Lay Off Ronaldo!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    FFS the amount of people slating him on this site, many being United fans, is shocking. Let us consider:

A) His dad died a few weeks ago this alone should have people lay off the kid, do people somehow think this doesn't affect him deeply even now?.....but noooo! Kick him whilst he's down?

B) He had a rape case, media exposure and a lot of BS to deal with in the last few weeks....

C) He is 20 years old. By default that means he is allowed to make mistakes and have poor games.

D) He was never fully intergrated into our team in the first place. Why is it that now 'all of a sudden' people wish to call him on this? Tied to point C you'd have to be retarded not to understand why when things are going wrong for him, morseo than any other player we have it sticks out like a sore thumb. He deserves stick for this?

E) Before he signed the new deal the same people slating him now were begging for him to sign.. how can you do a 180 within a few weeks?

F) He has shown in glimpses from his first season thru to Euro 2004 and WC qualifying for Portugal and even last year for us what a talent he is. He hasn't 'all of a sudden' become a bad player...let us consider points A B C and D again shall we :rolleyes:

G) Ronaldo is not the player to look for when the team is in dire straights. He is not 'the one' who will lead a team out of troubles and into the light.

Do you know...I feel I could do a whole alphabet here :mad: please use this thread as reference for idiots across big soccer who feel the need to slate a 20yr old who is having the worst calender year of his entire life! :mad: that is all.

2. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Agreed.

And the funny thing is, Ronaldo hasn't even been that poor in the games that I've seen. Below his standards - yes - but not awful. And it's very excusable right now.

3. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You should have name it Lay Off of Ronaldo!!

4. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lay off of Dark Savante :mad:

;)

5. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's strange 'cause my mother died the same day as Ronaldo's dad. And from personal experiance it hits you hard when an event comes round that you would be used to having them there for every year and then they're not. Ronaldo's first bad game was the Benfica game last week. He returned to Portugal. Every other time he went back home his father would have been there like EURO 2004 and during the off-season. He probably felt lost going back this time without his father there. He looked completely out of that game, and the next two. Give him a chance to come around, he'll be back to himself within a few weeks and this slight laps in form will be a distant memory once he beats Arsenal at Highbury again. ;)

6. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    agree with ya DS, although, i wouldnt necessarily agree with point (G), he's shown it in matches like his debut against bolton, his brace against the arse at highbury, and the FA Cup final (2k4 and 2k5), that he has the talent, ability and temprament to "bail" us out when we need it the most, he may not do it consistently yet, like rooney, but then again, who can? ;), i think that by the time both mature, we'll see THE two best footballers in the world simultaneously, on the same pitch, playing to their very best, and the muppets who are on ronnie's case will soon disappear....

that fact is one of the main factors why i still reckon united will soon be where they once were...

7. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One point that is raised about Ronaldo in general. (not talking bad about him here) He is not the kind of player that will raise our team up. He is no captain/leader. He is the kind of player you want on your team when your playing well he's going to make the play so much better with his player, if you know what I mean. This is still vital in a team, you need a few players that can and will look great when the team is good. You also need players (IE Keano) that will fight when the chips are down and help the team up.

8. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I agree completely, I can't believe how people are dissing the guy, a guy that used to and undoubtedly will bring so much joy and entertainment to us. He's going through bad form and tough times, get the fvck off his back.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Exactly. That and people keep trying to stick him in a box, expecting him to act like a traditional winger, which he clearly isn't. With someone young and creative like Ronaldo, you need to lay off and allow him to play his own game. As he matures he will settle down, but trying to change that or expecting him to have end product each time only adds more pressure on him and will stunt his development. Look at Rooney. He is practically given free reign to do what he wants and when he does make mistakes, which he regularly does, it is shrugged off. Double standards at play?

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Absolutely. Ronaldo is being labotomised and then shunted into a category...I agree and think it is going to stunt his development if he is constantly restricted and taken away from some of his instinctual aspects. I'm getting quite annoyed at the amount of stick aimed at a 20yr old playing in United's first team and I'd say the same for any 20yr old in our first team. It's out of order. People also calling for him to start every game. No 20yr old should be starting every game. We need to rest Rooney as well for that matter. Burnout is a massive problem when youngsters are used so frequently without a rest. Ronaldo needs to get his head straight before we worry about his development again on the field. He needs a few weeks off away from the cauldren of United and the media.

11. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    That's the thing that pisses me off the most. People expecting him to be a traditional winger when that's not what he does best.

The other thing I don't like is people constantly comparing him to Becks. They do not play the same game even though they often play the same position. Sure, it would be nice if Ronaldo crossed better, but that is not his primary contribution to the team.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread is a successful intervention on my attitude toward Ronaldo. I have to admit Ronaldo has been bugging me to death with missed opportunities and lack of discipline in his play, although I haven't been publicly dissing him. DS, I think you are right to point to some of these issues to keep things in perspective. Well done.

And, to Sean, I am sorry to hear about your mom.

