League One British Columbia (L1 BC)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1 Robert Borden, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Looks like this is finally happening!!!

• BC League 1 would be sanctioned by the CSA as Division 3 for British Columbia
    • Potential start date is 2020
    • Operating manual and branding strategy within the tweet link
    • The Canadian Premier League was a huge influence in relaunching the initiative
    • New and existing clubs are have until end of July to voice their interest and until end of September to firmly commit to the inaugural season
    • League One BC Champions are expected to participate in the Canadian Championship
    Quote from the Branding strategy document

Further, CSB by their full acquisition of League One Ontario, has publicly demonstrated the importance they place on the layers below CPL environments. The decision to purchase Ontario’s tier 3 league was inspired by the need to provide OPDL (Ontario’s BCSPL equivalent) with a connective pathway to the Canadian Premier League, in the country’s most populated province with the largest player pool. Based on discussions with, Canadian Soccer Business, we understand their strategy is to have similar arrangements across Canada, which bodes well for BC Soccer as we work to establish our BC League 1.

As the provincial governing body, we felt it important to recognize those entities that have worked hard to establish professional environments and initiate dialogue about the potential to participate in an alternative to the American run Premier Development League (PDL now USL 2).

While the United Soccer League has provided an excellent platform for several Canadian Franchises, those clubs are unable to compete in the expanded Canadian Championships, while also having the additional logistical and financial challenges of competing in a cross-border operation which adds travel time and uncertainty with a fluctuating US dollar.

Furthermore, BC Soccer is aware, based on discussion with Canada Soccer, that FIFA is trying to move its Confederations away from cross border competition which will inevitably may lead to a sanctioning issue.

Rumors only

Play is set to begin next April with 7-8 "franchises"; runs through AugustThe league has significantly scaled back its franchise requirements from the previous attempt to create this league a few years ago

Intention is for the champion to be given a berth in the Canadian Championship - still TBC by CSA but confirmation is expected

Similar agreement with USports (formerly CIS) as CPL which will allow college players to participate in this league before being returned to their college teams; NCAA (SFU) players not likely to be eligible

TSS Rovers and Victoria Highlanders have apparently verbally committed to joining the league assuming the CSA, as expected, approves a spot for the league in the Canadian Championship

• Note - TSS and Highlanders must inform USL D2 (formerly PDL) if they are returning to that league by November; if they do remain in USL they must sign a 3 year commitment
    BC Tier 3 WILL LAUNCH regardless of if TSS and Highlanders join or not; though obviously the preference is for them to be there
    Ideally BC Soccer would like to stream at least some of the league's matches live online in order to try and help grow the reach of the league

Rumored clubs

• Whitecaps U23 - (Out of University of British Columbia)
    • Vancouver 86ers (Swanguard Stadium, Burnaby in Merro Vancouver)
    • Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam & Port Moody in Metro Vancouver)
    • Surrey/Langley (Fraser Valley)
    • TSS Rovers* (Richmond, Metro Vancouver)
    • Victoria Highlanders* (Vancouver Island)
    • Nanaimo+ (Vancouver Island)
    • Kamloops+Kelowna/Penticton/Okanagan+ (Okanagan Valley)
    *Pending CSA approval of Canadian Championshp berth

+Unconfirmed ownership

Notes

There is already an understanding that this "86ers" incarnation would play out of Swanguard with TSS agreeing to move to Richmond.

Whitecaps are apparently keen to have a league for their development squad to play regular football in; presumably games would be based at UBC.

The Tri-Cities franchise has a ownership

Surrey/Langley also has confirmed ownership

Apparently "Okanagan" put a franchise in PCSL this year with the sole intention of being in this new league next year

There is also purportedly interest from Kamloops and Nanaimo, but whether or not either make it for year one is unclear.

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    This is very cool.

If all the Highlanders and TSS need is a Canadian Championship spot we should consider them in. I see no scenario where the CSA does not grant that spot given that L1O and the PLSQ have spots. (Blainville is currently in first place again and therefore on track for a third consecutive Canadian Championship appearance.)

I also like it because I think D3 teams make a lot more sense than trying to support CPL teams in most BC cities.

Polygong and Robert Borden repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And some of them might make the jump to D2 when it launch like Kelowna

Polygong repped this.
  4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like how the clubs are focused within Metro Vancouver, Vancouver Island for the most part.

Only significant travel is to/from Okanagan Valley and Kamloops.

You have to think that Pacific FC will want to put a team in that league eventually. You'd have Nanaimo, Victoria & Langford (Pacific FC U23) competing on the Island

Also the part about CPL buying D3 leagues is telling of how eager they are to launch it...
    1. Launch the league
    2. Collect fees
    3. Stabilize the league, make it viable and ripe for growth
    4. Sell to CPL
    5. Get the money
    That's why I feel that more provinces will do the same. Alberta is showing signs of being next

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A pan-Maritime league would be a good idea as well.

Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Newfoundland might be considerably tougher to pull off

6. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What signs are they showing? Can you point me to a link that shows that they are considering it? Because this is the first mention i’ve Seen or heard of anything linking them to any regional D3 league. I’m not doubting you just would like to read it for myself. Can you Imagine Foothills in the Canadian Championship. I wonder if they would have to face Cavalry? Might need new rules when it comes to that.

7. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why would new rules be needed? They are located in the same city but as far as I know they have no other affiliation.

8. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foothills is used by Cavalry’s development club hence the reason I said there might need some rules changed if they faced each other in the Canadian championship we want to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest

9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    These League 1 regional leagues makes sense now that there is the CPL for players to aspire to.

I'd think long and hard before putting a team in Kamloops or Kelowna with that level of travel required.

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's only a four hour drive from Vancouver to Kamloops or Kelowna.

L1O teams already travel much further than that.

11. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    About time.

If you are trying to reach a similar area as L1O, then anywhere within an 8 hour drive should be viable. that would also include the Island. Teams in Campbell River, Nanaimo, Victoria, Burnaby, Surrey, Abbotsford, Kamloops, Vernon, Kelowna, and Penticton would provide a 10-team league. I'm afraid Prince George and Cranbrook would be a little too far to travel.

I would make one Prairie-wide league, with two 8-team divisions - Rockies Division (Fort McMurray, St Albert, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Airdrie, and Lloydminister) and Central Division (Swift Current, Moose Jaw, The Battlefords, Prince Albert, Saskatoon, Regina, Yorkton, Brandon).

Out east, I think I might make the Maritimes a Division of the PLSQ.

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree though really in that you have an Alberta league and a combined Sask/Man league. I prefer that we stay away from "divisions" and stick to the standards used in this sport

I think a pan-Maritime league in itself makes sense (not including Newfoundland). Could have teams in Halifax, Moncton, St John, Fredericton, Charlottetown, Sydney and perhaps Mirimachi, Bathurst and Summerside.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Speculations started when both Cavalry and FC Edmonton starting U20 clubs in the Alberta Major Soccer League

Then CPL is commitment in providing a clear pathway from youth soccer to CPL and this mean filling these gaps which was acknowledge by both teams and they pointed out that it was a problem

Cavalry
    • D1 Cavalry
    • no D2
    • no D3
    • D4 Cavalry U20 --> (unofficially Foothills in USL II also Tier 4)
    FC Edmonton
    • FC Edmonton
    • no D2
    • no D3
    • D4 FC Edmonton U20

Tier 2
    CPL said they'd launched it after reaching 16 clubs post 2026 World Cup. As the league improves, gets better and the sport more popular, they understand the need for the second tier for talents not quite ready for CPL.

Despite only being post Spring season, you can really tell that not everyone belongs in CPL and some shouldn't be starters. Let's not forget that International spots aren't all filled nor all rosters completed yet. After a few transfer windows and filling those spots, guys will get pushed pack to the bench and eventually help fill that tier.

Tier 3
    CPL is committed to fulfill the CSA plan (2018-2014 document) of a complete revamp of the Tier III, which their document said they would heavily borough from the model of the Canadian Hockey League. They bought L1O and BC Soccer is confirming that intention. It's 2019 and CPL acquired League 1 Ontario promising pro/rel from Tier 1 to 3.

The choice of words is interesting as it suggest that BC Soccer is looking forward to sell the league to CPL.
    • Canadian Soccer Business, we understand their strategy is to have similar arrangements across Canada, which bodes well for BC Soccer as we work to establish our BC League 1.
    As seen in Ontario, the OSA got L10 off their books with the league operating the league under CSB's umbrella. There's an opportunity here for provincial bodies to start a league, collect all fees and turn around and sell it to CSB knowing they won't lose money by retaining ownership.

CSB's arrival changed the game. BC is now pushing quickly for the league to get done and Quebec started a review of their entire business in light of CSB arrival. Alberta is the logical next choice.

According to sources, Vancouver Whitecaps are pushing hard for the BC league to get done so they can finally put a reserve team in it. Montreal Impact are in the same predicament at the moment which suggest that the USL option is closed for both organizations. BC Soccer says as much when they choose to include this line in their book
    • Furthermore, BC Soccer is aware, based on discussion with Canada Soccer, that FIFA is trying to move its Confederations away from cross border competition which will inevitably may lead to a sanctioning issue.
    That's called a warning to existing BC clubs refusing to join.

You can be assure and that's also from people in the know, both Cavalry and FC Edmonton are pushing Alberta soccer which would push Calgary Foothills out of USL League Two. In their case, they must be praying for less travelling.

CPL is the driving force behind the CSA plan to close the gaps and fix the pathway. That's what the CHL did a long time ago and that's where we're heading.

14. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so if this is the case why didn't the CSB buy PLSQ when they bought L1O

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's been criticism (well deserved) about the league inability to put out content or communicate in French. This resulted in the league mostly being totally unknown in Quebec and journalists lukewarm at covering it.

Soccer Quebec has started the process at reviewing their entire operations in light of CPL launch and explore how they fit on the landscape of Canadian soccer.

The league is working at being bilingual but until it does and a Quebec team joins CPL, it won't happen.

Business-wise, getting PLSQ of their books and just managing of the league on behalf of CPLis makes the most sense. That's financial resources that can be redirected to youth soccer and developmental programs.

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The CPL will need to do things bilingually if we are to have teams in Quebec.

Of course, the PLSQ could also put up English content on their website seeing as a good percentage of their Montreal-based fan base speaks English as their first language.

Language aside, it would make sense to ultimately have all the D3 leagues under one umbrella.

Polygong repped this.
  17. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CSA sanction as Division 3 and eligibility to the Canadian Championship.

In the link I posted, they have all the details about the requirements about the league

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Good luck to all involved. I hope it gets off to a good start.

Robert Borden repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Victoria Highlanders will leave USL League 2 to join the Pacific Coast Soccer League in 2020. The goal is to join the new BC League 1 in 2021 which will be sanctioned by the CSA as Division 3.
    It is expected that TSS Rovers will do the same.

21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Cool to have a start date for L1BC.

I wonder why Victoria would bother switch to the PCSL for one year? It seems like a lot of effort just switch again the next year.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    to keep their players most likely and ensure they play

23. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes, but I meant why not just stay in the USL2 for one last season?

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cheaper to travel within Metro Vancouver than going to the US I'm thinking

25. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see all this happening. I have some family in Yaletown, Vancouver, and will be curious which team ends up closest to that area if L1BC starts up. Me, I've only been to Calgary, so I do hope there's a good push for L1A soon (somebody upthread seemed to indicate some such rumblings).