Lawrie Sanchez's ethnicity?

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by fscat, Apr 11, 2006.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I actually have two questions:
    1) What is the ethnicity of Lawrie Sanchez? He has a interesting name, and was just curious.
    2) What kind of cross-island support do fans of Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland give each other teams?

Thanks for the time in answering these questions.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    1) He was born in Lambeth, London and grew up there. I'm not sure - I looked it up and I couldn't find much - but I think his mum's from Northern Ireland and his dad is Spanish. He did play three times for Northern Ireland.

2) Not a whole lot. The occaisonal Eire fan throws a bone NI's way in the name of Irish unity, but it's fairly chilly both ways. Half of Northern Ireland supports the Republic anyway, for reasons I will leave up to you to solve.

This is a bit of a problem overall.

3. northern ireland fan

Aug 10, 2001
    belfast
    Born in london, mother from belfast (northern ireland) and father from ecudor.

he played 3 times for Northern ireland when Billy bingham was manager

4. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Personally i support both teams. But if they were playing each other i'd be supporting NI.

5. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    jeez man i have no idea why!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

6. iamdazo

iamdazo New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    i would actually say a quarter support the republic if your lucky - the republic has a small but growing number of northern ireland fans mostly based in monaghan, donegal and dublin

Northern Ireland fans recently won a eufa award for their efforts for charity and combating sectarianism

7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    that "throwing a bone" remark sounds so condescending.......historically we're still the more successful irish side.
    a fair proportion support the republic, but it wouldn't be half. the more staunchly nationalist the area the more republic fans you'll find.
    to be honest it bugs me that someone can support a team that doesn't represent them, but hey, each to their own.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Eventually it will be one team. And that will be better for both fans.

9. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    bit of an assumption on both counts.

10. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    Anyone know why the rugby team is unified? And i know this is a football fourm but is there a political reason why Ulster players like David Humphreys don't sing the national anthem before games with the national team or could it just be personal prefrence?

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Better meaning we will perform better on the field. (As long as politics are no bother to the players.)

12. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    It was the ROI football team who broke away from the Ireland football team, the orginal Ireland team then became the NI football team.
    The ROI rugby people never decided to split away from the Ireland team after they separated from the UK so the orginal Ireland team has just continued from the time when it was all one country under the Queen/King of England.

N.Ireland players dont sing the ROI national anthem because its in gaelic, the song is assoicated with being an IRA song, and they dont live in ROI.

Hope this answers your questions.

13. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    So do they also play God Save the Queen also when the Irish Rugby team plays?

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    HAAAA

No.

Definitely not.

15. SweetNornIron

SweetNornIron New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    East Belfast
    I really don't think there will ever be a united Ireland football team.

An Ireland rugby match is due to be played at Ravenhill (in East Belfast) sometime soon and it was suggested that as the team would be playing in the UK, God Save the Queen should be played but that was quickly turned down.

I sort of supported the Republic in the WC in 2002 but mainly because i didn't have anyone else to support but i wouldn't say i'm a fan, i hate the fact that despite a gentlemens agreement for them to stop they still nick our players, Darron Gibson of Man U being the latest.

Lawrie Sanchez is a Legend:cool:

16. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    No because the rugby people of the north arent like that. We like living in the UK but we dont want to do anything like sing the british national anthem before a match if it may cause some sort of offense.

We could kick up a fuss about the irish national anthem being played before the Ireland matches but people wont because they are laid back and easy going.

We are very open minded unlike some.

17. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...and grew up in Reading. Played for the club while still at school, and later while at university.

18. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Technically:

Ireland's Call is the official anthem of the Ireland rugby team. They play Amhran na bhFiann when playing in Dubln in deference to the host city and the fact that the President is normally in attendance.

So technically, GSTQ would be played in Belfast. I understand Ireland will be playing in Ravenhill either later this year or early next.

It will be interesting to see how it is approached.

19. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Its already been agreed by all that Irelands Call will be the only anthem played.

20. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Ah, I didn't know that, thanks.

21. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Well, I don't think Eire supporters are doing it entirely out of the goodness of their heart.

Didn't know it was less than half. You hear the OWC crowd complain about it sometimes.

22. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    where is eire

23. SweetNornIron

SweetNornIron New Member

Jan 27, 2006
    East Belfast
    Eire is the Republic of Ireland.
    A lot of ROI fans i've come across from down south are dead on and wish us well for our games, when we beat England, a guy from N.I was saying he was in a pub in Dublin and when they heard we were holding England they switched our game on and apparently the biggest cheer of that night at Lansdowne Road was when our score was announced.

ROI fans from ROI are dead on, it's most of the ones from here who seem to support the Republic to try and prove some sort of point and let us all know where their political alleigences(sp?) lie.

24. Norn_Iron_Man

Norn_Iron_Man BigFootball Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Conlig, Co. Down
    To be honest, if you were a true republican, you wouldn't support football at all as it is deemed to be a foreign sport (i.e. an English sport) which is why there was such a fight over using croke park by the GAA for non "Irish" sport.

On a less serious note, the support for ROI or NI seems to swing back and forth as to who is doing better at the time. Just like the guys at the local pub who were a Man U shirt one week and a Chelsea shirt the next, they want to be associated with winners (Bandwagon Bast*rds).

25. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales