Le Tour de France

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by kromekote, Jul 17, 2013.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Not sure if you guys are following this year's tour but it's been absolutely fantastic for our Colombian Nairo Quintana (Movistar). Considering we only have 2 Colombian riders this year (Serpa is the other rider) this year, it's been quiet promising for a new horde of Colombian youth riders. Rigoberto Uran finished 2nd in this year's Giro de Italia.:cool: Colombia also had it's OWN team at the Giro. This puts us back on the World class map.

The next two stages are a MUST see. These are two huge mountain stages that will define the Tour's winner. Scary as hell but where a guy like Quintana can get into a podium spot as this is his specialty.

He's not going to catch Froome (current leader) or Contador as they are very skilled and experienced in the mountain stages as well. But the other spots are doable. Quintana is also the current white jersey holder (given to the best youngest rider in the tour - usually under 25 yrs old).

If you guys recall the days of Lucho Herrera or Fabian Parra you'll know that Colombia has a strong history of cycling.

here is a great blog I follow written by a Colombian that will give you great perspective on Colombian cycling:
    http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

Overall individual time classification

Total distance covered: 2768 KM

RANK​
    RIDERRIDER NO.TEAMTIMESGAP

GBR
    FROOME Christopher
    1 SKY PROCYCLING 66h 07' 09''
    ESP
    CONTADOR Alberto
    91 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 66h 11' 43'' + 04' 34''
    CZE
    KREUZIGER Roman
    94 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 66h 12' 00'' + 04' 51''
    NED
    MOLLEMA Bauke
    164 BELKIN PRO CYCLING 66h 13' 32'' + 06' 23''
    COL
    QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander
    128 MOVISTAR TEAM 66h 14' 07'' + 06' 58''
    ESP
    RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin
    101 KATUSHA TEAM 66h 14' 30'' + 07' 21''
    NED
    TEN DAM Laurens
    167 BELKIN PRO CYCLING 66h 15' 32'' + 08' 23''
    DEN
    FUGLSANG Jakob
    63 ASTANA PRO TEAM 66h 16' 05'' + 08' 56''
    POL
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal
    153 OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 66h 18' 19'' + 11' 10''
    IRL
    MARTIN Daniel
    175 GARMIN - SHARP 66h 19' 59'' + 12' 50''

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great to know that there are other cycling fans here!!!

IMHO, with the Tour and the Cycling world finally accepting what most people knew (that there was a ton of cheating in their sport), all of the sudden the sport looks interesting again. It is a little bit like baseball dark era (Bonds, Canseco, McGwire, Sosa) which cast a shadow in the whole sport, because cheaters force other competitors to cheat equally if they want some kind of relevance.

All that said, I think that Uran and Quintana have great futures, but we have to remember that in between Patro, Condorito, Lucho and Parra and Ramirez, we had a few others that did very well at the international level, like Alvaro Mejia, Santiago Botero, Oliverio Rincon. While Botero was part of the Cheating Era, I dare to say that a lot of our guys would have done better in the last two decades if not for the overall doping of the sport that allowed guys to become too good in all terrains, defying the historical trends of the sport, where bio-types play an important part on the cyclist abilities.

3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Oh without a doubt this isnt to take from the guys that have done well in the past decade but watching the level and RESULTS of the past 2-3 years there is a new golden generation coming up.

"OG"

25ano430f53d4925ano430g.jpg

to the NEW Class of riders:

nairo.jpg

4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    What a great stage for Nairo! He jumps to a PODIUM place in the GC to 3rd place, only seconds from Contador :eek:. With 2 big mountain stages to go! Holy crap I'm so excited. VAMOS COLOMBIA!!

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Wooow.. I did not realize that there were so many mountain stages... The route of this year's tour has been very unusual and with a lot of climbs, that span until the next to last day of competition. I was expecting a flat time trial on Saturday and the usual coronation parade on Sunday, but oh boy, it's going to be fun to watch the last four stages (I'm watching today's stage at 8pm).