13. bear1001

bear1001 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Birmingham, Alabama
    He was disappointing against Benefica. And his gesure to the crowd as he came off was evidence of his lack of maturity. But still I would rather have him on the field than Giggs.

14. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    strikercw - ronaldo is an integral part of our team, and was probably THE vital cog of our team pre-rooney, and to some extent, still is (look at the villa match at OT this season), cast your mind back to the start of last season, we had about 10 players out, and heinze and ronnie were on olympics duty, if you remember our play then, we were totally insipid (bolton, chelsea norwich), but when ronnie returned, we were instantly better (liverpool)

15. Crest_of_the_stars

Crest_of_the_stars New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Ronaldo is having a bad season and should be back in the team when he can get his form back. Until then, i'd rather play Park quite frankly.

I dont think anyone is saying Ronaldo is anything but a great talent, he's just very inconsistant, even more so this season than his first 2. Now obviously as has been mentioned there are good reasons he might be struggling at the moment.

No it was pretty much well deserved.

16. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm honestly sick of threads and sentiments like these.

Most critics of Ronaldo just want Ronaldo to play better and not in the mostly self-centric way that he does -- that is, he can freaking run wherever he want, do whatever he want, but he should pass instead of taking poor pot shots. Given his poor accuracy, it is not amusing to see him do it again and again. We want him to get up after challenges and not lay there and whine.

Most of us don't want to sell him. Most of us aren't undermining his ability. Most of us DO support Ronaldo, but think it's best to leave him on the bench until he makes a consistent contribution to Manchester United IN LINE with its team spirit. He might contribute by making rampaging runs, but it ain't gonna have no effect if he doesn't play for the team. Do you all think Roy Keane was kidding when he said Ronaldo needed to learn to play more for the team? Give him space to grow up, and grow increasingly selfish? Fcuk that.

I am disappointed with many people's irrational defence of Ronaldo, or even over the top sarcastic remarks like SELL HIM! SELL HIM TO XX FOR XX DOLLARS!! These people should be ashamed of themselves, not Ronaldo's critics. We point out his mistakes, we do recognize he is young, and precisely because he is young, he must learn to correct them now. Letting his behavior persist would only result in the pattern being increasingly hard to correct. Is there any other reason why he's on the bench now, and coming off the bench, his play is significantly more team-work-ish?

Now look, I think while he's been passing more coming off the bench (warm asses facilitate passing, methinks), I don't think he's found the "optimal" mode for his performance yet. Today, he didn't make his trademark runs and such, and passed to the back alot (arguably, he didn't get the ball in good positions as well). This is but a PHASE -- he WILL learn that he must pass, and he will learn how to utilize his old form of running and tricking TOGETHER with the passing. It will only aid in his growth.

That is all.

17. bear1001

bear1001 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Ronaldo creates significantly more opportunities than Park. He hasn't been in form lately but he is still technically and tactically better than Park.

And as far as his gesture being deserved... What did he expect? Hostile crowds shouldn't get into his head like they did and eventually they won't. But as a professional you cannot react that way. It is only going to get him or the club in trouble.

18. Crest_of_the_stars

Crest_of_the_stars New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    You must have been watching different games than me ;)

As far as I know Park has our second most assists, after Rooney.

19. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Technically, yes.

But tactically?... Ha..

20. bear1001

bear1001 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Yea, and he did have a pretty good ball to Rooney today but he had several opportunities today toward goal that he should have done a lot better, which ended up in the corner.

21. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's had three bad games, two of which he's only seen around 40 minutes combined, and suddenly he's the villain. Give him a chance to regain his form, and when he starts getting back to his usual self with his bag of tricks this slight dip in form will be forgotten about. Ronaldo will go on to have a great second half to the season in my opinion.

22. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    When you take into account how his bad games come in a quite terrible season for Manchester United, as well as how one of his worst games came in the Benfica match leading to our Euro exit, you will understand why we are so frustrated. And football, in general, has very fickle fans.

Look at all the slating of O'Shea until he scored that goal. :p This is life.

23. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Well, let's not turn this into another Ronaldo vs Park... I respect what both have to offer and though I understand they are in a direct competition, let's try to stay away from "___ is better than ____" arguements.

With that said, Ronaldo will regain his form, but I do think that he needs to see some decent starter's minutes to do so. I'd still reckon that he'll get a start in the more "crucial" games, too, such as vs Arsenal or vs Chelsea and the like. Fergie has shown this with the Champions League games and it'll probably continue for "bigger" games.

There is no way I'd want the team to sell him. Talents like him just don't come along often and think about how young he is. It'd be stupid to just sell him off.

24. bear1001

bear1001 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Where did selling him come from? Is anybody actually talking about that? That is a horrible idea. He's only 20 and one of our most promising players for the future.

I agree. I think he will start in these "bigger" games regardless of his recent form. It is only a matter of time until he returns to his normal brilliant form.

25. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Well, "selling him" thing is just what some of the Ronaldo fans (and NOT Man U fans, mind you) keep repeating in this forum... :rolleyes: