Lee Young Pyo @ Al Hilal 2009-2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Elliad, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  2. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Re: Lee Young Pyo @ Al Hilal 2009-10 [R]

Wtf I thought he was doing well at Dortmund?

3. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Hasn't this been news for a while? Or has it just now been finalized?

Also noticed this...http://goal.com/en/news/1277/west-a...i-arabia-al-hilal-in-financial-trouble-report

IIRC Al Sayf was saying that the club was flush with cash recently. It seems like they already signed Lee so I guess this won't change anything. Hopefully things turn out well for Lee and the team.

4. CloudyDesert

CloudyDesert New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh

Al Hilal's financial problem is temporary. The problem, in a nutshell, is that the Saudi Football Federation signed a sponsership deal with a telecom company that Al-Hilal's sponser (as well as sponsers of other clubs) object to some of its terms. Should be resolved soon.

Regardarding the topic, I think Lee is a good player, and he's chosen a good team as well. Seol's advice must have played a big role here :)

5. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005

he started off well, then pulled at seol and fell out of favour for some reason or another.

6. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

The fans in the German threads seemed to be disappointed that Lee is leaving. They said BVB is placing high hopes on a younger kid that the fans believe isnt ready yet.

7. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Does your club sell official replica shirts with player names?

8. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Contract fee: 1M Euros
    Tithes due to God: 100K Euros
    Tax: 0
    Praying in the middle of Riyhad: Priceless

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's Oil Money.

Damn, I was hoping he'd come to K-League. A bit of a shocker going to Al Hilal...

9. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well it's just a one year contract, so maybe he'll come to the K-League in 2011.

10. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

See? Told you guys he was coming. :D

Anyway, I'm feeling good about this signing. The Saudi league is seriously lacking in good fullbacks (except for one club that won't sell to anyone), so this position will finally be a strength for us after being a weakness for the past 4 years.

I had a small issue with his age, but he probably wants to play in the next WC so his incentives are as good as anyone's. The only problem is if he can adapt to what will be to him a very strange and different country.

By the way, every time I've seen Lee, he played on the left side, yet people at the club say they brought him in to play on the right. Is he one of those players who can play on either side?

Ah, Seol. I like him, but I don't think he and Al-Hilal were suited to each other. He needed time to regain form and confidence, and Al-Hilal were in a critical period of the season and needed someone who could hit the ground running. I think Lee will be a much better signing than Seol.

Replica shirts, yes. Player names, I'm not sure. I can look into it if you're really interested.

11. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005

Yes. Lee YP can play both on the left and right. He's right footed so playing on the right would make him an orthodox fullback. He may be getting a little old and perhaps not as fleet footed as with his time at PSV but he is quick enough to turn any defense inside-out on his day. I wouldn't worry about his age so much...

12. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ^^^
    Ugh ... I just noticed I put "JoeKamel" in the first quote box by mistake. I was trying to quote "CloudyDesert."

13. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

My Youtube account gets full of comments in Arabic everytime (Seol and Lee) there's some kind of speculations... I'm guessing perhaps if there's another player Al Hilal wants sign, I would know beforehand when I get those Arab comments on one of my videos, lol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMjUGFd99G4"]YouTube - The Sniper - Seol Ki-Hyeon[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YkOHMh9uJ8&feature=email"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YkOHMh9uJ8[/ame]

14. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005

damn, how inconsistent these players have become. ugh.

15. chajangsauce

chajangsauce New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Sunny So.California
    Club:
    AC Milan

fail.... the MLS would be a much better alternative.

16. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Yeah I'm interested. Let me know what you can find out.

17. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I would have loved to see him in MLS. But no MLS team would be able to match or get close to what he will get in Al Hilal.

18. CloudyDesert

CloudyDesert New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh

What's up with you guys want to see him in MLS?

In Al Hilal he will get better salary than most MLS teams. Al Hilal has more fans than any MLS ever (not only in Saudi Arabia, but in many other countries as well). In Al Hilal he will have more fanfare than in any other club he played for (fact). Korean fans will be able to watch his performance more closely than in other leagues, as Al Hilal has a really huge fan base daily covering training sessions and matches and literally every activity.

On the technical side, Saudi Arabia is the only Asian country which always competes for 1st place with players from the local league. No other Asian country does this. Many NT players of Korea, Japan, Australia, Iran play in Europe, while in Saudi Arabia *ALL* NT players are from the local league. In the Asian Cup, SA is the most successful nation, 3 times champions, 3 times runners-up, all with local players. Saudi League has problems, may not look as professional as European leagues, but the talents are there and the level of competition is stunning and personal. So, don't worry about Lee, he's playing in a good league :)

19. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Yeah, but can he enjoy a cold beer after a hard match? :p

20. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    lee doesn't drink. he's a conservative korean christian. :p

now that i think about it, perhaps he's going on a mission trip to saudi arabia.
    :rolleyes:

21. Sayf

Sayf Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's a hard-core Christian, so why would he want one to begin with? :p

He can have non-alcoholic beer if he wants. :D

22. CloudyDesert

CloudyDesert New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Hey, did you see this :D :
    [​IMG]

Lee Chun soo's first training session with Al Nassr, whose standings are usually low. Al Nassr didn't achieve any major trophy in Saudi Arabia for 10 years. I guess Chun Soo was a bit hasty in signing to them. He's picked up an injury on the first training.

The two Lee's are going to go head-to-head in Saudi Arabia :)

23. leepui

leepui Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    that's what I think
    he's going to evangelize some Arabs~

24. chajangsauce

chajangsauce New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Sunny So.California
    Club:
    AC Milan

More fans in SA?? Im not saying the MLS is the best league, but it is widely known here in America. And for sure, a korean player coming here would increase the interest of MANY korean americans, especially here in the LA area. I am pretty sure there are more koreans in the US than in SA...
    Plus, the US would be a much better place for his kids (education wise). But it would also make sense if he is trying to convert the arabs lol

25. Laith

Laith Member

May 10, 2006
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    You make it sound like we're close to relegation...Nasr is one of the biggest clubs in KSA, and this coming season I think they will be doing better than Hilal, since Hilal has many financial problems.