6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

You'll love today's stage. ;)

Also, part of the reason they made this tour so 'unusual' this time around with climbs and tons of turns is because it's the 100th anniversary. Last year's tour was very dull and won by Sky (Wiggins) 1-2 slots. Not much changed during that tour and there were no real challengers. Quintana, Contador and Rodriguez (all 3 great climbers), will make the finish of this race a ton of fun.

7. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    what a great stage! Quintana is a beast: AND ONLY 23:eek:
    CHAMPION OF THE MOUNTAINS - Pokadot jersey
    YOUNGEST RIDER WINNER - White Jersey
    1 stage win
    2nd Place Podium finish

...just amazing.

http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/ciclismo/nairo-quintana_12939904-4

Histórico: Nairo ganó la etapa 20 y es segundo en la general del Tour

Por: EFE |
    9:45 a.m. | 20 de Julio del 2013

[​IMG]
    Nairo Quintana celebra su triunfo en la etapa 20 del Tour de Francia.
    Foto: AFP
    Comparte este artículo
    [​IMG]
    Twitter
    [​IMG]
    Instapaper
    Además, el pedalista colombiano es el campeón de la montaña y el mejor joven de la ronda gala.
    El ciclista colombiano Nairo Quintana ganó este sábado en solitario la etapa 20 del Tour de Francia, con llegada en alto en Annecy-Semnoz, en los Alpes, y escaló a la segunda posición del podio, la víspera de que concluya la competición.
    El británico Chris Froome (Sky), tercero en la etapa por detrás del español Joaquim Rodríguez, que fue segundo, conserva la camiseta amarilla de líder de la clasificación general y es el virtual vencedor de la ronda gala. En la línea de meta, Quintana llegó solo, 16 segundos por delante de 'Purito' Rodríguez, quien escaló a la tercera posición del podio.
    En el Día de la Independencia de Colombia, el boyacense Quintana firmó la victoria 14 de etapa de un colombiano en el Tour de Francia, la primera desde el 2007, cuando Mauricio Soler se impuso en Briançon. La segunda plaza de la general de Quintana, que a sus 23 años participa por primera vez en esta carrera, es la mejor jamás ocupada por un colombiano en el Tour de Francia.
    El español Alberto Contador fue el gran perdedor del día, cediendo más de dos minutos y medio. El madrileño, que iba segundo en la general, cayó al cuarto puesto de la clasificación, a más de siete minutos del líder Froome.
    En la clasificación general, Froome lleva 5 minutos y 3 segundos de ventaja a Quintana, y 5 minutos y 47 segundos a Rodríguez. La última etapa, este domingo, será una formalidad de 133,5 kilómetros entre Versalles y París, con final en los Campos Elíseos, donde se espera que los embaladores se disputen el triunfo.
    Etapa 20
    1. Nairo Quintana 3 h 39 min 04 s
    2. Joaquim Rodríguez a 18 s
    3. Chris Froome a 29 s
    4. Alejandro Valverde a 1 min 42 s
    5. Richie Porte a 2 min 17 s
    24. José Serpa a 5 min 40 s
    Clasificación general
    1. Chris Froome 80 h 49 min 33 s
    2. Nairo Quintana a 5 min 03 s
    3. Joaquim Rodríguez a 5 min 47 s
    4. Alberto Contador a 7 min 10 s
    5. Roman Kreuziger a 8 min 10 s
    21. José Serpa a 45 min 51 s
    EFE

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Increible!!! Que tripleta la que hizo hoy Quintana, etapa, montaña y novato. Y en el cumpleaños de Colombia, que gran regalo!!!

9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    remember he was not the team captain at the beginning of the Tour. He was there to support Valdeverde. Wonder how things may have changed had they given him the lead role from the start.

Two 2nd place finishes in two Grand tours on the same year...just amazing.

