Lauren Gregg "resigns" from the leauge

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, May 3, 2003.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Lauren Gregg "leaves" the leauge

In the latest Women's Soccer Insider newsletter it is being reported that Lauren Gregg left the league this past Wednesday. Could it have been a cost saving move by the league? Scott French seems to believe so.

So is this gonna be thread #43 in the continuing "Gloom n' Doom" series?
    :rolleyes:

Where are all those Gregg homers now? They are probably salivating right now thinking she will be the next coach of the USWNT. :rolleyes: Look at Heinrichs's record you fools!

2. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Gregg will never be the USNT coach. Period.
    She is better with the administation duties. Her style with the players just doesn't work.

3. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    Elaborate, please?

4. yellercard2

yellercard2 New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Not much elaboration needed. From the very start, Ms. Gregg wanted a WUSA coaching job bad. The only problem...nobody wanted to play for her! A large contingent of the National Team informed investors that they would not play in the league if assigned to a team she was coaching. The Commish made sure to find a place for her in the league office as an alternative. It seems that a large contingent did not wish to work with her there as well! The National Team is not even a remote possibility - pigs will fly first!

5. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    and what would be the source for your potentially slanderous information mr. yellowcard minion?

6. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    re:

you've got to be kidding Yellowcard right?

The WNT players in particular the Vets were very surprised when she didn't get the head position with the nats. and all of them were pushing for her and wanted her. She had and has a great relationship with all of those players.

7. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    source?

8. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    so many wusa hating april members...surely just coincidence

I can tell you the source, yellercard
    now, “Red Card” who joined bs in April 2003, heard it from
    BuenosAires who also joined bs in april 2003. Buenos Aires, heard it from
    yellercard2, who also joined in april 2003, and yellercard2, heard it from
    da cfo, who also joined april 2003.
    da cfo heard it
    from the original yellercard yellercard…..etc. etc…….

9. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    This is my 3rd year as season ticket holder with the holder with the Charge.

I've enjoyed the quality of soccer, and for the price, you don't get a better value.

There's a lot of pettiness going on here.

Sure the WUSA is struggling to exist, and in any struggling business, there'll be bad things happening.

I don't hear much squabbling about the product on the pitch, but more about personality matters off the pitch.

Oliver had the Charge moving to Los Angeles, and alledgedly has them up for sale.

It's probably true. There are some elements of truth within his information.

It's the vitriolic nature and joy in bad things which the wusa is experiencing which is sad.

taking delight in others misfortune is a shallow life...

people have dreams and delighting in shattering those dreams is cruel...

if wusa ceases to be, then that's life...

but taking joy in death is a sad commentary

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wouldn't weep for Lauren Gregg just yet. If the US finds itself in the position of throwing together a World Cup Organizing Committee this month, I'm sure she'll be able to find something to do.

11. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    re:

Yup....like eventually replacing april H. as the WNT head coach. i am pritty certain that will happen in time.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: re:

I wouldn't bet on it. I wouldn't necessarily bet against it either. I think there will be plenty of candidates for the job once April quits or is fired.

13. yellercard2

yellercard2 New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    For all you doubters...and troll-callers...unless you played in the league or worked for it - I'm betting that my sources (players and coaches) are more accurate than yours. I'd be happy to offer you a few email addresses if you'd like to follow-up with the aforementioned contacts. Not certain that they'd be candid with a stranger, but it's worth a try. Lauren Gregg was not loved by many! As Duh CFO states there are not many secrets in the entertainment world! And just for the record defensewins, a statement is only slander if it is false. I'm pretty comfortable that many a person would support my statements. Thanks for your time!

14. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Gregg:

yellow card:

I would be most interested in seeing this list of people you say are your sources. If lauren Gregg was so hated how is it that she servived two coaches, and several years with the team.

I happen to know one of the players from the Nats, and she made no bones about the fact that they were utterly shocked that Lauren didn't get the job. and were very upset about it as well.

15. yellercard2

yellercard2 New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Here ya Go Mia...

I think this email, distributed only to Insiders, should make you pause. I'd be more than willing to share a number of contacts with you. Will you share your one national teamer with me? Again - many disliked Gregg - not all - but enough! Any thoughts on why she did not coach in the WUSA?

Sent: 4/28/2003 9:29 AM
    Subject: Thank you!

