Lawsuit Against ESPN...

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Big Mukmuk, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Big Mukmuk

Big Mukmuk New Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Can we as MLS fans file a class action suit against ESPN for not giving equal coverage to MLS and soccer overall. I know (well, at least as far as I know) that they are not legally required to show any particular highlights, and they could show badminton if they wanted. the point would be more of a protest than anything real.

An angle that could be used is that ESPN is willfulling ignoring a segment of their regular broadcast during their sports highlight show as an attempt to weaken soccer's appeal to the public, or something like that.

I leave the development of this topic to those of you who are much smarter than me.

Jack

2. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    And people wonder why soccer fans are laughed at by some people in this country.

Sure you can sue -- if you'd like to waste your money paying legal fees instead of on soccer DVDs and replica jerseys from the BigSoccer Store*.

Myself, I'd rather spend the money on good high-quality cheese.

Oh, and grow up.

*gratuitous plug

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    That would be the rest of the world's population.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    buddy, please find something better to think of during your awake time

5. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    Congratulations!
    This is probably the dumbest post ever in bigsoccer history. Now go join the stupid lawsuit club, hot coffee at McDonalds being able to hurt you, fast food being too fatty, etc.

6. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    You can sue the Pope for child support if you like. That doesn't make it a good idea. And this idea IMO is horrible.

7. Johnny Wright

Johnny Wright New Member

Aug 19, 2001
    Dear Big Muk,

Dude, that lawsuit has victory written all over it.

Go for it.

Sincerley,
    The Chick Who Spilled McDonald's Coffee on Her Lap and Won Millions

8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spend your lawyer fees on season tickets for your local club or, buying replicas.

9. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I'll leave the ad hominems out.

The answer is no. Freedom of speech and all that, plus "the general public" would not have a basis to sue -- called "standing" in the law. If you had different facts (say, ESPN reneged on its pathetic contractual relationship with MLS, for instance) then there might be something there, but really MLS would be the aggrieved party. Sorry, but ESPN can grouse about and ignore soccer to their heart's content, just as members of the press on soccer boards can grouse about and ignore ESPN or other sports.

The woman who did win a hefty award from McDonald's (and had it subsequently reduced) was actually burned -- i.e., she suffered an injury. If ESPN gets on TV and talks about how Garber, for example, is obviously a homosexual and a communist because he's the Commissioner of a soccer league (a sport favored by homosexuals and communists), then Garber would have a slander claim. Until then, we have to take it. So take it and watch soccer Saturday on ESPN2 -- that's the best weapon we have.

10. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I'm still laughing at this.

My theory still holds the same: Putting games on SportsCenter is not going to increase attendance. Those who want to go already are, and those who don't won't start now.

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Oh my God! Run for the hills! We're doomed! We've maxed out our attendance! Stop the construction of that stadium out in Carson! Is there any more room in the graveyard of failed soccer leagues for MLS?

Just do me a favor - don't let Lamar and Uncle Phil know about your theory. ;)

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    What Johnny Wright said, except it was an 80 year old lady. ;)

13. Big Mukmuk

Big Mukmuk New Member

Oct 6, 1999
    IDIOTS...

What is the point of a such a lawsuits?, to get attention. I clearly stated that I know that they have no legal requirement or obligation to show highlights, but bad press can be good for the argument that ESPN does not respect our sport. It is shameful that after the great showing in the WC our league is so disrespected.

Alas, you all are smarter than me, so I guess all there is left to say is PHUCK OFF. And forgive me for thinking that I could get anyone here for seeing the ingeniousness of my idea rather than the obvious ways to criticize it.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Suing ESPN to show more soccer highlights. That's almost as daft as holding the Supporters Shield hostage to make a point with Major League Soccer.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedtime, mukmuk.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goodness.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go away for ten days and this is the first thing I see... good times, good times.

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Your theory is completely, absolutely, and demonstrably wrong. Publicity is very valuable. Millions of people aren't even aware the MLS exists. Yes, it is true! Moreover, the vast majority of the public hasn't given MLS much thought.

Even the network covering the Super Bowl will make a zillion plugs for it. Wouldn't you think that anyone who wants to watch the Super Bowl would do so anyway? You might think that, but obviously the people that stand to profit from the Super Bowl disagree.

The question isn't does the lack of media coverage hurt, but how much? The answer is a great deal.

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Re: IDIOTS...

yeah, ok. here's the attention you'll get:

"retarded soccer dorks try their luck at suing ESPN"

boy, that'll sure generate interest in the league. I'll bet that EVERYONE will want to be just like you, Mr. Soccer Fan.

There was absolutely no genius in your idea. None at all.

Everyone on these boards is now dumber for having read your idea.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: Re: Lawsuit Against ESPN...

For you or your dancing hamster?

23. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Suing ESPN won't harm them or do soccer any good. Just Boycott ESPN products, all of thier programs except soccer, let them know about it and get your friends to do the same. 200 people cancelling thier ESPN mag's subsciption won't put them out of business or anything but they'll know thier mouth (soccer bashings) costed them that which they could easily avoid and they'd be better off <b>with</b> 200 more subscriptions. Things could get no worse for soccer at ESPN than it is right now. We have nothing to lose.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: IDIOTS...

Haha, classic Billy Madison.

Honestly, I don't think that showing more MLS games on ESPN would help. It might attract a few fans but for the most part, I don't think it would. The people who already don't care about soccer will just be more turned off when they see soccer taking up time on ESPN. I think it's up to the MLS to market a good product.

25. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    The man has a right to say what ever,so leave him alone. I am going to sue NFL for having too many FAT players on the field, and I am also suing KFC for providing half time snacks for players.