Latin Cup - Copa Latina (1949-1957)

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Buyo, Dec 31, 2020.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Same as Mitropa Cup, the Latin Cup was contested by 4 countries, with these differences that makes Mitropa a more attractive tournament:
    - 4 countries were of similar top level / 2 or 3 for Latin Cup
    - 2 clubs from each country takes part / 1 club only
    - Home and away matches / short tournament, held in a city

Buyo repped this.
  2. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Maravilloso trabajo, Buyo. Es, sin duda, el mejor con el que me he encontrado hasta ahora. Te pongo el link de la documentación "por fascículos" que está añadiendo en su página la IFFHS. Quizás la conozcas ya.

https://www.iffhs.de/posts/847

Si vas pasando páginas hacia atrás podrás ir viendo el resumen de los anteriores.

Buyo repped this.
  3. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    I believe that if the European Cup had existed, for example, since the 20s of the last century XX, the teams from the countries that you indicate (England, Austria, Hungary) and even the disappeared Czechoslovakia would have been the great dominators but I think that with the arrival of Torino in the 40s that dominance of the aforementioned countries could have been stopped during 40s decade to be retaken at the beginning of the 50s by Honved Budapest even if it had a strong rival in FC Barcelona. Later, with the arrival of Real Madrid, we already saw what happened in Europe and then Benfica, Milan, etc.

Regarding the other tournaments that you comment, if one day I find the data I need, I may open a similar thread about the "Small World Cup" of Caracas.

4. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    Of course, the Mitropa Cup had a total format of the European Cup (from the old European Cup not the current Champions) while the Latin Cup worked in a format more similar to the Club World Cup that is played today (although with fewer teams).

Anyway, and as I said, I think this tournament was perfect for a series of teams such as Real Madrid, Milan or Stade Reims to gain international experience and not reach the first edition of the European Cup as true rookies. I think that part of the good results achieved in the European Cup is due to that previous experience in the Latin Cup.

msioux75 repped this.
  5. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    Thank you very much Titanlux.

Yes, I already knew the page, I have consulted it when I had any doubts about the name of a player or the minute a goal was scored.

For the rest, the data came from newspaper archives, Wikipedia, etc.

I have always been very interested in old football and specifically in this type of disappeared competitions, the Latin Cup has always been my favorite and I was surprised that in this forum there was no thread dedicated to it and that is why I was encouraged to write one.

And I did not want to focus only on the tournament itself but on how the teams had arrived at it or incidentally link some "related" story such as the comment I made about the final of the South American Championship in 1919.

Muchas gracias Titanlux.

Sí, la página ya la conocía, la he consultado cuando tenía alguna duda sobre el nombre de algún jugador o el minuto en el que se marcó algún gol.

Por lo demás los datos salieron de hemerotecas, wikipedia, etc.

Siempre me ha interesado mucho el fúbol antiguo y en concreto de este tipo de competiciones desaparecidas la Copa Latina siempre ha sido mi favorita y me sorprendió que en este foro no hubiese un hilo dedicado a ella y por eso me animé a escribir uno.

Y tampoco me quería centrar únicamente en el torneo en sí sino en cómo habían llegado los equipos al mismo o de paso enlazar alguna historia "relacionada" como por ejemplo el comentario que hice sobre la final del Campeonato Sudamericano de 1919.

6. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Yeah, aside from Clubs strenght itself, from contenders in the first editions for Euro clubs tournaments The experience and background gained from Latin Cup in the case of spanish, italian and french clubs was very important to have success in the continental competitions created years after.

It will be interesting, to put more emphasis, in the clubs meeting the Latin Cup, also the stars players who shined on it, and those who failed.

Buyo repped this.
  7. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    Following your comment on which were the best players in the competition, it is not an easy task to get the necessary information since in many chronicles it is not said which player was the most outstanding (or the most outstanding) and through the chronicle itself not always It is easy to deduce who or who were the best but despite everything I have made a small attempt at it.

For example, Strappe, Martins or Vasques have been among the most outstanding players in the history of the Latin Cup due to their scoring side, but I would not put them at the highest level for the following reasons:

- Strappe scored 5 goals but all of them in a single match that do serve him to have the most outstanding performance in the history of the competition in a single match but that with only one match at a high level does not give him the option to be part of the Top -10 of the history of the Latin Cup.

- Martins: he scored 6 goals in the competition but 4 of them were in the matches for third and fourth place when his team no longer played anything important so it is not at the level of the best.

- Vasques: with 7 goals he is, together with Nordahl, the top scorer in the history of the competition but 4 of those goals came in a semi-final match in which they ended up losing (the same match in which Strappe scored his famous 5 goals) so despite being one of the greats of the competition, I don't think I will make it to the Top-5, although it is likely to be close to a top-10.

For me, the best must have stood out in at least two editions of the competition and have reached the final of the tournament in both. With these conditions, I would choose as a possible Top-4 in history:

Estanislao Basora: according to the press of the time, he was the best player of the two games he played in the 1949 edition (Stade Reims and Sporting) in which FC Barcelona won their first cup and even in the semi-finals of 1952 (Juventus) was decisive scoring 2 of the 4 goals of his team.

Gunnar Nordhal: 6 of his 7 goals came in matches where something was really at stake and he was the only player capable of scoring 3 goals (Lille) in the same final (in 1951). It was also very important for his team to qualify for the 1953 final (Stade Reims).

Paco Gento: according to the press of the time, he was the best player in his semifinal in 1955 (Os Belenenses) and was decisive again with the 3 goals he scored in the 1957 semifinal (Milan) in addition to his outstanding performance in the final of 1955 (Stade Reims).

Alfredo di Stéfano: the press talks about the balance he gave the team in the 1955 semifinal (Os Belenenses), also that it was one of the most outstanding in the final of that same year (Stade Reims), which participated in the 5 goals in the semifinal of 1957 (Milan) and that also scored the only goal of the final of 1957 (Benfica).

In addition to these 4 players and together with Manual Vazques could be in a possible Top-10 in the history of the competition Josep Seguer and César Rodríguez who had great performances in 1949 and 1952 with FC Barcelona (and winning both titles), Arsenio Duarte who scored in the 3 games that Benfica played in 1950 and that gave them their only Latin Cup, Raymond Kopa who scored in the 2 games in 1953, year in which Stade de Reims won their only title, Héctor Rial who was the author of the two goals in the 1955 final and Juan Alberto Schiaffino who took over from Nordahl as Milan leader and scored in both games in the 1956 edition.

