News: Lee Nguyen at HAGL (Vietnam)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Mar 6, 2009.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting.....

So could he change to vietnam if he wanted to when he gets his passport? He only played for the US in the copa america, is that considered a cap tying experience??

Also he states he has offers from the J league and K league. Both VERY good, and better then the MLS, more comparable to mexico. If he did move to there and played a decent amount, he very well could get a call back to the USMNT IMO.

3. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if its true or not, but somebody said since the USA didn't send an A-squad and because Mexico sends like U-23 squads to Copa America, it didn't count as official. I could be talking out of my ass though. But he wasn't a Vietnamese citizen yet when he played for the USA

edit: the previous page debated it.

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bolded part may be what keeps him from suiting up for Vietnam.

5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I don't keep up on the rules but here's what the article says:

"Interestingly, that would also raise an entirely unexpected conundrum for Nguyen. Should he be granted that passport, he would have the option to switch his international eligibility according to FIFA rules, since he only has three senior caps for the US – and none since appearing in the 2007 Copa América."

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So are folks assuming the reason Nguyen is eligible for Vietnam is because the Copa America doesn't count as a FIFA-sanctioned tournament because it wasn't the confederation championship that the US normally participates in?

I wouldn't put it past FIFA to create a loophole like that, but it seems awfully shaky to assume that the Confederation Cup counted as a FIFA-sanctioned event for the teams we played but not for us.

Until I see something from a federation or FIFA saying Nguyen can switch to Vietnam, I'm gonna assume he can't.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa America (for the US) is not a cap tying event, it is treated as a friendly for the non-member nations. So I can say for sure that playing in that tournament wouldn't cap tie him.

As to if he has to have Vietnamese citizenship at the time of his first cap, I can't say. But there are wiser heads than mine around hear, I'm sure some will chime in.

8. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I don't see why if he had the option to be the star player for Vietnam, he would hold out hope to become an option in the player pool for the US. I get it's great to have goals and dreams, and the US setup is way better, but as the article states, it's been 3 years since he was even invited to camp. His game is good for places with low level of physicality, I just don't see how he could ever be a real option for the US. And I say that from the standpoint of what's best for Lee, not the US.

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had to have been eligible for Vietnam when he first suited up for US at the 2007 WYC.

Since he was not, he isn't eligible to switch according to this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/soccer/16goal.html

"Now, playing at the youth international level (under-17 and under-21) does not preclude a player from petitioning FIFA for a one-time change, providing that the player had dual citizenship when he initially participated."

Key point in bold

10. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible that he was eligible since both of his parents are (I believe) Vietnamese. I don't know how it works in Vietnam, but in a lot of countries having even one parent with citizenship automatically qualifies a child as a citizen. But if the child is born abroad and not properly registered at the time, there's often a lot of paperwork required to prove that the child is in fact qualified. The article talks about "getting his Vietnamese citizenship," but it wouldn't surprise me if it should talk about "getting his Vietnamese citizenship officially recognized."

If that's the case, Nguyen would have been a citizen at birth and therefore eligible for Vietnam well before 2007.

And it's also my understanding that the Copa America is considered a friendly for all non-CONMEBOL teams. People who excoriate Bradley for his roster choices in 2007 often fail to notice that, since the tournament didn't count as an official date for non-CONMEBOL teams, no clubs were required to release their US players.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess it all depends on what FIFA defines as eligible.

Because like you said he could have been eligible for citizenshi put not applied for it.

12. DMoney22

DMoney22 Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Any person born with at least one parent who is a Vietnamese citizen, whether the person was born in or outside Vietnam, is generally considered by Vietnamese law to be a Vietnamese citizen."
    Link

If this is correct, he should be able to switch.

13. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. FIFA allows nations to set their own standards. If a nation considers somebody a citizen, that person's a citizen.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If this is correct (and, presumably, that will be the basis for Lee's application to switch), FIFA would additionally have to rule on his Copa America participation with the US.

15. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I hope for Lee's sake he's allowed to switch.