LEE Young-pyo transfer rumour thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GuruSky, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Seo#6

Seo#6 Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pomona
    ouch.. hope this doesn't leave a bitter taste in the mouths of hiddink and psv supporters. :rolleyes: i would love to see the real KKK, Korean Killer Kombo, at manu. it would be an immense acheivement for korean soccer.

2. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    God, I am so going to hate watching English Premier league next year. I really hope Lee YP goes to Aston Villa, or even NewCastle. 1 player in Manure is okay but 2?

Manure should just give Rio more money, afterall, Rio's agent said that "Rio is the best defender in the world". :D :rolleyes:

3. mrelkane2u

mrelkane2u New Member

May 18, 2005
    NYC
    Well, Man Utd is definitely not pulling what they did with Beckham.

When becks hesitated to sign the long term contract fergie just sold him away rather than risking losing money after he goes free agent. Since then they've had lots of problems in midfield and up. Let's face it, pretty boy or not, becks was good in his position for Man Utd.

Same thing's happening with Rio Ferdinand. Now, there really are very few players who are better than Ferdinand in his position. If Man Utd decide to sell him and bring another player like Lee, they'll be making lots of profit, which they kinda need right now with the whole Glazer stuff. But they won't be winning games and I'm pretty sure Fergie knows that. They already went half a season without Rio and saw how terrible their defense was without him. Man Utd isn't going to change a thing in defense. Rio still has time left in his contract and they're just going to keep negotiating with Rio and keep him.

I'm sure Lee YP is drawing lots of interest from all over the world. but the truth is, as ManU & Chelsea (who already spent money on a new left fullback) aren't interested there prob won't be any other team that could match the pricetag that PSV slapped on Lee.

4. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    you mean Affelay (unless allfeyy is some nickname ive never heard of)? that kid is so awesome.

5. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    ditto on not having to worry about PSV...no Lee, no Park..no problem. this team is well managed and has a pipeline of good young talent coming in.

6. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    True, neither Man Utd nor Chelsea really need Lee, and Rio's just too good a CB to sell... And in current situation Lee will not get must playing time should he go to either of those clubs - but I haven't read about Chelsea expressing any interest in him yet. Btw, do you know the acceptable price PSV have declared for Lee?

7. Boom

Boom Member

Jan 16, 2003
    France
    According to FootMercato.net, Marseille and Monaco are (still) interested with Lee. It seems that Evra is about to leave Monaco and Marseille doesn't have have a good left defender.

8. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't think Lee should leave PSV. Everton might not even make it out of the group stage of the Champion's League. Plus, he is already established with PSV, the fans at PSV has some loyalty for him. If he goes to Everton or New Castle, the fans will be on him like crazy if he doesn't perform well.

With respect to Park, he also should have stayed in PSV. He is more of a striker than a midfielder. Man Utd has 3 world class strikers, C.Ranoldo, Ruud, Rooney. These guys are ball hogs, which is respectable because they are some of the world's best strikers. Unless Park adjusts his style of playing to a pure midfielder, he's not going to succeed at Man Utd. I could be wrong about this, this is all just speculations, but really, Man Utd does not need another striker.

9. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Nah, actually Park started off as a defensive mdifielder, and then Hiddink trained him into a versatile attacking midfielder. He did play as a semi-forward during the last CL semi-finals for PSV, but that's because PSV were rather short on forwards. Park's not rated for his scoring ability, and he was never used as a striker for the Korea NT and never will be :)

Btw, I don't think C Ronaldo is really a striker, yet ;)

10. mrelkane2u

mrelkane2u New Member

May 18, 2005
    NYC
    Another reason why Lee should not go to EPL this season: 2006 WC.

EPL players play more games than any other league in the world, and that's one thing Lee doesn't need right before the world cup. If he moves to another English mid-table club, they'll want him to start every game and be 100% all the time for them like he has been for PSV and that's bad news for KNT.

BTW I think EPL is fine for Park, as he probably won't be starting many of the games this season at Man Utd. Man Utd has lots of fixtures this season with CL Qualification, FA Cup, and the league games, so he'll still play a lot and have just enough experience in EPL to be a better player for the WC, without being too tired.

11. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    and you ARE wrong about it.

Park is a pure midfielder. he plays NOTHING like a striker so I don't know where you're getting that idea from.

12. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ronaldo isn't even a pure striker either. great offensive player but he's a mid-fielder.

13. Conejito

Conejito Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Groningen, Holland
    Wish i could share people's optimism about PSV. I read some italian club is even interested in Ooijer, damn, Ooijer, the guy is old.

Anyway, for Lee personally I hope he gets a good transfer, as he indicated more than once he wants to end up in a bigger competition and it'll be his last chance.

I myself would like to see PSV become a jumping board for koreans, it's a win-win situation I think, with the dutch competition having a reputation to help noneuropeans adapt culturally + improve their footballing skills and with korea providing an added talent pool that will help PSV compete in Europe despite losing financial ground.

14. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    hm, yeah aren't big Dutch clubs known for making profits from transfers of those little-known talents they've unearthed and trained at relatively cheap costs?

15. Conejito

Conejito Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Groningen, Holland
    yep, it's all about the money ;)

16. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    I don't think we should be so pessimistic about ooijer, because he is a very versatile player who can play in the midfield, and he has good speed and physical play. I think he is more trusty than Bouma. Though he does have lapses sometimes, like against Lyon, and to a lesser degree, the second goal in the Milan first leg where he didn't react quick enough to clear the deflected shot by Kaka. But his Champions League performance was otherwise very good, and he was pretty solid all season long.

But I think Lucius played that right back position even better than him in that second Milan leg, and he was more of an offensive threat too.

If there is a flaw with Ooijer, it seems to be that his play is either not physical enough as during the first half goal at Lyon, or too physical. He needs to find a balance, and keep from flirting with foul trouble and yellow cards.

17. Boom

Boom Member

Jan 16, 2003
    France
    Looks that Lee is going closer and closer to the French Riviera.. Sounds good for me.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=291734

18. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    But why would Lee go to Monaco? The only reason I can think of is money.

19. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    Lee would definately get playing time there because Monaco lost Evra, the French international, who was the former leftback. Lee can play both wingback positions, so he can easily take Evra's place. I think Lee is as good or better than Evra, though Evra might have a slight edge in terms of speed.

And of course, Monaco are one of the most established teams in France. I think it's a good move, because the quality of play is very high, and the team is strong, though they were weakened last year from key transfers.

But I think money is a very key factor in this decision. But maybe also because this is the highest probably of getting regular playing time.

20. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Interesting, I wonder if Lee will mark Ahn?

21. gatch

gatch Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Seoul and Melbourne
    Bad move to Monaco. Lee already has plenty of playing time in PSV. I think he played the most out of all the PSV members. Also the Dutch league is about the same level as the French league. He should stay at psv cause PSV are pretty much guarenteed CL next season. Dont know where monaco were placed in teh French league so I am not sure if they are in CL or Eufa Cup. IMHO Lee should stay at PSV unless he is offed a place in a better league.

22. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    2 Words: Tax Free

23. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    I agree with you from a pure footballing point of view, but money considerations cannot be dismissed, especially later in one's career. Judging from the perspective of a distance runner, I think Lee is the type of athlete that can be effective even after 35, but not many teams would think this way. I can say that he is really one of the most fit football players I've seen, and this along with work ethic matters more than chronological age.

This really is his last crack at the big money deal. And if we are honest, most of us at 28 would probably go where they can pay our market value salary, especially if we're grossly underpaid where we are. And this holds whether we're talking about football or any other career.

24. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a shiet move if it happens and thats all Im going to say in the matter.