Lavolpe, PLEASE play Memo Ochoa!!!

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Austinite, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    IMO goals recieve reflects the keepers ability to a certain extent.

i agree, ochoa he has amazing reflexes. once he gets better at comming off his line he will be great, just give it a few years and it will be there. he's very young.

this is irrelevant, Juventus and chealsea were beating by Liverpool in this season's champions league, are you going to tell me that Dudek is a better goalkeeper than Buffon and Czech? No way.

what matters is how they perform with their team, not results against the other keeper's team.

2. Rey_Azteka

Rey_Azteka New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Long Beach C.A
    I Aggre... with everything he says..

i belive they should give the kid a shot... he won the 05 clausura... with MVP.. give him a chance

3. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

I never really liked munoz i think his a little shacky behind the net. if you see him play with morelia he doesn't look confident. Thats wut ochoa and corona bring confidence and skill.

4. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm guessing he saw it in Mexico or on ESPN Deportes here in the States.

5. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    But then again, America didn't necessarily have the best defence in the Mexican league.

Just exactly how many years are you thinking of? He's got the talent, give him some experince, it is very likely to pay off, look no further than Iker Casillas and Victor Valdes.

Dudek is a pretty good keeper, he's on Liverpool for a reason, but you're right, it is kind of irrelevant.

Ochoa is still better than Corona and Munoz though ;)

6. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    niether did tecos.... i mean come on, it's tecos.

one or two years. it wuoldnt be smart to start him now with the world cup so close, it's obvious that sanchez is the man. it wouldnt be very smart to start a 19 year old unproven (national team level) keeper in the world cup when you have a veteran that plays just as good if not better.

casillas played like 3 seasons before making his debut for spain, that's the same as 6 short seasons in mexico. he also played several champions league matches. Casillas also was a big part in the famous world youth cup winning spanish team... ochoa's youth team failed miserably

dudek is a very inconsistent keeper, i doubt he would have been starting if kirkland wasnt so injury prone. good keeper? yeah, but there's no way he is better than buffon or czech

haha, maybe. i prefer corona at the moment

7. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Tehy got to the final somehow didn't they?

I'm not necessarily saying that he should be starting at the WC but I mean come on at least the damn Gold Cup.

Ochoa I believe has been playing for 4 short seasons in Mexico, by the time the WC rolls around it'll be 6 short season, the same as Iker. The youth team doesn't necessarily matter. It's true that he could have gained excellent experience from the World Youth Championship but the guy is still excellent and deserves a shot with the NT.

Never said he was better than Buffon or Czech, but he's on the Polish NT and Liverpool for a reason.

I prefer Ochoa, he's taller and younger ;)

8. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    We can argue about this all day, and it will get us nowhere really. the simple fact is that it's not all black and white, they're two different teams with two different players. yes, tecos got to the final, as did america. that dosent make them the best two keepers. when brazil played france in the world cup i doubt anyone thought taffarel was the second best goalie in the world.

have to look at individual performances, what team they were on etc. it is my opinion (a fellow goalkeeper, if that matters) that ochoa cost the team several goals in the playoffs, two clear ones in the final and two against santos that ultimatley cost them the win in torreon. in contrast, tecos had probably the best defense during the playoffs, which is again in my opinion corona had a lot to do with. did corona give up 6 goals in the final? yeah, but as much as i hate to say it america had a damn good team this season.

if i'm not mistaken, iker had two years on the national team before he played a world cup. he wasnt just thrown in there without trial.

i think it's a little indication of what kind of leadership he provides. if you've seen iker's highlights from his days on the youth team you'd know what i mean, provided leadership and clutch saves. can't say ochoa did the same the past WYC qualifying.

9. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I guess you can argue that Ochoa doesn't have as much experince as other keepers, including Corona, but he still deserves a shot. I don't see Corona as a consistant keeper. He had a pretty good season with Tecos, fvcked up in the final, had an excellent Libertadores tournament, and recently fvcked up against South Africa. Ochoa on the other hand has been more consistant with America but his inconsistancy is due to his inexperience. Which if you give it to him, he should be fine.

Memo has been playing for America for 2 years. That's no small task considering they could have just bought another goalkeeper, but regardless of his age he has proven that he is an excellent keeper and in my mind and the minds of others, national team material.

Leadership doesn't necessarily make him a better keeper. You can't expect everyone to be a captain, Iker just happened to have leadership.

10. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Heres my thought tkae nothing away from Ochoa at this point so far (but) but at international level is a whole different ball game folks somethin Corona and Munoz has proven so far especially Corona did any of you catch the Chivas and Boca game in Buenos Aires, Argentina-libertadores theirs no way in how any of you are ging to tell me that a inexperienced 19 year old that has never played at international level could have done what Corona did in Bombonera I know it was just one differnent game but I have never seen that kind of goal keeping in my life pure soild goal keeping! Don't worrie Ochoas time will come like all the others have!

11. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You might want to read the arguements I posted when I was debating with Shackleford.

12. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América

Actually, hes not really inexperienced internationaly. He played with america in the libertadores when he was 18 or had just turned 19 and played very well.

13. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004
    are you saying you want him to gain more experience on the national team, or playing for club america?

i totally agree that all he needs is a bit more experience, he's going to be a great keeper. however, i see no reason to give him experience playing for the national team. they're generally for the best player, not the player with the best potential.

what you're saying is not really fair, either. to compare the consistancy of the two you'd have to make it double blind, can't say corona is less consistent while playing in CL and for mexico when ochoa didnt do the same this season. if we're talking in terms of the actuall season, i'd say they were both equally consistent until the playoffs.

yeah, i imagine it is a lot of pressure playing for a team like club america that young, it dosent compare to playing against a brazil, argentina, etc., though

for the most part, a keeper is responsible for communicating to his defense. that is the leadership i was referring to.

14. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    Si lo juegan, parece que seria solo para partidos amistosos