully Cygan will continue the good form that he showed on Wednesday to make up for the loss ogf Keown. He should be more suited to the physical challenge of Viduka rather than the quick PSV forwards anyway. Apart from that, I expect to see the same team as started on Wednesday, assuming Dennis makes it back in time:

Seaman
    Lauren-Campbell-Cygan-Cole
    Wiltord-Vieira-Gilberto-Ljungberg
    Bergkamp-Henry

The team has goals in it from all over the park, one more tomorrow and we take the outright record for consecutive scoring games in English football.

4. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    I have this wierd feeling that Kanu gets in the starting XI ahead of Bergkamp. Just a feeling.

If you look at our line-up you have to be pretty impressed with the talent we can put out there and we dont have all our players back from injury.

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Man, his achilles has really been his Achilles heel. WHAAAAT! Did that make sense?

8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This is going to be a rough test. There is a lot of bad blood between the two sides, so I would expect a physical game. While I believe that Arsenal can easily overcome Leeds (even Sunderland won against them...), Leeds will be gunning to wind Viera and Cole up. If the lads can keep their heads and make Leeds pay where it counts (i.e. goals not fouls), then Arsenal nab another three points...

9. Random

Random New Member

May 20, 2002
    N4 again
    I hate playing Leeds. Too many bad results, bad games. Would be happy staying unbeaten against them.

Another win would be a bit good.

10. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Denver viewing

This game is being shown at Fado Irish pub (just south of Coors Field next to The Chophouse) at 10am saturday morning.

I can't believe this is the first time this season I will have been able to see Arsenal play. Oh well, such is the life of an American soccer fan (who doesn't have FSW).

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Denver viewing

I just might be seeing you there! I have to wake up around 8 to pick up my car from the shop. Since I'll be awake I think I might have to head on down.

12. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Final score....

Leeds 1, Arsenal 4

Without Freddie, DB10 or Pires we are crushing supposedly decent teams. Kanu (KANU!?!?!) with two goals. Add another for Thierry Henry (his 8th) and one for Kolo Toure.

13. Random

Random New Member

May 20, 2002
    N4 again
    Rapids/Arsenal - so what did you think?

14. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    To say I was pleased is a huge understatment. To see them dominate Leeds on the road like that was great. I'm not sure about those uniforms though.

I was really impressed with Toure too, seeing him for the first time. I had never even heard of him until the beginning of the season when he started getting playing time, and that header was fantastic. Maybe it was the Guinness flowing through my system at 10am, but they looked unbeatable.