I have also made a list with the most prominent players of each edition, although I admit that I lack information to consider it 100% accurate, but as a guideline it can serve to get an idea:

1949: Basora
    1950: Duarte
    1951: Nordahl
    1952: Ramallets
    1953: Kopa
    1955: Gento
    1956: Schiaffino
    1957: Di Stéfano

Al hilo de tu comentario sobre cuales fueron los mejores jugadores de la competición no es tarea fácil conseguir la información necesaria ya que en muchas crónicas no se dice qué jugador fue el más destacado (o los más destacados) y a través de la propia crónica no siempre es fácil deducir quien o quienes fueron los mejores pero a pesar de todo he realizado un pequeño intento de ello.

Por ejemplo Strappe, Martins o Vasques han sido de los jugadores más destacados de la historia de la Copa Latina por su faceta goleadora pero yo no los pondría en el máximo nivel por los siguientes motivos:

- Strappe marcó 5 goles pero todos en un único partido que sí le sirven para tener la actuación más destacada de la historia de la competición en un único encuentro pero que con sólo un partido a un alto nivel no le dan opción a ser parte del Top-10 de la historia de la Copa Latina.

- Martins: marcó 6 goles en la competición pero 4 de ellos fueron en los partidos por el tercer y cuarto puesto cuando su equipo ya no se jugaba nada importante por lo que no está al nivel de los mejores.

- Vasques: con 7 goles es, junto a Nordahl, el máximo goleador de la historia de la competición pero 4 de esos goles llegaron en un partido de semifinales en el que acabaron perdiendo (el mismo partido en que Strappe marcó sus famosos 5 goles) por lo que a pesar de ser uno de los grandes de la competición no creo que llegue al Top-5 aunque es probable que esté cerca de un top-10.

Para mí los mejores deben haber destacado al menos en dos ediciones de la competición y haber llegado en ambas a la final del torneo. Con estos condicionantes elegiría como un posible Top-4 de la historia a:

Estanislao Basora: según la prensa de la época fue el mejor jugador de los dos partidos que jugó en la edición de 1949 (Stade Reims y Sporting) en la que el FC Barcelona ganó su primera copa e incluso en las semifinales de 1952 (Juventus) fue decisivo marcando 2 de los 4 goles de su equipo.

Gunnar Nordhal: 6 de sus 7 goles llegaron en partidos en donde había algo realmente en juego y fue el único jugador capaz de marcar 3 goles (Lille) en una misma final (en 1951). También fue muy importante para que su equipo se clasificase para la final de 1953 (Stade Reims).

Paco Gento: según la prensa de la época fue el mejor jugador de su semifinal en 1955 (Os Belenenses) y volvió a ser decisivo con los 3 goles que marcó en la semifinal de 1957 (Milan) además de su destacada actuación en la final de 1955 (Stade Reims).

Alfredo di Stéfano: la prensa habla del equilibrio que dio al equipo en la semifinal de 1955 (Os Belenenses), también que fue uno de los más destacados en la final de aquel mismo año (Stade Reims), que participó en los 5 goles en la semifinal de 1957 (Milan) y que además marcó el único gol de la final de 1957 (Benfica).

Además de estos 4 jugadores y junto a Manual Vazques podrían estar en un posible Top-10 de la historia de la competición Josep Seguer y César Rodríguez que tuvieron grandes actuaciones en 1949 y 1952 con el FC Barcelona (y ganando los dos títulos), Arsenio Duarte que marcó en los 3 partidos que jugó el Benfica en 1950 y que les dieron su única Copa Latina, Raymond Kopa que marcó en los 2 partidos de 1953, año en que el Stade de Reims ganó su único título, Héctor Rial que fue el autor de los dos goles de la final de 1955 y Juan Alberto Schiaffino que tomó el relevo de Nordahl como líder del Milan y marcó en los dos partidos de la edición de 1956.

También he elaborado una lista con los jugadores más destacados de cada edición aunque reconozco que me falta información como para considerarla precisa al 100% pero a modo de orientación puede servir para tener una idea:

1949: Basora
    1950: Duarte
    1951: Nordahl
    1952: Ramallets
    1953: Kopa
    1955: Gento
    1956: Schiaffino
    1957: Di Stéfano

Pavlin Arnaudov, Titanlux and msioux75 repped this.
  8. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    #33 Buyo, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Since these were the two major European competitions prior to the creation of the European Cup, I have wanted to make a small comparison between the teams of the Latin Cup and those of the Mitropa Cup during the first two editions of the European Cup since they are the two unique seasons where the European Cup, the Latin Cup and the Mitropa Cup coincide on the calendar.

European Cup 1955/56

Let us remember that in 1956 the Latin Cup was as follows:

1- Milan
    2- Athletic de Bilbao
    3- Benfica
    4- Nice

And we see that the Mitropa Cup did it in the following way:

1- Vasas Budapest
    2- Rapid Vienna
    Semifinalists: Partizan Belgrade and MTK Budapest (Voros Lobogó)

In the Mitropa Cup the tournament began in the quarterfinals and in addition to Hungarians, Austrians and Yugoslavs, Czechoslovak teams also participated.

Representing these countries participated in the European Cup:

- Austria: Rapid Vienna
    - Hungary: MTK Budapest (Voros Lobogó)
    - Portugal: Sporting Lisbon
    - Italy: Milan
    - France: Stade Reims
    - Spain: Real Madrid
    - Yugoslavia: Partizan Belgrade

No Czech team participated in this first edition of the European Cup.

First round

- Rapid Vienna: Qualified after eliminating Dutch PSV (6-2)
    - Voros Lobogó: Qualified after eliminating Belgian Anderlecht (10-4)
    - Sporting Lisboa: eliminated by Partizan Belgrade (5-8)
    - Milan: Qualified after eliminating Saarbrucken from the Saar Protectorate (7-5)
    - Stade Reims: qualified after eliminating Danish Aarhus (4-2)
    - Real Madrid: qualified after eliminating the Swiss Servette (7-0)
    - Partizan Belgrade: qualified after eliminating Sporting Lisbon (8-5)

That is to say, after this first round, 6 of the 7 teams pass and the only one eliminated is Sporting Lisbon that did it against a team from the Mitropa Cup (Partizán) .In the first leg in Lisbon the result was a tie at three but in the return in Belgrade the Yugoslavs prevailed by a comfortable 5-2.

