Lee Chung-yong @ Bolton Wanderers 2009-2010 [R] IV

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by yimmy, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChaBoomer

ChaBoomer Member

Oct 27, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. footballz

footballz New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Half time: 1:0 to chelski.
    Lee having a quiet game.
    Bolton team are quiet bad. Lee not getting any service.

3. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Well, Chelsea go 4 pts clear of United. Bolton still in 15th, 5 pts clear of the drop zone.
    LCY subbed out at '82 for Klasnic.
    Chelsea 1-0 Bolton.

4. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Lee was quiet for the most part, probably both down to form and lack of service, but his crosses caused a bit of trouble and had some good moves in the first half and then there was the cross that was clearly handled by Terry in the penalty area but wasn't given as a penalty. Looks to have improved on his defensive abilities and intelligence since the start of the season which is a good sign but is seriously in need of rest and looked extremely jaded towards the 70 minute mark.

Received a '7' from SkySports and 'caused problems' comment:

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3258328,00.html

Also a '7' from Goal.com and was applauded for an 'industrious performance at both ends of the pitch. Denied by a timeless Terry challenge in the first-half':

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/04/13/1877428/player-ratings-chelsea-1-0-bolton-wanderers

5. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Anyone catch the roll-back and nutmeg against Lampard and Mikel (I think)? If not, here it is again:

http://cshzang3.egloos.com/

Reminds me of Song Jin-Hyung's nifty move a year or two ago in the A-League.

I actually take back a little of what he said. On second viewing he doesn't look as gassed as previous weeks and I'm guessing he was taken out early (along with Wilshere) because of the important fixture vs. Stoke City this weekend.

6. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was about to say this was the sharpest I've seen him in a while. He seemed more willing to take on players than in previous weeks, pulling some tricks out of his bag.

Can't emphasize enough how much he's improved his defending. He still has some work to do in the 1-on-1 marking area, but his positional play has been great. Don't recall many situations where he leaves his right back in a 2-on-1 situation and his willingness to track back and help is PJS-esque.

I can definitely see him as PJS-style effort player, but one who has plenty of flair/skill on the ball to match the work-rate off the ball.

In comparison, I think KSY has to improve his defensive skills esp. due to his central position. I don't think a central midfielder (even an attacking mid) can get away with being sub-par defensively in the higher European leagues. Maybe I'm being too harsh but KSY is a bit on the soft side...

7. fragments

fragments New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    NV
    Terry went out of his way to block that shot. :mad: Cech would likely have stopped it regardless but a handball is a handball.

I love seeing Lee's little tricks here and there but it often fools his teammates as well. :D

8. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Two words: Paul Scholes

But KSY could definitely use better defence, he doesn't have the likes of Keane to cover for him like Scholes did.

9. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's the thing... you can't classify Scholes as soft.

He tries pretty darn hard to make an impact defensively - he just doesn't know how to tackle :D

10. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Well, you said 'sub-par defensively' .. I think Scholes might just qualify as being not very effective at this thing called defense :D

He can make an 'impact' I'll grant you that

11. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This is a load of bull shite, i mean Bolton should have at least ONE penalty if not TWO. Watching the assistance ref saying "It hit Terry's chest!" pissed me off. I bet anything that the assistance ref is having an affair with JT the twat!

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Welcome to playing the Big Three. At least this time the ref wasn't awarding bullshit penalties against us.

13. bekele

bekele Member

Aug 23, 2009
    France
    Club:
    Daejeon Citizen
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...010/ce/us/productive-world-cup?cc=5901&ver=us

Lee Chung-Yong, MF, South Korea

Still largely under the radar, this 21-year-old Korean playmaker isn't likely to be a secret much longer. A shifty and elusive midfielder who followed in the footsteps of countryman Park Ji-Sung when he moved to England, joining Bolton last year, his skill will be needed in a tough group for South Korea. At times this season, Lee's creative midfield play has pulled his struggling club team up by the bootstraps. If he can replicate those performances at the World Cup against Group B opponents Argentina, Greece and Nigeria, Bolton will soon be showered with offers from bigger clubs.

14. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Interesting how both Lee Chungyong and Taye Taiwo made the list. Neither look like a endurance specimen, both are getting over-used by their respective clubs, and both will likewise be very fatigued by two games into the World Cup. Will be a fun matchup.

15. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Arsenal please :)

16. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I would get really pissed off if he moves to Liverpool!!

17. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    has arsenal shown any interest in him? people keep saying hes a good fit in arsenal but how come arsenal isnt realizing that?

18. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I remember looking at Arsene Wenger's interview in Sky Sports .com not long ago where he said that his interests towards Asian players, expecially Koreans grew as players like Park Ji Sung and Lee Chung Yong were playing exceptionally. He also said that he is keeping his eyes on young Asian talents and that will be looking closely at the upcoming world cup matches.
    So if Lee has a good World Cup who knows what could happen.

19. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/georgina_turner/04/16/turner.pfa/

20. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the nutmeg that Lee did was pure class and a testament to Lee's passing skill/abilities...I had to watch it 3 times just to see if it brushed Mikel's feet from that distance.

21. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Am I the only one who would be happy with LCY going to Liverpool rather than staying at Bolton?

Rafa is willing to replace half of his First eleven and if LCY can play with Gerrad and Torres, I'm sure he'll triple his experience just by training with these stars everyday. Furthermore, he'll be sure to get playing time with Riera leaving for Russia or Spain.

Creativity is one aspect Liverpool desperately needs. I'm sure Lee can supply and put less pressure on Gerrard and Torres.

However Lee at Arsenal DOES seem like a better idea. Definitely more stable.

22. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Every year he does this musical chairs routine. Besides, who says he'll play? Loads of guys go there that don't play.

23. DaCnDKrN

DaCnDKrN New Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    cant find the meg... can i get sum help?

24. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Kuyt, Benayoun, Jovanovic, Maxi, Babel

25. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC