Leading on the Pitch

Discussion in 'Player' started by HouseHead78, Mar 14, 2011.

1. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's something we don't talk about a lot.

Our game last weekend was a chippy one. We played a team that did not appreciate our two goals in the first 5 minutes and really wanted to turn it into a fight. I don't speak Spanish, but some of my teammates who do said that they heard the team telling each other to go after me and my central midfield partner physically to try to get a retaliation out of us. Their strategy backfired, as their best player was sent off for a criminal challenge on my partner.

But after that, despite being a man up, we did get a bit rattled. They had the wind at their backs and kept playing long balls to a set of decent forwards that were very physical and kept winning them. We were lucky not to concede a few goals. When we did win those balls, our team kept rushing things and playing aimless long balls right back to them. It was really frustrating to play in a game like this as a midfielder, as you're basically watching the ball go over your head in both directions.

As a central midfielder and team leader, I tried to get my team to calm down and play on the ground, but everyone seemed really rattled by the nature of the match, with bad challenges flying everywhere and a weak ref. Even when I did get the ball at my feet with time and space, my whole team would be yelling, "PLAY IT, FIRST TIME, NOW!!!" even though I had plenty of time to find a good pass. Although I have the composure to ignore this stuff when I need to, most of my teammates don't. And this attitude got the whole team playing chaotic soccer. We got another goal and escaped with a 4-2 win, but we should have been much more comfortable.

So my question is this: how does a good team leader get his team to get out of their own heads, realize they're the better team, and get the ball down and play some football? What do good leaders on the pitch do differently than bad ones? And why do some teams respond to a player's actions and personality differently than another's?

Just wanted to get a discussion on "leading your team" going...what do you all think?

2. strikerbrian

strikerbrian Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Queensbury, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to think of myself as a leader on my teams as well. I know I don't always do the job justice but I think the key things are composure and confidence. I can play, but even on days when the skills have just up and taken a vacation I can lead my team through attitude and player management.

You can calm a situation just by being calm yourself. Play under control even with everyone screaming to do otherwise. If you can get one or two others to follow you the others will eventually calm themselves as well.

Another key is knowing your teammates. I know who is likely to blow their lid, who is likely to be too emotional to be effective, and who is likely to "check out" or throw in the towel early. Whichever player is going to do the most damage that is the one you need to get to first.

If you have a hot head who is likely to get others involved you need to calm them down and get them to remember how to play the right way, for example. If your teammates respect you as a leader you'll have a fighting chance to get on track.

3. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I think it's natural that people respond to leadership in a different way.

It seems like most of the Man Utd players respected Roy Keane but that didn't extend to his fellow national team players.

Think about the "leader" in your highschool sports team. Did everyone respect him in a similar manner?