News: Lee Nguyen at HAGL (Vietnam)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Mar 6, 2009.

1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there are 500 replies now.

2. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

is he trying to go to galaxy or chivas?

let the guess game begin...

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Or Portland the first one is a reply to a guy who is a Timbers fan and said it would be great to see him in a Timbers jersey.

4. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like he could slowly be realizing that just because he's a "star" in the vietnamese league doesn't mean you're gonna get looked at by your national team. maybe he's gonna suck up his inflated ego and come back to MLS at a low salary.

5. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

wtf?

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Or maybe he thinks with Portland being a new team he could make more money since they will have roster spots open.

7. mdent

mdent New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure about Vietnam, but with India you may not have dual citizenship. It is either Indian or another...

What is wrong with that? $120,000 a year to play in Vietnam where cost of living is much less than the US? Count me in....

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balling it up in Vietnam. :eek:

His career is over. Who's to say he's even MLS quality?

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well if he wants to go to them he will have to go through MLS first. And we remember the offer MLS gave him before....

10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    True I forgot about his international caps.

Anyone know the stats he has this season? I can't find anything. I think he may have 2 assists, a real far cry from what he was doing with HAGL.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well MLS did offer him a contract...

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I'd imagine the V-League isn't pumping out the prospects for the EPL or anything
    but I don't see how you can judge the quality compared to the MLS when we don't play them
    too often. Until MLS clubs quit getting embarrassed by the likes of Joe Public, PR Islanders
    and the 2nd and 3rd string teams of Mexican clubs then we should keep our mouths shut.
    If you're still not convinced I offer ye exhibit A: Jeff Gordon.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lee is a lot better player than people here give him credit for.

14. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lot better than Jeff Gordon, too:confused:

15. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure that anyone can say one way or the other. He plays in a pretty low-tier league, and either he's chosen that option or he can't get any teams in stronger leagues to invest in him.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    On the track no, on the pitch yes. :D

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm speaking from first hand experience. Unless he has gotten considerably worse in the last 5 years or so (I don't think he has), the guy has the goods to start in MLS and make a solid impact. Again, I haven't played with the guy for years, but he was very very good even at a high level.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL had he not been a local Texas product, I dont think you'd have as much faith in him. :p

But yea, the kid is good. But he def. has a rep playing in Vietnam like Freddy Adu has with most BS posters with his failed stints in Europe.

Lee is quality though, but he is highly techincal, and will only thrive in the MLS with the right team, and right supporting cast. He has the ability to be a ferriera, but for what I remember seeing in him, he doesnt play as 'rough' and is more finess(sp).

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    It has nothing to do with him being from Texas. I've had the pleasure to play with a lot of good players from all different states and Lee has been amongst the best of them.

20. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched him play at Indiana U. I'm pretty sure he can hack it in MLS.

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm just busting your balls. :p

The kid is good though, and I hope he gets out of the V-league to at least the K league or J league, if MLS isnt an option. He would be a great fit for the top 2 asian leagues, given the step up of play it is compared ot Vietnam. His techincal skills are good, but as time wastes... so does his chances to move on to something bigger (doors closing, teams losing faith in his skills cause of where he plays).

22. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched him for a year in Bloomington and no question, he had serious talent and was usually the best player on the field by far. I'm not debating that.

But he's not playing against top competition and hasn't since he left for Europe. When that's the case, odds are he's not becoming a stronger player. (Hell, the kid still can't manage to stay on a team for any length of time.)

So can he start in MLS? I'm not convinced. Can he deal with physical soccer he'd have to endure? Does he want to play for a modest contract? Does he want to take the risk when he can stay in Vietnam where is gets paid pretty well, is a minor celebrity, and where he can stand out on the field?

Until he shows up in MLS and shows he can do it (today - not 5 years ago), then all we can talk about is potential and what might have been.

23. CodyJarrett

CodyJarrett Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You mean the time at IU when he had no idea that there were 10 other players on the field? When he couldn't buy into a team concept? When he believed all the hype about himself? When he refused to play defense? When every fairly challenged 50-50 ball had him landing on his butt and shaking his head at the ref?

There is more to soccer than playing pretty and being technically skilled. He had both of those things in ample amounts, but there's a hell of a lot more to soccer than that. If he's grown up, and filled out, developed vision, and found some humility, then sure - he might be able to have a go at MLS. But if not, then he's safe and sound in Vietnam.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From what I saw, he still has issues with physicality, and staying up right. Even in the start of his time in Vietnam they said he was struggling a little with that. But soon after he got used to it.

But Asian football, much like south american football, is not very 'physical' as compared to MLS/EPL which has similar ties, like Asian Football and south american football. Its the father/son concept.

Lee did well so far in Vietnam cause its not very physical, but is more techincally oriented. He is the type of player that thrives in that enviroment. Thats why I get scared that he may not be cut out for MLS, like many latin american player rejects that can't handle the physicality of the game nor the reffing.

If he ever does come back to the MLS, like i said abouve, I hope its to a team that is about good passing, keeping the ball on the ground, and has decent players that can play a more passing oriented game, then boot and run. He'd do well then.

25. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It got him to PSV, didn't it?