Therefore, of the 8 teams that remain in competition, 6 belong to federations participating in the Copa Latina or Copa Mitropa.

Quarter finals

- Rapid Vienna: eliminated by Milan (3-8)
    - Voros Lobogó: eliminated by Stade Reims (6-8)
    - Milan: Qualified after eliminating Rapid Vienna (8-3)
    - Stade Reims: Qualified after eliminating Voros Lobogó (8-6)
    - Real Madrid: Qualified after eliminating Partizan Belgrade (4-3)
    - Partizan Belgrade: eliminated by Real Madrid (3-4)

If in the previous round the only confrontation between the “Latinos” and the “Mitropa” had been in favor of the latter in this second round, the representatives of the Latin Cup swept their rivals, winning the three qualifiers at stake.

Milan, after drawing one in Vienna, beat Rapid 7-2 in the second leg in Italy.

Reims, after winning at home 4-2, drew 4 goals in the second leg, although they had the tie controlled at all times as they went ahead 1-4.

Finally, Real Madrid was the one who had a tighter tie, after winning in Madrid 4-0 they had to play the second leg in a completely frozen field where they ended up losing 3-0 and were about to see how the Yugoslavs forced a tiebreaker match.

Semifinals and Final

With no teams from the Mitropa Cup, the representatives of the Latin Cup took 3 of the 4 places in the semifinals and also the two in the final where Real Madrid beat Stade Reims 4-3, making clear the supremacy in this First edition of the European Cup of the Latin Cup teams against the rest of European clubs including those that participated in the Mitropa Cup.

Ya que se trataban de las dos grandes competiciones europeas anteriores a la creación de la Copa de Europa he querido hacer una pequeña comparativa entre los equipos de la Copa Latina y los de la Copa Mitropa durante las dos primeras ediciones de la Copa de Europa ya que son las dos únicas temporadas en donde Copa de Europa, Copa Latina y Copa Mitropa coinciden en el calendario.

Copa de Europa 1955/56

Recordemos que en 1956 la Copa Latina quedó de la siguiente manera:

1- Milan
    2- Athletic Bilbao
    3- Benfica
    4- Niza

Y vemos que la Copa Mitropa lo hizo de la siguiente manera:

1- Vasas Budapest
    2- Rapid Viena
    Semifinalistas: Partizán Belgrado y MTK Budapest (Voros Lobogó)

En la Copa Mitropa el torneo comenzaba en los cuartos de final y además de húngaros, austríacos y yugoslavos también participaron equipos checoslovacos.

Representando a estos países participaron en la Copa de Europa:

- Austria: Rapid de Viena
    - Hungría: MTK Budapest (Voros Lobogó)
    - Portugal: Sporting Lisboa
    - Italia: Milan
    - Francia: Stade Reims
    - España: Real Madrid
    - Yugoslavia: Partizán Belgrado

Ningún equipo checo participó en esta primera edición de la Copa de Europa.

Primera Ronda

- Rapid Viena: Clasificado tras eliminar el PSV holandés (6-2)
    - Voros Lobogó: Clasificado tras eliminar al Anderlecht belga (10-4)
    - Sporting Lisboa: eliminado por el Partizán de Belgrado (5-8)
    - Milan: Clasificado tras eliminar al Saarbrucken del Protectorado del Sarre (7-5)
    - Stade Reims: clasificado tras eliminar al Aarhus danés (4-2)
    - Real Madrid: clasificado tras eliminar al Servette suizo (7-0)
    - Partizán Belgrado: clasificado tras eliminar al Sporting de Lisboa (8-5)

Es decir, tras esta primera eliminatoria pasan 6 de los 7 equipos y único eliminado es el Sporting de Lisboa que lo hizo ante un equipo de la Copa Mitropa (Partizán).En la ida en Lisboa el resultado fue de empate a tres pero en la vuelta en Belgrado los yugoslavos se impusieron por un cómodo 5-2.

Por lo tanto de los 8 equipos que quedan en competición 6 pertenecen a federaciones participantes en la Copa Latina o Copa Mitropa.

Cuartos de Final

- Rapid Viena: eliminado por el Milan (3-8)
    - Voros Lobogó: eliminado por el Stade Reims (6-8)
    - Milan: Clasificado tras eliminar al Rapid de Viena (8-3)
    - Stade Reims: Clasificado tras eliminar al Voros Lobogó (8-6)
    - Real Madrid: Clasificado tras eliminar al Partizán Belgrado (4-3)
    - Partizán Belgrado: eliminado por el Real Madrid (3-4)

Si en la ronda anterior el único enfrentamiento entre los “Latinos” y los “Mitropa” se había saldo a favor de estos últimos en esta segunda ronda los representantes de la Copa Latina barrieron a sus rivales ganando las tres eliminatorias en juego.

El Milan tras empatar uno en Viena goleó por 7-2 al Rapid en el partido de vuelta disputado en Italia.

El Reims tras ganar en casa por 4-2 empató a 4 goles en el encuentro de vuelta aunque tuvo la eliminatoria controlada en todo momento ya que llegó a ir ganando por 1-4.

Finalmente el Real Madrid fue quien tuvo una eliminatoria más ajustada, después de ganar en Madrid por 4-0 tuvo que jugar la vuelta en un campo completamente congelado en donde acabó perdiendo por 3-0 y estuvo a punto de ver como los yugoslavos forzaban un partido de desempate.

Semifinales y Final

Ya sin equipos de la Copa Mitropa los representantes de la Copa Latina coparon 3 de los 4 puestos de las semifinales y también los dos de la final en donde el Real Madrid se impuso por 4-3 al Stade de Reims dejando claro la supremacía en esta primera edición de la Copa de Europa de los equipos de la Copa Latina frente al resto de clubes europeos incluidos los que participaban en la Copa Mitropa.

msioux75 and Titanlux repped this.
  9. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    European Cup 1956/57

Let us remember that in 1957 the Latin Cup was as follows:

1- Real Madrid
    2- Benfica
    3- Milan
    4- Saint-Etienne

And we see that the Mitropa Cup did it in the following way:

1- Vasas Budapest
    2- Vojvodina
    Semifinalists: Rapid Vienna and Red Star

Representing these countries participated in the European Cup:

- Austria: Rapid Vienna
    - Hungary: Honved Budapest
    - Portugal: Porto
    - Italy: Fiorentina
    - France: Nice
    - Spain: Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao
    - Yugoslavia: Red Star Belgrade
    - Czechoslovakia: Slovan Bratislava

Compared to the previous year, only Real Madrid and Rapid Viena repeat.