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

I am taking this opportunity to let you know I will be leaving the WUSA
    at
    the end of this month. I truly have enjoyed helping build the WUSA and
    being part of an organization that is providing opportunities for many
    young
    women to realize their dreams. Each of you have played a big role in
    the
    success of the WUSA and in the growth of women's soccer overall. With
    this
    last piece of infrastructure in place, it is time for me to return
    closer to
    the game . . . to work directly with the players, coaches and others who
    are
    "on-the-pitch." Accordingly, I plan to begin consulting with a variety
    of
    people/organizations who I have met during the past 15 years through my
    involvement with the sport. To that end, please do not hesitate to
    contact
    me (information below) if I can be of service to you or your
    organization.
    Thank you.

For your information, if you have any player personnel issues related to
    the
    WUSA at this time, please contact Tony DiCicco at TDiCicco@wusa.com or
    1-860-529-4544.

Finally, may you always have passion for the game . . . and enjoy the
    journey. You are changing history!

16. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Gregg;

Yellowcard:

there is no way I am going to give you the players name. I will not devulge that kind of information to anyone who is not my freind and whom I do not trust implicitly
    nor did i offer such. you were the one that offered.

17. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Funny, this offer didn't sound conditional on anything.........so why is it now?

yeah I am sure, dacfo, yellercard, beunos aires....whatever-that letter you posted was basically contained the the insider letter initially cited in this thread, and frankly i don't see the relevance to your claims.

18. Baggio10

Baggio10 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Actually, yellowcard is right on. The older NATS were not going to stick around if Gregg was appointed coach. That was actually public knowledge. Didn't you find it strange that she wasn't hired after being a coach at every level in the NAT system. The girls weren't fond of her 30, 100 yard sprints!!! That is the truth!

19. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Gregg:

Point me to any Article publically stateing that the Vets didn't like Gregg.

20. Baggio10

Baggio10 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    public in the soccer circles!! Sorry, that's what I meant by public!

21. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    since when has the fed ever cared what the players wanted? and why would they hire someone tony wanted to get his job. after all they dicked him around precisely because he wouldn't keep the nt in line........

22. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    We won't go into the fact that the federation has taken its sweet time in naming a coach since Tony DiCicco "resigned" on Nov. 3. There is a reason for those quote marks -- DiCicco was forced out because the federation wanted him to release players who were outspoken and activists off the field, according to national sources. He refused, saying he was more concerned with what a player does on the field. Unfortunately, DiCicco, the only person on this planet who masterminded his team to winning an Olympic soccer gold medal (1996) and a world championship (1999), isn't coaching said team anymore. That's U.S. Soccer's loss and virtually every other contender's gain. Finalists for the job finally will be interviewed on Friday in Denver, which is home to U.S. Soccer president Dr. Bob Contiguglia” http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/michael_lewis/news/1999/12/17/womens_issues/
    “Despite the endorsement of DiCicco, "hire her" editorials in The New York Times and The Sporting News, and her status as a well-qualified woman, Gregg, 39, is not sure she will get the job. "The thing that probably worries her is why she hasn't been named already," says Tim Nash, a Burlington, N.C., publisher who has co-authored three books on women's soccer, including one by Gregg. "It's disheartening to read all the other candidates who know so much less about the women's game. It's all kind of strange to me. I wonder what the holdup is really." "I support Lauren. She gives us the best chance of winning the Cup in 2000," says the soon-to-be retired DiCicco. Nash thinks U.S. Soccer sees the woman's game becoming more sophisticated. "That what makes Clive (Charles) attractive to them. They say anyone involved in the women's game does not understand tactics enough. That's not true." Also in the hunt is Jay Hoffman, U.S. women's assistant coach; Charles, University of Portland men's and women's coach; and Bobby Howe, U.S. Soccer Federation's director of coaching. Other possibilities are John Ellinger, coach of the men's under-17 national team, and April Heinrichs, the University of Virginia women's coach.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/sosfs62.htm

23. yellercard2

yellercard2 New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Nobody need to point you to any articles - just point you towards the U.S. National Team. It is well known throughout the players and league/team staffs that Ms. Gregg was not offered a coaching job based on U.S. National Team comments. If you'd like, shoot Commissioner DiCicco an email - he has some ask Tony address which someone cited in an earlier post. Or head to autograph alley and ask one of the National Teamers!

24. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Gregg:

I do not need to E-Mail a WNT player, i know one. And I am not going to repeat something that I have already stated. As it would be redundent. and clearly a waste of time.

25. yellercard2

yellercard2 New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Glad you clarified...you know ONE. I know MANY and the vast majority were behind Gregg not receiving an offer to coach a WUSA team. While there may be ONE which would have supported her, that voice would have been speaking alone!