League 1 Ontario 2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Good to see a Hamilton team. Hopefully the league can continue to grow outside Toronto.

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were the Nitros, but this is different?

4. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    July 6, 2014 first year of League 1 Ontario game between TFC Academy and Woodbridge Strikers and a key photo in my report http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports14/14l1o044.htm

Halftime subs Mo Babouli, Mark-Anthony Kaye and Chris Mannella coming into the game with PA guy Anthony Totella (now a motivational speaker for the CPL). Page down to the bottom for photos. Mannella and Babouli are now linked to York 9 FC.

Note the captain of TFCA was defender Mateo Restrepo now being talked about as a possible signing for a CPL team.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Ottawa South United has jumped from L1O to the PLSQ.

This is basically neutral so far as D3 soccer in Canada goes but I'm disappointed. I would have preferred to see another couple of teams added in Ottawa (and maybe even one back in Kingston) to keep growing L1O outside the GTA. While understandable for Ottawa from a travel perspective, this basically ensures L1O will remain GTA and west.

6. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Initial B repped this.
  7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Robin,

You're level of service to Canadian soccer is unmatched. You've been at it forever with a level of passion that is unmatched.

I've followed you for a long time, thanks for your efforts. You deserve an award from the CSA.

Initial B and RocketRobin repped this.
  8. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Trust me, there is a big gap between Ottawa and Toronto with only Kingston as the City that could host a L1O team (and even that proved unsustainable there). As an OPDL parent, I would have preferred traveling 2 hours to games around Montreal than twice that time for games in Toronto.
    That said, when the Ottawa Fury Academy played in the PLSQ, it was boys vs men and they got pushed off the ball a lot. But L1O players are older, so this is a better fit geographic-wise.

9. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    June 6, 2020 League 1 Ontario cancels their 'summer' season.
    https://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/1108174 (statement from the league)

I wouldn't put too much thought into a 'fall' season. 2020 plans were to have the season end in August (one game playoff series save weeks of time) after last year having 15-0 aggregate playoff upsets as powerhouse teams had their entire rosters return to NCAA and Canadian colleges and universities.

The fall season would have to have high schoolers and working guys fill the rosters UNLESS the colleges and universities suspend their season (explained more in the chat with the women's and men's commissioner connected with that link)

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Found this on Wikipedia:

Barrie played an integral role in the War of 1812. During the war, the city became a supply depot for British forces and, in addition, the Nine Mile Portage was adopted by the British military as a key piece of their supply line which provided a strategic path for communication, personnel and vital supplies and equipment to and from Fort Willow and Georgian Bay/ Lake Huron .

May help explain the choice of team name. '1812 FC Barrie'

We'll see if that draws less criticism than York 9 FC "Oh I'm so confused!'
    I'm having that argument with some others on other message boards.

Three Bundesliga teams have their year of origin in their names. Indy Eleven named after an American Civil War unit (good in these times they were on the Union/North side). Invincible Eleven was one of George Weah's early teams back in Liberia.

12. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I like the name. More than than, I'm happy to see L1O expanding to new cities.

Robert Borden repped this.
  13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now we need PLSQ to expand more and BCL1 to launch. Quebec Dynamo folded in PLSQ, same for Gatineau but Ottawa switch to PLSQ as Montreal area teams are closer than Southern Ontario.

PLSQ will have no choice but to sell to CSB at some point

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't care too much if they sell or not so long as it is easy for players to move up to the CPL when they are ready. I suspect that will happen regardless of ownership because the PLSQ players will want it at least as much as the CPL does.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's actually important for players as the MediaPro contract is with CSB. Potentially, some PLSQ games could get broadcast which is huge for these players who would get more visibility. (L1O will get broadcasted).

As is, PLSQ doesn't get any coverage except for the Canadian Championship

16. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007