Preliminary Round

- Porto: eliminated by Athletic Bilbao (3-5)
    - Nice: Qualified after eliminating Danish Aarhus (6-2)
    - Athletic Bilbao: Qualified after eliminating Porto (5-3)
    - Slovan Bratislava; Qualified after eliminating Polish CWKS Warsaw (Legia Warsaw) (4-2)

Of the federations that we are analyzing in this preliminary round, only 4 teams participate and 3 of them pass, only Porto is eliminated against another Latin team such as Athletic Bilbao (the Basques won 1-2 in Portugal in the first leg and also won 3- 2 on the return to Bilbao).

First round

- Rapid Vienna: eliminated by Real Madrid (5-5 after the first two games and 0-2 in the tiebreaker)
    - Honved Budapest: eliminated by Athletic Bilbao (5-6)
    - Fiorentina: Qualified after eliminating Swedish Korrkoping (2-1)
    - Nice: Qualified after eliminating Scottish Rangers (3-3 after the first two games and 3-1 in the tiebreaker)
    - Real Madrid: Qualified after eliminating Rapid Vienna (5-5 after the first two games and 2-0 in the tiebreaker)
    - Athletic Bilbao: Qualified after eliminating Honved Budapest (6-5)
    - Red Star Belgrade: Qualified after eliminating Dutch Rapid JC (6-3)
    - Slovan Bratislava; eliminated by the Swiss Grasshopper (1-2)

After this first round there are 4 representatives from the Latin Cup and only 1 from the Mitropa Cup. In addition, the two duels between "Latinos" and "Mitropas" are settled in favor of the southern European teams, although in fairly even playoffs.

Real Madrid won 4-2 in the first leg against Rapid but in the match played in Austria Rapid won 3-1 with a hat-trick from later legendary coach Ernst Happel. For 20 minutes, Real Madrid was eliminated until Di Stéfano made it 3-1 on the scoreboard and forced the tiebreaker where the Spanish won 2-0 in a match played in Madrid.

The other tie was between Athletic and Honved. The Spanish won in the first leg 3-2 and in the second leg they managed to tie at 3. It should be noted that this match was not played in Budapest but was played in Brussels because in those days the Hungarian Revolution had broken out 1956. It was this tragic event that caused Puskas to end up at Real Madrid a few years later and Czibor and Koksis at FC Barcelona.

Quarter finals

- Fiorentina: Qualified after eliminating the Swiss Grasshopper (5-3)
    - Nice: eliminated by Real Madrid (2-6)
    - Real Madrid: Qualified after eliminating Nice (6-2)
    - Athletic Bilbao: eliminated by English Manchester United (6-5)
    - Red Star Belgrade: Qualified after eliminating CDNA (CSKA) Bulgarian Sofia (4-3)

4 of the five survivors of our analyzed federations pass. One eliminated was Nice, who did it against another Latin team, Real Madrid, after losing 3-0 at the Bernabéu Stadium and losing 2-3 in Nice.

The other eliminated was Athletic Bilbao, who despite winning the first leg 5-3 at Manchester United lost in the second leg by 3 goals to 0.

Semifinals and Final

- Fiorentina: Qualified after eliminating Red Star (1-0)
    - Real Madrid: Qualified after eliminating Manchester United (5-3)
    - Red Star Belgrade: eliminated by Fiorentina (0-1)

In the duel between representatives of the Latin Cup and the Mitropa Cup, the “Latinos” win again. In Belgrade, Fiorentina won 0-1 and in Florence they managed to hold the initial 0-0 to qualify for their first and last European Cup final.

Final

In the final played at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium, Real Madrid beat the Italian team Fiorentina 2-0.

Again in this second edition of the European Cup, the teams from southern Europe beat the teams from central and eastern Europe.

Copa de Europa 1956/57

Recordemos que en 1957 la Copa Latina quedó de la siguiente manera:

1- Real Madrid
    2- Benfica
    3- Milan
    4- Saint-Etienne

Y vemos que la Copa Mitropa lo hizo de la siguiente manera:

1- Vasas Budapest
    2- Vojvodina
    Semifinalistas: Rapid Viena y Estrella Roja

Representando a estos países participaron en la Copa de Europa:

- Austria: Rapid de Viena
    - Hungría: Honved Budapest
    - Portugal: Oporto
    - Italia: Fiorentina
    - Francia: Niza
    - España: Real Madrid y Athletic Bilbao
    - Yugoslavia: Estrella Roja Belgrado

- Checoslovaquia: Slovan Bratislava

Respecto al año anterior sólo repiten el Real Madrid y el Rapid Viena.

Ronda Preliminar

- Oporto: eliminado por el Athletic Bilbao (3-5)
    - Niza: Clasificado tras eliminar al Aarhus danés (6-2)
    - Athletic Bilbao: Clasificado tras eliminar el Oporto (5-3)
    - Slovan Bratislava; Clasificado tras eliminar al CWKS Varsovia (Legia Varsovia) polaco (4-2)

De las federaciones que estamos analizando en esta ronda preliminar sólo participan 4 equipos y pasan 3 de ellos, sólo cae eliminado el Oporto ante otro equipo Latino como el Athletic Bilbao (los vascos ganaron 1-2 en Portugal en la ida y también vencieron 3-2 en la vuelta en Bilbao).

Primera Ronda

- Rapid de Viena: eliminado por el Real Madrid (5-5 tras los dos primeros partidos y 0-2 en el desempate)
    - Honved Budapest: eliminado por el Athletic Bilbao (5-6)
    - Fiorentina: Clasificado tras eliminar al Korrkoping sueco (2-1)
    - Niza: Clasificado tras eliminar al Rangers escocés (3-3 tras los dos primeros partidos y 3-1 en el desempate)
    - Real Madrid: Clasificado tras eliminar al Rapid Viena (5-5 tras los dos primeros partidos y 2-0 en el desempate)
    - Athletic Bilbao: Clasificado tras eliminar el Honved Budapest (6-5)
    - Estrella Roja Belgrado: Clasificado tras eliminar al Rapid JC holandés (6-3)
    - Slovan Bratislava; eliminado por el Grasshopper suizo (1-2)

Tras esta primera eliminatoria quedan 4 representantes de la Copa Latina y sólo 1 de la Copa Mitropa. Además los dos duelos entre “Latinos” y “Mitropas” se saldan a favor de los equipos del sur de Europa aunque en eliminatorias bastante igualadas.

