Lee Jang-Soo takes the China Job?

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Korean Tiger, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Korean Tiger

Korean Tiger Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    http://news.naver.com/sports/new/vi...enu=news&office=mydaily&article_id=0000000554

According to this article, former Chunman coach Lee Jang-Soo is likely to become the new coach for Chinese national team. He is one of the leading candidates with ex-Liverpool coach, Gerard Houllier. Lee coached C-League clubs for six years in China. He knows Chinese football quiet well. 또한 중국축구가 얼마나 썩었는지도 잘 알겠지요...

If he gets this job, will China be able to break '공한증'? :D

2. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    If he does, I will personally have him crucified.

3. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Chinese Newspaper Reported he will be relax for 1 or 2 years

4. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

If Lee is appointed, it will definitely have a lot to do with the CFA trying to break the "Kong Han Zhen" complex. Why else would they choose Lee over a more acclaimed manager.

5. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    He probably knows about Chinese football and its problems as much as, if not better, anyone and he's prooven that he can fix it. Even if he'd be hired for sole purpose of breaking the fear, i think he can do much better than his "more acclaimed" predecessors have done. I'm all for it. If anything, having good and competitive regional rival only benefits us. Currently, China isn't.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    그냥 가버리시길..

7. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    But china is not a good, competitive rival. She can never be.

Lee wants the job(he said so). I hope Korean soccer is good enough to be beyond his reach.

8. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Belive me ,It's a Joke,although our NT is the biggest Joke of the world, CFA won't hire a asian coach(except Chinese).

yes LEE did well in C-league,but the two team he charged in were small weak teams,and he is not good at commanding those "STAR" players such as QU BO.

9. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    20 years ago,someone said CHINA COULD NEVER BE RIVAL OF S.KOREA AND JAPAN IN SPORTS, hehe :D

10. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Well... with a massive population like China, it's only a matter of time because football is a rather recently popular sport there.
    Believe me, they're going to be a tough opponent to beat maybe even as soon as 5 years down the road. I wouldn't take anything for granted.
    If Lee is picked, I think the primary mission will be to break the curse of not being able to beat South Korea. Now that they're missing out on the next World Cup, at least that will settle some nerves in China.

11. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Well……in China, media are kept reporting the inefficient"G7 revolution" ,to NT news,they only interest in U-20(to play a tournament in qatar next month)U-18(to visit iran soon),U-17(to play a tournament in russia nexy mouth)& WNT(to hold the four nation women tournament next month),no one cares about mens' NT current now :eek:

12. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    Really? China won more golds than either country in LA Olympics.
    Why would anyone say that?

None of these should make you proud though.

Quite seriously.... take a tribe of ,say, pigmies in Africa.
    If there are 1.3 billion of them and you support them with the financial resources of china, you don't think they would at least equal chinese in most fields of sports?

In terms of achievements per capita however China still is not a rival to Korea. Not quite even to japan.

A very large population. That is all you got really.

13. Wargamer

Wargamer Red Card

Apr 24, 2004
    I don't live in the fantasy world where Koreans are an athletic super race. So I basically agree with the above;china will surpass Korea in soccer given enough time.

However I am counting on the historical athletic ineptitude of the chinese to delay the inevitable. as much as up to 20 years.

Soccer did not become popular in china only recently. It has been very popular for the past 20 years. In fact, the total number of registered chinese players exceeds the entire young male population of Korea 18-30.

14. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    20 years seems like a long time but not when you consider that the ones who were born while it just became popular are now recieving their first ever international caps at this moment.
    Then again, how long has football been really popular in Korea? Considering that I'm the only guy in my family who actually genuinely likes football I can't imagine it's been long. The difference probably lies in better organization in Korean football.

15. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Will chinese star players accept lot of harsh diciplines from a coach who makes a lot less than themselves?
    if not, Lee's style(or Korean style) wont fit into C-NT.

umm actually 20+ yrs ago, Chinese president claimed they would in gold in men's soccer in olympic.

16. Korean Tiger

Korean Tiger Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    What does 'small weak team' mean? You mean, the two clubs Lee Jang-Soo coached were not weak at all? Well, I heard Chongqing Lifan was a bunch of crap before Lee took the office.

17. Korean Tiger

Korean Tiger Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    그린라이온, 중국 국대 자체가 코미디라는 걸 알고 있다니 그나마 다행이구만... ㅋㅋㅋ

18. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
  19. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    SHOULD BE "small & weak team",YES THEY are weak, till now they are still weak,especially Chongqing :eek: someone said Lee is going to coach Sichuan——another Crap team——but I think iT's not true, If he backs to China, He only intrest in the "Big" sides I think, like Beijing,Dalian,Shandong & Shenhua, Shenzhen has a great team but their Club is trashy.

20. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  21. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Population has nothing to do with football ability.

Take the Netherlands. Extremely small population, yet the Orange always produce class players. The Ajax academy alone has produced more star players than the whole of Asia. Nothing to do with race, or population, it's the culture.

Korea right now plays with a lot more confidence than in previous generations, which were crippled by lack of self-confidence against S American or European teams.

For example WC94 vs Spain and Germany, where we conceded stupid goals due to being intimidated. Later on we woke up and played to our capacity. If we'd played like that from the start we would've won.

Combine that new self-confidence with the typical high workrate and teamplay of Korean teams and we're starting to get good results. Once we get back the skills that the WC94 team displayed we'll be a complete team and the undisputed top-dog in asia.

China has a long way to go to match Korea. We keep moving further and further ahead of them.

Right now the key advantages we have are: confidence, workrate, and teamwork. Basically a huge mental edge.

The very fact that china has a "Kong-Han-Zen" (sp?) syndrome is indicative that they don't believe in themselves against Korea. Now Korea widened the gap with their performance in WC2002, and to top that china isn't going to WC2006.

Workrate and teamwork-wise I can't see china catching up. Their culture of single children "little emperors" isn't going to help. Additionally most footballers in china come from wealthy families. I can't imagine players who've been spoiled rotten by their rich parents mustering the sort of workrate needed to consistently challenge Korea.

Some clips I've seen of chinese play are pretty good. They don't lack in skills. But Korea is mentally far ahead and the only way that china can catch up is for us to let them.

22. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    "little emperors"? no no that is nothing to do with Football players, Chinese football players left home in their ealy age, and grow up in Football Schools along with their teamates

23. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    China is a collectivism country, there is no lack of teamwork,why everyone feel that our NT is not playing as a "team" ? it's because of their custom or their way in playing football,compare with korea players Chinese player draggleed in understanding football,and confidence is really a big problem.after all, It need time to bring up

24. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  25. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I think the general consensus of the Korean fans is to have Lee to take over either the Olympic Squad or Under 19's in the coming years.