2nd Place overall : Giro 2013 - Rigoberto Uran (Sky)
    2nd place overall : Tour de France 2013 - Nairo Quintana (Movistar)

I would love to see Nairo and team go for La Vuelta in August.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Han visto los uniformes de los equipos colombianos ? Alguien sabe quien es la mente criminal detras de esa afrenta nacional?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Le tour is on again!

Naironman y Uran son candidatos y los dos han soportado los primeros dias muy bien, siendo Rigo 7mo y Quintana 17mo. Creo que este año hay mucha montaña , con etapa reina el penultimo dia de competencia. NBC sports esta haciendo un cubrimiento muy bueno si tienen acceso al canal.

13. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Yes, this year's Tour has been made for the fan. Usually you have to wait until about stage 8-9 to start to get a peek on competition but they have made pretty much every stage count. This is as competitive a field as I have seen. Dissapointed with Winner a bit and Nairo has a lot of catching up to do. Froome is looking strong but Contador to me is the man to beat for this Tour. Very well rounded rider. Uran also has a chance but I kind of feel he doesn't believe it himself.... Either way the next series of stages will be great and from about 11 on it's highly specialized which is great for Nairo and Co.

dapip repped this.
  14. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Great stage today from Froome starting the Pyrenean climbs.. Beast mode for Froome. Unless there's an accident I think he's too far gone. He left Nairo in the dust after that 6km push. Nairo will clearly be the only one with any chance to catch up with Froome but SKY i looks like the old USPS team that took Lance Armstrong to so many of his wins. Uran is all but done and can may be happy to get a top 10 finish if he makes up some time at the end of it all. Lots of fun stages to watch coming up but I'm afraid this is 85% in the bag for Froome.

Tomorrow, Stage 11:

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 4.06.38 PM.png

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Our man Quintana looked strong today. Froome just hung on but Quintana took :30 seconds off. Tomorrow, it's THE stage of the tour. The (In)famous Alpe D'Huez.... watch it live on NBC Sports tomorrow morning. Quintana all or bust. Riding two HC climbs for a combined 40km+ is just insane ---with some patches at an 11% incline:eek:. Last time around in the 2013 Alpe De Huez finish Quintana picked up 1'16" on Froome. But now down 2'38" will mean Quintana will have to attack much earlier than previous campaigns especially if he can reach the first summit before Froome as both Quintana and Froomer are weak decenders.

Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 1.23.44 PM.png

16. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pero lo que dicen es que ahora es muy dificil o casi imposible de que Nairo le descuente tanto tiempo, que 30 sec fue muy poco.

No se, Im just repeating what I heard. Uds son los expertos

17. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

not impossible but surely 70/30. Problem is team SKY is very strong this year as is Froome. They have set the pace throughout the whole tour. MOVISTAR will try to break the group as much as possible. I Think Nairo has a shot. Today was the 1st time in the entire Tour he overtook Froome. He's tried in about 2-3 mountain stages (Pyrinees mostly) and Froome would reel him back in. This time he had no help from his teammates and the pace was very strong. Again, odds are Froome will win but I expect Nairo to make it interesting and winning the stage. Nairo will win white jersey (youngest rider) again and he will have the 2nd place podium but he wants more. Valdeverde (his teammate) needs to work smarter for Quintana.

18. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah I noticed he is winning the young rider award. So is common for somebody at his age to win the tour? And is Froome like the undisputed best rider? Like Amstrong? Or Amstrong is at another lvl?