El Real Madrid ganó 4-2 en la ida al Rapid pero en el partido jugado en Austria el Rapid se impuso por 3-1 con un hat-trick del posteriormente legendario entrenador Ernst Happel. Durante 20 minutos el Real Madrid estuvo eliminado hasta que Di Stéfano puso el 3-1 en el marcador y forzó el desempate en donde los españoles se impusieron por 2-0 en un partido jugado en Madrid.

La otra eliminatoria fue entre el Athletic y el Honved. Los españoles ganaron en la ida por 3-2 y en el partido de vuelta consiguieron empatar a 3. Hay que indicar que este partido no se jugó en Budapest si no que se disputó en Bruselas debido a que por aquellos días había estallado la Revolución Húngara de 1956. Este trágico acontecimiento fue el que provocó que unos años después Puskas acabase en el Real Madrid y Czibor y Koksis en el FC Barcelona.

Cuartos de Final

- Fiorentina: Clasificado tras eliminar al Grasshopper suizo (5-3)
    - Niza: eliminado por el Real Madrid (2-6)
    - Real Madrid: Clasificado tras eliminar al Niza (6-2)
    - Athletic Bilbao: eliminado por el Manchester United inglés (6-5)
    - Estrella Roja Belgrado: Clasificado tras eliminar al CDNA (CSKA) Sofía búlgaro (4-3)

Pasan 4 de los cinco supervivientes de nuestras federaciones analizadas. Un eliminado fue el Niza que lo hizo ante otro equipo latino, el Real Madrid, tras perder 3-0 en el Estadio Bernabéu y perder en Niza por 2-3.

El otro eliminado fue el Athletic de Bilbao que a pesar de ganar en la ida por 5-3 al Manchester United perdió en el partido de vuelta por 3 goles a 0.

Semifinales y Final

- Fiorentina: Clasificado tras eliminar al Estrella Roja (1-0)
    - Real Madrid: Clasificado tras eliminar al Manchester United inglés (5-3)
    - Estrella Roja Belgrado: eliminado por la Fiorentina (0-1)

En el duelo entre representantes de la Copa Latina y de la Copa Mitropa de nuevo ganan los “Latinos”. En Belgrado la Fiorentina se impuso por 0-1 y en Florencia consiguió aguantar el 0-0 inicial para clasificarse para su primera y de momento última final de Copa de Europa.

Final

En la final disputada en el estadio Santiago Bernabéu el Real Madrid se impuso por 2-0 al equipo italiano de la Fiorentina.

De nuevo en esta segunda edición de la Copa de Europa los equipos del sur de Europa ganaron la partida a los equipos del centro y este de Europa.

10. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    SUMMARY

We can say that both the teams belonging to the Latin Cup and those belonging to the Mitropa Cup were one step ahead of those from the rest of the continent during these two seasons. For example, in these two years only Slovan Brastilava in the first round of the 1956/57 cup and Athletic Bilbao in the quarterfinals of the same year lost to teams that did not belong to the federations of the Latin Cup or of the Mitropa Cup (the Czechoslovaks fell to Grasshopper and the Spanish to Manchester United).

On the other hand, there were 7 direct duels between "Latinos" and "Mitropas" with a result of 6 knockouts to 1 in favor of those from the Mediterranean.

"Copa Latina" vs "Copa Mitropa":

0-1 Sporing Lisboa-Partizan Belgrade (5-8)
    1-1 Milan-Rapid Vienna (8-3)
    2-1 Stade Reims-Voros Lobogó (8-6)
    3-1 Real Madrid-Partizan Belgrade (4-3)
    4-1 Athletic Bilbao-Honved Budapest (6-5)
    5-1 Real Madrid-Rapid Vienna (5-5 after the first two games and 2-0 in the tiebreaker).
    6-1 Fiorentina-Red Star (1-0)

In other words, southern European football was one step ahead of central and eastern European football in terms of clubs. If the European Cup had started in the 30s of the 20th century, surely the situation would have been the opposite, but already in the 50s the dominant force in club clubs was clearly southern Europe.

RESUMEN

Podemos decir que tanto los equipos pertenecientes a la Copa Latina como los que pertenecían a la Copa Mitropa estaban un paso por delante de los del resto del continente durante estas dos temporadas. Por ejemplo, en estos dos años sólo el Slovan Brastilava en la primera ronda de la copa de 1956/57 y el Athletic de Bilbao en cuartos de final del mismo año cayeron ante equipos que no pertenecían a las federaciones de la Copa Latina o de la Copa Mitropa (los checoslovacos cayeron ante el Grasshopper y los españoles ante el Manchester United).

Por otra parte se produjeron 7 duelos directos entre “Latinos” y “Mitropas” con un resultado de 6 eliminatorias a 1 a favor de los del mediterráneo.

“Copa Latina” vs “Copa Mitropa”:

0-1 Sporing Lisboa-Partizán Belgrado (5-8)
    1-1 Milan-Rapid Viena (8-3)
    2-1 Stade Reims-Voros Lobogó (8-6)
    3-1 Real Madrid-Partizán Belgrado (4-3)
    4-1 Athletic Bilbao-Honved Budapest (6-5)
    5-1 Real Madrid-Rapid Viena (5-5 tras los dos primeros partidos y 2-0 en el desempate).
    6-1 Fiorentina-Estrella Roja (1-0)

Es decir, el fútbol del sur de Europa estaba un paso por delante del fútbol del centro y este de Europa en lo que a clubes se refiere. Si la Copa de Europa se hubiese iniciado en los años 30 del siglo XX seguramente la situación hubiese sido la contraria pero ya en los años 50 la fuerza dominante en clubles era claramente el sur de Europa.

Titanlux repped this.
  11. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Great study, proving that Heartland moved from CentralEurope to Southern Europe from 1930s to 1950s.

At least, this is true for Europe, since the two major Confederations were still separated, each one in its own development.

Buyo repped this.
  12. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    We can make another small analysis based on this occasion on the results that the Italian teams had from 1929 to 1939 in the Mitropa Cup with respect mainly to the Hungarian, Czechoslovakian and Austrian teams.

