Leagues Cup 2023

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Sep 21, 2021.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Leagues Cup is getting bigger in 2023.

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/new...ons-for-historic-leagues-cup-starting-in-2023

From other reports it will have a group stage and then knockouts. There will be 29 MLS teams by then. That added to the 18 teams Liga MX means 47 teams so possibly 12 groups of 4 (one with only 3 teams that year). MLS should be at 30 pretty quickly after that. Probably 3 group stage games for every team with 16 or 24 teams advancing.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Now that I think about it, it will probably be a system where all the "group" stage games are between Liga MX and MLS teams.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They have also announced a different format for the 2024 CCL.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/concacaf-announces-expanded-champions-league-starting-in-2024

Instead of a group stage in the fall of 2023 there is now a 27 team knockout tournament completely in the spring of 2024.

Round One
    • 4 x MLS clubs
    • 2 x Leagues Cup clubs (runner-up and third-place team)
    • 5 x Liga MX clubs
    • 2 x Canadian Premier League clubs
    • 1 x U.S. Open Cup winner
    • 1 x Canadian Championship winner
    • 5 x Central America Cup clubs (runner-up, two losing semifinalists and two play-in winners)
    • 2 x Caribbean Cup (second-place and third-place finishers)
    Round of 16
    • 1 x MLS Cup winner
    • 1 x Leagues Cup winner
    • 1 x Liga MX winner
    • 1 x Central American Cup winner
    • 1 x Caribbean Cup winner

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 CeltTexan, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    A Summer Tournament involving MLS and Liga MX clubs in a serious home and away structure is ideal. Certainly for us in Houston that recall Super Liga and those incredible battles versus Calero, Chaco Jimenez and Co. back at the Rob. Remember when it went to penalties and our original Black Panther tried to chip Calero and he caught it with ease. They go on to play L.A. Galaxy in the Final. That Pachuca team of that era won Copa Sud Americana and Liga MX championships plus of course CONCACAF. Glad to have a bigger tournament back moving forward.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can call it . . . “SuperLiga”?

*rey* repped this.
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It strikes me as SuperLiga writ large, yes. You would have approximately 50 teams if MX adds 2 and MLS adds 3. 48 if we expand (planned) and they don't. Depending whether 48 or 50 you'd have either 4 teams or some/all 5 team groups. 5 teams and/or the fact we'd be 60% of the field would mean some groups might be even (2 each, like superliga) and some would be 3 MLS teams of 4 or 5.

They've been talking up some sort of a linkup for years, it's kind of an under-radar European Super League type thing -- which they get away with by leaving the primary leagues intact and making this a tournament alongside CCL instead of a replacement. It's also a way of opening up international play to lousy non CCL teams, and freshening somewhat the schedules.

I think the sheer FA/Open Cup abundance of teams makes it more globally interesting in a way it wouldn't be if it was an annual intramurals between, say, Seattle, Tigres, the usual suspects. I think "we" enjoyed Pachuca games. But I find the 20th Barca v Chelsea UCL type repeat matchup between usual suspects I don't root for, to be boring. The sheer bulk gets you varied draws where someone besides your own fans might care.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I find the inclusion of CPL teams in CCL interesting. Forge FC of Hamilton has gone fairly far in Concacaf League a couple years running, beat FAS and Tauro that we've had to play in CCL before. We're kind of reviving the 2000s era question of whether a minor league team from North America or PR is better than a lot of the average teams in a CCL field. Not so much the Chivas type teams that decide it, but the Esteli type teams that fill the groups out.

I mean, the other day, I watched a little Honduran league as I waited for dinner to cook, and I was like, this is "ok." Fast but technically sloppy, soft defense. We moan about ourselves, but that's a competitiveness thing within our own league. We looked better than that.

That should, if you are thinking about it, have transfer "shopping" implications.

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Before it sounds like I am fanboying their CCL allocations too much, it kind of looks like over time what happened is they went from a growing field with diverse international representation -- like every country had someone eg Belize's Hankook Verdes -- to shrinking the field down to a tiny knockout and making non-North American participation regionally-contested ie Caribbean and Cent America had tournaments to get in -- to blowing the field back up but handing most of it to North America this time, and leaving the rest playing tournaments for crumb slots. I mean, it had been 4 US 4 Mexican 1 Canadian, but now they also get a bunch of tournament teams in plus CPL. As many teams from Canada as the whole Caribbean. Roughly as many MLS as Central America.

Personally I think "Champions" is a misnomer if national champions don't even get a qualifier slot that they try and lose before hitting the second tier. I think something is lost -- and upset opportunities missed -- if we don't see W Connection play the Revolution, so to speak.

9. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst....PK....ever........the look on Calero's face was of amazement and surprise at the gift he had been given.

On top of that the owner of Pachuca was sitting behind me cheering. It totally sucked.

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an old coach for many years and all the pro games I have been able to take in over the decades, I have witnessed some very bad PK's in my time, but for sure, Ngwenya's was by far the worst I have ever seen!