19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nairo won the youngest rider award in his 1st TdF in 2013. He also won KoM poka dot jersey that year which is highly coveted. Usually riders are peak at about 27+ and have a stretch of about 5 or so more years. TdF, Vuelta a Espana, Giro D Italia (the big 3) are 3 week tours and considered the hardest races in the world. But it's not common for anyone under 30 to win a 3 week race. You need a lot of experience and a great $$ team. Most teams pick a captain. They all work for the captain who is a GC rider(general classification) meaning a rider that is good at all (sprint, flat, mountain).
    Froome is the best rider at the moment and has had an almost perfect tour. Looks very strong. He is the undisputed team captain at Sky. Movistar has Quintana as the captain BUT Movistar is a spanish team and their 2nd man, Valverde is a spaniard, and the one who was the captain back in 2013. So much so that even with a podium finish in his 1st tour, Movistar sent Quintana to the Giro d Italia (Quintana won the whole thing in his 1st try)for 2014 and had him skip the TdF and gave the focus to Valverde. But Valverde could only manage 4th.
    Indurain (Spaniard) was the last dominant rider in the TdF prior to Armstrong. We will never know Armstrong's true level because of the doping. I used to watch Armstrong DESTROY the field going up mountains the way you and I ride going downhill...he was amazing to watch. Watch this starting at 1:05....

amazing.....

dapip repped this.
  20. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Very impressive yeah I heard Valverde name before and I was surprised that Quintana is the captain of his team. Is he expected to be #1 in the future?
    What happened to Contador btw??

Btw I never understood why they leave the people so close to the riders??? I mean is dangerous plus I supposed in this case they would want to screw Froome so the french rider win. I cant picture something like this with futbol fans lol

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Yes, Valverde is in his mid 30s and a great rider but Movistar need another gem and Quintana is the perfect man to lead them for the next 10 years. No doubt he will be the 1st Colombian to win a TdF. We have won Vuelta de Espana (Lucho Herrera) and Giro D Italia (Nairo Quintana) but we've never had such a dominant rider with a dominate team. Back when Herrera was competing with the legend Bernard Hinault (FRA), Herrera was riding for Cafe De Colombia, who had 1/10th of the budget that BH and his team had.
    Contador is still technically in contention in the top 10 but he lost too much time mid way thru the tour. Nibali (ITA) last year's TdFwinner (Froome withdrew after a crash and Nairo was not enlisted), won today's stage and has a ton of heart and is currently sitting 4th. He has an outside chance and his team, Astana, is very good.

The thing with the people so close to riders is a bit of tradition. TdF did not start with so many riders and or media. First and foremost, those scenes are usually in very high mountain stages. The paths are narrow so you can't put too much patrol around the area. Secondly, the riders are going uphill so they can only go so fast. But crashes have happened because of it. But there's a crazy type of etiquette because these riders are going up 5-12% inclines for MILES so sometimes you want someone to give you a bit of hope! If I were a betting man, I would say just like bike helmets are now mandatory so will the fact that fans will not be able to be so close in the future. But most of the accidents are not fan oriented. They are terrain, weather, speed and exhaustion oriented.

elviejomen and dapip repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nice ride by Nairo today, but not enough to win either the stage or the Tour.

Regarding spectators, I remember that they used to be in the riders' face almost until the last kilometer in every mountain pass. I think that the organization has improved conditions putting more barriers and riders have more space now.

I really don't understand the appeal of running next to a racer for 50 yards or so, nor watching the race from so close. They riders usually go so fast that they are blurry and they are hard to identify. Furthermore it takes hours to get to a spot and hours to make your way back, given the amount of cars and narrow roads. A great sport to watch on TV if you ask me.

kromekote repped this.
  23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    It's in my bucket list to watch at least one tour live. I didn't like all the smoke the fans lit up on the way up. Not cool. They showed a fan spitting at Froome yesterday. Today Quintana attacked and gained over a minute but not quite enough. Next year this will be his rave to lose. We still can be pretty proud of Quintana today.

dapip repped this.
  24. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thats why I asked, since i was a child i seen people next to the riders, so I understood the tradition and since is not a Sport that I follow It never crossed my mind that those riders could be in danger.
    but that accident with Froome makes me bring those concerns

25. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    does Quintana has the opportunity of winning another young rider award?
    one more and he could match Andy Schelck(I have no clue who this guy is or was) with the most young rider award with four titles