Lee Chung-yong @ Bolton Wanderers 2009-2010 [R] III

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by yimmy, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That Lee assist actually brought me to a tear.

I think he mightve nutmegged that assist pass.

Incredible goal.

2. metalcafe123

metalcafe123 New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    That was fricken brilliant

3. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I just tuned in a couple minutes ago so I'm not sure how bad it actually was, but Lee has been hit hard and a lot this past season.

What a beautiful goal worked by Lee and put away by Knight. Lee has now surpassed PJS's single-season offensive output.

And the pace should be frenetic insane. This is a relegation battle in every sense of the word.

Yeah it looked like it went straight through the defender's legs! Commentators said something about that as well but I wasn't sure if it was to get past the first defender or what.

4. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Stream from atdhe.net just died. Anyone have an active one???

nvm got another one working now. No more English commentary though. :(

5. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    can u pass along? op..got it. working again

6. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And now it's down again. At the most nerve-racking times too. :(

LOL the stream always comes back and then dies during corner kicks/free kicks into the area. Gotta love it.

7. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    veetle has a nice stream

8. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Class move by Coyle

curtain call subout 92 min

9. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    impressed with Klasnic as well...made instant impact.

10. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    True... that said, don't need to do much to look better than Elmander ;)

11. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    To be fair, I think is more of a time wasting move than to give props to Lee

12. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
  13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who looked incredibly jaded? And good work on the replay stat. I'm still having trouble figuring out how exactly Lee got past that first defender on the line lol.

14. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you mustve missed the standing ovation he was getting as he was coming off.

he was the best Bolton player by a long stretch and was responsible for that goal. couldve pulled anyone but pulling Lee seemed rather obvious.

15. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think thats Stat's way of saying he was a little cocky out there today.

16. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    LCY. Looks very fatigued, his acceleration and pace is half of what it usually is. But it goes to show you that even despite this, he can create that moment of magic. Was MotM by SkySports and received an '8' and "Lively down the flank":

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19762,11065_3151131,00.html

17. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Post-match reaction from Coyle:

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010...priceless-zat-knight-goal-wins-battle-of-the/

Coyle admitted he was surprised by the identity of his match winner, but no less pleased for it having come from a defender who had five goals in 221 league appearances before kick-off.

"Zat was maybe the last one you would have selected to score the goal," said Coyle. "But it was a good finish and great play from Chung-Yong Lee.

"We knew this was going to be the proverbial six-pointer so it was terrific to win but I thought the performance was of a high standard as well. We need the points, of course, but we need that level of performance, that level of belief in ourselves, the rest of the way.

"There were moments we rode our luck in the second half and I thought we should have had a penalty for handball. We needed the breathing space that second goal would have brought and there are always going to be nervous moments if you don't get it. But the biggest single thing was getting the win."

Coyle was particularly complimentary about the performance of South Korean Chung-Yong, not only today but in the season to date.

"He is such an exciting talent," added Coyle. "But I have been wary the last few weeks because he has played over a year without a break, having come here during the Korean season.

"The last few weeks he has still been showing the quality but that little bit of sharpness you need has been missing. So we rested him at Tottenham in the cup in midweek and I thought it was back today.

"He has so much in his locker, I believe he has the scope to be even better and be a real, real star - even at this World Cup."

18. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    this guy is seriously the only reason I watch soccer nowadays.... and PJY of course :)

19. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    to me just as amazing is that he nut-megged the second defender to get the ball to Zat Knight.

Thanks again to Stat for the vid.

20. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    who is 이용총? lol

Lee did alright. Had some great runs up the right flank, but few occasions he lost the ball to the opponent defenders. Normally he could have out paced them with a flick around the defenders, perhaps like StatQuo said his fatigue is accumulating on him. Honestly, a score of 8 is a bit high but he did contribute to Bolton's much needed win. For me MotM is the goal post.

21. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
  22. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    No problem.

23. Randomized

Randomized Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, he's going through "Park Joo-Young" syndrome right now where he's basically played two continuous seasons without break. His acceleration and pace are such huge weapons for him but he seems so exhausted, it's almost tangible. It's not helped that for the most part a lot of the stylistic features of the side haven't changed too much so he's often running up and down after hoofed balls or headed causes. The increased defensive responsibilities, which he's becoming increasingly good at (put in some good tackles today) means we don't see him on the ball as often as Bolton are always quick to restart via Davies at the zenith of their attack, effectively bypassing LCY's role in buildup. He's also less likely to pull tricks out of his bag although he's always got one or two bits of guile a match -- understandable though, as those require quite a bit of energy as well.

Positives though are that Coyle recognizes the exhaustion factor and that Klasnic, Wilshere, and Holden are all set to feature more which simultaneously means more ball time on the deck and less in the air and some respite for Lee when he needs it; Klasnic especially has a good understanding of LCY's movement and has the technical ability to reciprocate his passes.

24. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mentioning Arsenal, I had the Arsenal-Stoke match on stream but with the sound turned off and minimized. Came back to it to see someone (Aaron Ramsey) being carted off into the back of an ambulance.

Apparently there was a challenge on Ramsey that resulted in a gruesome Eduardo-esque injury. They won't show the replay but I'm reading that the foot was essentially hanging off the leg...

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/89113-aaron-ramsey.html