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he like chested it away in slo-motion

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Athletic has more information on this expanded tournament.

https://theathletic.com/2842905/202...ll-add-rocket-fuel-to-their-plans-for-growth/

Details from the article:

Tournament will start in late July or early August.
    Entire tournament in USA and Canada for the first year.
    Groups of 3 teams. Not sure on how that will work with 47 instead of 48 teams.
    32 teams advance to the knockouts.
    TV rights are still up in the air. Might be part of the new MLS TV deal or might be separate. Liga MX might bundle the Mexican rights or have their teams continue to control their individual tv rights.
    MLS will continue with 34 game regular season.
    Season will start earlier in February.

Some of this is speculation but Don Garber did confirm the 34 game season on Wednesday night.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #13 juvechelsea, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    my guess on 47 with 3 team groups is 15 groups of everybody plays each other once, top 2 advance each group, preference to first place, and 1 group of 2 teams plays "home and away" -- even if it's neutral site. both teams advance but the 2 games decide who wins and who finishes second in group, and ensure everyone has equal minutes on their legs.

if it's 2 game group rounds then they need to spend some time on the tiebreakers. easy to predict some 1 win 1 loss or 2 tie pileup groups.

it is an interesting coin-kee-dink that we suddenly get interested in playing hard as a tournament like this with mexican fan appeal arrives.

i don't buy a game a week and MLS keeps going. that would take 2 months of midweek games -- 2 weeks of group, then 5 rounds to knock out 32 teams. 7 weeks. that would also be in the heart of peak USOC season and where would that go. makes more sense to me you might have a month long schedule break which would potentially cover both.

and that's just working at the "empty summer" layer. odd years are usually gold cup years. ie 2023 would usually be a gold cup year. but i am curious how gold cup and nations league get sorted. kind of redundant. now in theory if the snobs had their way and gold cup moved up to june to mimic the euros. but then you'd have potential schedule carnage for months. regional NT tourney atop MLS. this new tournament, USOC, and MLS. busy busy busy. or maybe we further mimic euros and move gold cup to the even "middle" year ie 2024.

14. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I really wish I could imagine the train of thought that this cellar dweller team, with no GM and outside of a transfer window, got the juice to win a few games two years out from a tournament format no one knew until a few days ago.

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Are they making the 4 Liga MX and 4 MLS CCL qualifiers play in SuperLiga Part Deux? If not that’s 47 - 8 = 39 (13 groups of 3). Group toppers and the 3 best 2nd places advance to the round of 16.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The leagues have not announced the exact format but indications are that all teams, including the ones in the CCL, will take part in this tournament.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/historic-reimagined-leagues-cup-starting-in-2023

https://theathletic.com/2842905/202...ll-add-rocket-fuel-to-their-plans-for-growth/

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLS has announced the details for League Cup 2023:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/leagues-cup-2023-dates-and-structure-announced

The tournament will run from July 21 to August 19.
    No regular season games will be played by either league during that period.
    All games will be in the U.S. at MLS venues.

The 2022 MLS Cup champion and the LigaMX apertura or clausura winner with the most combined points over their season will get byes into the knockout stage.

The other 28 MLS and 17 LigaMX teams will be drawn into 15 groups of 3 teams each. MLS teams will be ranked by 2022 Supporter Shield standings. The top 15 teams aside from the MLS Cup winner will be seeded into each group along with the top LigaMx teams in the reverse order based on their combined leagues records. The remaining teams will be drawn into the groups. That means 13 groups will have 2 MLS/1 LigaMX teams while 2 groups will have 1 MLS/2 Liga MX.

The Dynamo will not be seeded so they will be in a group with a MLS team and a LigaMX team. Houston will play at the MLS opponent and host the LigaMX team. LigaMX v. LigaMX games might be held in Houston.

They are using the MLS Next Pro format for group stage standings. Games that are level after 90 minutes will earn each team 1 point and will go immediately to a penalty shoot-out. The shootout winner will get a bonus point. The top 2 from each group will advance to the Knockout Round.

The top 3 teams in the tournament qualify for the 2024 CONCACAF Champions League. The tournament winner goes straight to the round of 16 in the CCL.

*rey* repped this.
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    July 21st to August 19th. Sounds good.
    It would be wise imho to bump this Cup tournament up a week and start July 14th to August 12th. In this way this tournament can take a stranglehold over that long standing dead of Summer hole in the American sports calendar. The dog days of the long MLB season after returning from it's all Star game each second Tuesday in July. And the WNBA season really. What else, perhaps MLL nowadays but y'all get the picture. This tournament might take some form of interest among Liga MX fans at that time of year but sure could make headway with MLS fans and courts the soccer casual fan as the rivalry aspect and games all held in the U.S. can sell to new fans to the sport.
    I would call the trophy the North American Super Cup. League Cup can be for something domestic to MLS alone.