During those 11 editions, the global results by countries were the following:

CHAMPIONS

- Austria 4 (Austria Vienna 2, Rapid and First)
    - Hungary: 3 (Ujpest 2 and Ferencvaros)
    - Czechoslovakia: 2 (Slavia and Sparta)
    - Italy: 2 (Bologna 2)

FINALISTS

- Austria: 6
    - Hungary: 6
    - Czechoslovakia: 5
    - Italy: 4

It should be noted that the 1932 edition did not end as such and Bologna was considered champion for having won its semifinal against First Vienna (therefore I have included Bologna as champion and finalist but there is no second finalist in the edition 1932, hence the finalists add up to 21 and not 22). This happened as a result of the other semi-final between Slavia Prague and Juventus being suspended due to the serious disturbances that occurred in the second leg, which caused Bologna to be proclaimed champions.

Therefore, we can see that the Italians despite being the most powerful team of the decade (or at least the most successful with two World Cups won) at the club level, although they were competitive, they seemed not to be at the same level as the The rest of the powers in the center of Europe since, as can be seen, they are the ones that reached the least finals and of the two that won one, they did not even see how the final was played (the one in 1932).

In other words, the Italians could compete but could not be considered far from superior to the teams from Austria, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

And along the way the Italians lost some games due to real thrashing, for example (I only put the games with five goals difference):

1930 Rapid Vienna 6-1 Genoa 1893
    1930 Sparta Prague 6-1 Ambrosiana Inter
    1935 Ferencvaros 8-0 Rome
    1935 Sparta Prague 7-1 Fiorentina
    1936 Ujpest 5-0 Torino
    1938 Sparta Prague 9-0 Ambrosiana Inter

Although they also got some important wins:

1932 Bologna 5-0 Sparta Prague
    1934 Bologna 6-1 Rapid Vienna
    1936 Ambrosiana Inter 8-1 Zidenice
    1938 Juventus 6-1 Hungaria MTK

Podemos hacer otro pequeño análisis basado en esta ocasión en los resultados que tuvieron los equipos Italiano de 1929 a 1939 en la Copa Mitropa respecto principalmente a los equipos Húngaros, Checoslovacos y Austriacos.

Durante aquellas 11 ediciones los resultados globales por países fueron los siguientes:

CAMPEONES

- Austria 4 (Austria Viena 2, Rapid y First)
    - Hungría: 3 (Ujpest 2 y Ferencvaros)
    - Checoslovaquia: 2 (Slavia y Sparta)
    - Italia: 2 (Bologna 2)

FINALISTAS

- Austria: 6
    - Hungría: 6
    - Checoslovaquia: 5
    - Italia: 4

Hay que apuntar que la edición de 1932 no tuvo final como tal y se consideró al Bologna como campeón por haber ganado su semifinal frente al First Viena (por lo tanto he incluido al Bologna como campeón y finalista pero no hay un segundo finalista en la edición de 1932, de ahí que los finalistas sumen 21 y no 22). Esto pasó a raíz de que la otra semifinal entre el Slavia Praga y la Juventus fue suspendida por los graves disturbios acaecidos en el encuentro de vuelta lo que provocó que el Bologna fuese proclamado campeón.

Por lo tanto podemos ver que los italianos a pesar de ser la selección más potente de la década (o al menos la más laureada con dos Copas del Mundo ganadas) a nivel de clubes si bien sí eran competitivos parecían no estar al mismo nivel que el resto de potencias del centro de Europa ya que como se puede observar son los que llegaron a menos finales y de las dos que ganaron una ni siquiera vio como la final se llegaba a jugar (la de 1932).

Es decir, los italianos podían competir pero no se les podía considerar ni mucho menos superiores a los equipos de Austria, Checoslovaquia y Hungría.

Y por el camino los italianos perdieron algunos partidos por auténticas goleadas como por ejemplo (pongo sólo los partidos con cinco goles de diferencia):

1930 Rapid Viena 6-1 Genova 1893
    1930 Sparta Praga 6-1 Ambrosiana Inter
    1935 Ferencvaros 8-0 Roma
    1935 Sparta Praga 7-1 Fiorentina
    1936 Ujpest 5-0 Torino
    1938 Sparta Praga 9-0 Ambrosiana Inter

Aunque ellos también consiguieron algunas goleadas importantes:

1932 Bologna 5-0 Sparta Praga
    1934 Bologna 6-1 Rapid Viena
    1936 Ambrosiana Inter 8-1 Zidenice
    1938 Juventus 6-1 Hungaria MTK

msioux75 repped this.
  13. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    As we have said, the Italians could compete but in those 30s they were surely the only country of the Latin Cup members that could do so with guarantees. The French and Portuguese would have suffered since their footballing level was far from that practiced in central Europe (I think they would have taken real beatings on many occasions).

Regarding the Spanish teams, I understand that they could find themselves in an intermediate situation between the French and the Italians, although somewhat closer to the Italians than to the French or Portuguese, I see it difficult for them to win the Mitropa Cup but I don't think they would do it badly according to the clashes in matches between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona with teams from Austria, Hungary and Czechoslovakia between 1929-39 (all of them friendly matches):

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesm/madrid-friend0239.html

- 1930 Real Madrid 7-2 Budapest III Ker
    - 1931 Selección Budapest 2-0 Real Madrid
    - 1931 Selección Praga 1-1 Real Madrid
    - 1936 Real Madrid 4-1 Szegedi

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesb/barca-international.html

- 1929 Barcelona 2-2 Admira Viena
    (el mismo resultado ante el mismo equipo y el mismo año)
    - 1930 Barcelona 6-3 Slavia Praga
    - 1930 Barcelona 6-3 Austria Viena
    - 1930 Barcelona 4-2 Austria Viena
    - 1931 Barcelona 4-2 Viena FK
    - 1931 Barcelona 3-1 Viena FK
    - 1932 Barcelona 0-4 Ujpest Dozsa
    - 1932 Barcelona 1-3 Ujpest Dozsa
    - 1933 Barcelona 1-1 SK Plzen
    - 1933 Barcelona 4-2 SW Donau
    - 1934 Barcelona 2-3 Slavia Praga
    (el mismo resultado ante el mismo equipo y el mismo año)
    - 1934 Barcelona 3-2 Viena SC
    - 1934 Barcelona 5-1 Viena SC

The friendlies at that time were much more important than now since a large part of the income of the clubs came from the box office (there were no television rights as it happens today). But I do not know to what extent they can be considered as a 100% reliable test to measure the real status of these two teams compared to those in central Europe.

For example, FC Barcelona wins 8 games, draws 3 and loses 4 which are good results but it should be noted that all those games are played in their own field and never away from home. For its part, Real Madrid wins its two home games and draws one away and loses the other.

Also these teams faced Italian teams with the following results:

- 1931 Inter Milan 2-3 Real Madrid
    - 1931 Barcelona 3-0 Inter Milan
    - 1932 Barcelona 3-1 Torino
    - 1933 Barcelona 3-1 Milan
    - 1933 Barcelona 0-1 Milan

Good results in general, although once again FC Barcelona plays all their home games while Real Madrid plays away their only match against Italian teams in the period 1929-39 and wins on their visit to Milan.

By the way, in 1930 a club competition was played in Geneva (Switzerland) called the Nations Cup and which faced teams from 10 different countries and whose classification was as follows:

1- Ujpest (Hungary)
    2- Slavia (Czechoslovakia)
    3- First Vienna (Austria)
    4- Servette (Switzerland).
    This club was the one who organized the championship.
    5-8 Real Irún (Spain) - Bologna (Italy) - Fürth (Germany) - Go Ahead (Netherlands)
    9-10 Cicle Bruges (Belgium) Sete (France)

The dominance of the teams from the center of Europe over the others is clear. The French lost both their matches and against the Germans and the Spanish, the Spanish beat the French but lost to the Hungarians and Czechoslovaks while the Italians beat the Dutch and lost to the Swiss team.

Como hemos dicho los italianos podían competir pero en aquellos años 30 seguramente fuesen el único país de los miembros de la Copa Latina que podría hacerlo con garantías. Los franceses y portugueses hubiesen sufrido ya que su nivel futbolístico estaba muy lejos del practicado en el centro de Europa (creo que muchas ocasiones se hubiesen llevado auténticas palizas).

Sobre los equipos españoles entiendo que se podrían encontrar en una situación intermedia entre franceses e italianos aunque algo más cerca de los italianos que de los franceses o portugueses, veo difícil que pudiese ganar la Copa Mitropa pero tampoco creo que lo hiciesen mal a tenor de los enfrentamientos en partidos que hubo entre el Real Madrid y el FC Barcelona con equipos de Austria, Hungría y Checoslovaquia entre 1929-39 (todos ellos partidos amistosos):

ttp://www.rsssf.com/tablesm/madrid-friend0239.html

- 1930 Real Madrid 7-2 Budapest III Ker
    - 1931 Selección Budapest 2-0 Real Madrid
    - 1931 Selección Praga 1-1 Real Madrid
    - 1936 Real Madrid 4-1 Szegedi

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesb/barca-international.html

- 1929 Barcelona 2-2 Admira Viena (el mismo resultado ante el mismo equipo y el mismo año)
    - 1930 Barcelona 6-3 Slavia Praga
    - 1930 Barcelona 6-3 Austria Viena
    - 1930 Barcelona 4-2 Austria Viena
    - 1931 Barcelona 4-2 Viena FK
    - 1931 Barcelona 3-1 Viena FK
    - 1932 Barcelona 0-4 Ujpest Dozsa
    - 1932 Barcelona 1-3 Ujpest Dozsa
    - 1933 Barcelona 1-1 SK Plzen
    - 1933 Barcelona 4-2 SW Donau
    - 1934 Barcelona 2-3 Slavia Praga (el mismo resultado ante el mismo equipo y el mismo año)
    - 1934 Barcelona 3-2 Viena SC
    - 1934 Barcelona 5-1 Viena SC

Los amistosos en aquella época eran mucho más importantes que ahora ya que gran parte de los ingresos de los clubes veían de las taquillas (no había derechos televisivos como sucede hoy en día). Pero no sé hasta qué punto se pueden considerar como una prueba fiable al 100% para medir el estatus real de estos dos equipos respecto a los del centro de Europa.

Por ejemplo, el FC Barcelona gana 8 partidos, empata 3 y pierde 4 que son buenos resultados pero hay que señalar que todos esos partidos los juega en su campo y nunca fuera de casa. Por su parte el Real Madrid gana sus dos partidos en casa y fuera empata uno y pierde el otro.

También estos equipos se enfrentaron a equipos italianos con los siguientes resultados:

- 1931 Inter Milan 2-3 Real Madrid
    - 1931 Barcelona 3-0 Inter Milan
    - 1932 Barcelona 3-1 Torino
    - 1933 Barcelona 3-1 Milan
    - 1933 Barcelona 0-1 Milan

Buenos resultados en general aunque de nuevo el FC Barcelona juega todos sus partidos en casa mientras que el Real Madrid juega fuera su único partido ante equipos italianos en el periodo 1929-39 y vence en su visita a Milan.

Por cierto, en 1930 se jugó una competición de clubles en Ginebra (Suiza) llamada Copa de la Naciones y que enfrentó a equipos de 10 países distintos y cuya clasificación fue la siguiente:

1- Ujpest (Hungría)
    2- Slavia (Checoslovaquia)
    3- First Viena (Austria)
    4- Servette (Suiza). Este club fue quien organizó el campeonato.
    5-8 Real Irún (España) – Bologna (Italia) – Fürth (Alemania) – Go Ahead (Países Bajos)
    9-10 Cículo Brujas (Bélgica) Sete (Francia)

Queda claro el dominio de los equipos del centro de Europa respecto a los demás. Los franceses perdieron sus dos partidos y frente a alemanes y españoles, los españoles ganaron a los franceses pero perdieron frente a húngaros y checoslovacos mientras que los italianos ganaron a los holandeses y perdieron frente al equipo suizo.

14. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    Since I have made a comparison with the teams of the Mitropa Cup, there is the possibility of comparing the teams of the Latin Cup federations (and also those of the Mitropa) in the period 1949-57 with the Latin American teams and I think that the best option is to compare with two of the tournaments that are considered as precursors of the Intercontinental Cup or the current Club World Cup, of course I am referring to the Rio International Cup and the Little World Cup.

INTERNATIONAL CUP RIO

Under this name only two editions were deputized in 1951 and 1952. The tournament brought together teams from Brazil, France, Austria, Yugoslavia, Italy, Portugal, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Germany or Switzerland in its different editions, that is, they participated both representatives of the Mitropa as of the Latina.

Rio Cup 1951

They participated by the following teams:

- Vasco Gama
    - Austria Vienna
    - National Montevideo
    - Sporting Lisbon
    - Juventus
    - Palmeiras
    - Nice
    - Red Star

Five European and 3 South American teams. Sporting, Nice and Red Star lost in the group stage while Austria Vienna lost in the semifinals against Juventus. The Italians would lose in the two-legged final against Palmerias (who had eliminated Vasco de Gama) by 1-0 and 2-2. In any case, it should be noted that the Italians have a very good tournament since they win 4 games, draw 2 and lose only one and that one of their victories was against the champion Palmeiras in the group stage by a resounding 4-0.

Rio Cup 1952

- Corinthians
    - Austria Vienna
    - Peñarol Montevideo
    - Sporting Lisbon
    - Libertad Asuncion
    - Fluminense
    - Saarbrucken
    - Grasshopper

On this occasion, only Austria Vienna managed to reach the semifinals by Europe but was swept 6-2 on aggregate by Fluminense, who were finally champions of the tournament after defeating Corinthians in the final.

Rio Cup 1953 (Officially Rivadavia Correa Meyer Octagonal Tournament)

- Corinthians
    - Vasco de Gama
    - Sao Paulo
    - Sporting Lisbon
    - Botafogo
    - Fluminense
    - Hibernian
    - Olimpia Asuncion

Without representatives from the Mitropa Cup and with only one from the Latin Cup, the adventure of the European teams ended in the group stage as both the Scottish Hibernian and the Portuguese Sporting only managed to tie one game. The champion was Vasco de Gama who defeated Sao Paulo in the final.

Summarizing the three editions, we can say that the Europeans in this tournament were not up to the standards of the Brazilians in this championship, but everything can be nuanced since some factors must be taken into account:

- You have to bear in mind that the Brazilians played at home and that gave them a small advantage.

- The only high-level Latin Cup team to play the tournament was Juventus in 1951 and it came very close to winning it, that is, it was at the same level as its Brazilian rivals.

- Although Austria Vienna seemed to be below the level of Brazilian teams, it did prove to be somewhat above the rest of the South American teams that participated such as Nacional de Montevideo or Libertad Paraguayo.

- Sporting of Portugal participated in the 3 editions, always falling in the group stage and with overall results of 1 victory, 2 draws and 6 defeats, and their only victory was against the Swiss Grasshopper in 1952. That is, very bad results but it should be noted that in those same three years 1951-52-53 this team participated in the Latin Cup getting only 1 victory, 1 draw and 5 defeats, therefore Sporting was not the best team to represent the "Latinos" for South America. Surely if FC Barcelona, Milan or Stade Reims had participated in the Rio Cup, they would have had a chance to win the championship.

Ya que he realizado una comparativa con los equipos de la Copa Mitropa también existe la posibilidad de comparar a los equipos de las federaciones de la Copa Latina (y también a los de la Mitropa) en el periodo 1949-57 con los equipos latinoamericanos y creo que la mejor opción es comparar con dos de los torneos que son considerados como precursores de la Copa Intercontinental o del actual Mundial de Clubes, por supuesto me estoy refiriendo a la Copa Internacional Rio y a la Pequeña Copa del Mundo.

COPA INTERNACIONAL RIO

Bajo esta denominación sólo se diputaron dos ediciones en 1951 y 1952. El torneo juntó en sus distintas ediciones a equipos de Brasil, Francia, Austria, Yugoslavia, Italia, Portugal, Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Alemania o Suiza, es decir, participaron tanto representantes de la Mitropa como de la Latina.

Copa Río 1951

Participaron por los siguientes equipos:

- Vasco Gama
    - Austria Viena
    - Nacional Montevideo
    - Sporting Lisboa
    - Juventus
    - Palmeiras
    - Niza
    - Estrella Roja

Cinco equipos europeos y 3 sudamericanos. Sporting, Niza y Estrella Roja cayeron en la fase de grupos mientras que el Austria de Viena caía en semifinales frente a la Juventus. Los italianos perderían en la final a doble partido frente a con el Palmerias (que había eliminado al V
    asco de Gama) por un 1-0 y 2-2. De todas formas conviene apuntar que los italianos hacen un muy buen torneo ya que ganan 4 partidos, empatan 2 y pierden sólo uno y que una de sus victorias fue ante el campeón Palmeiras en la fase de grupos por un contundente 4-0.

Copa Río 1952

- Corinthians
    - Austria Viena
    - Peñarol Montevideo
    - Sporting Lisboa
    - Libertad Asunción
    - Fluminense
    - Saarbrucken
    - Grasshopper

En esta ocasión sólo el Austria Viena consigue llegar a semifinales por parte de Europa pero es barrido por un global de 6-2 por el Fluminense que finalmente fue campeón del torneo tras derrotar en la final al Corinthians.

Copa Río 1953 (Oficialmente Torneo Octogonal Rivadavia Correa Meyer)

- Corinthians
    - Vasco de Gama
    - Sao Paulo
    - Sporting Lisboa
    - Botafogo
    - Fluminense
    - Hibernian
    - Olimpia Asunción

Sin representantes de la Copa Mitropa y con sólo uno de la Copa Latina la aventura de los equipos europeos termino en la fase de grupos ya que tanto el Hibernian escocés como el Sporting portugúes sólo consiguieron empatar un partido. El campeón fue Vasco de Gama que derrotó al Sao Paulo en la final.

Resumiendo las tres ediciones podemos decir que los europeos en este torneo no estuvieron a la altura de los brasileños en este campeonato pero todo de puede matizar ya que hay que tener algunos factores en cuenta:

- Hay que tener en cuenta que los brasileños jugaban en casa y eso les concedía una pequeña ventaja.

- El único equipo de la Copa Latina de alto nivel que jugó el torneo fue la Juventus en 1951 y estuvo muy cerca de ganarlo, es decir, estaba al mismo nivel que sus rivales brasileños.

- Si bien el Austria de Viena parecía estar por debajo del nivel de los equipos brasileños sí demostró estar algo por encima del resto de equipos sudamericanos que participaron como Nacional de Montevideo o el Libertad paraguayo.

- El Sporting de Portugal participó en las 3 ediciones cayendo siempre en la fase de grupos y con unos resultados globales de 1 victoria, 2 empates y 6 derrotas y su única victoria fue frente a los suizos del Grasshopper en 1952. Es decir, resultados muy malos pero hay que indicar que en aquellos mismos tres años 1951-52-53 este equipo participó en la Copa Latina consiguiendo sólo 1 victoria, 1 empate y 5 derrotas por lo tanto el Sporting no era el mejor equipo para representar a los “Latinos” por sudamérica. Seguramente si el FC Barcelona, Milan o Stade Reims hubiesen participado en la Copa Rio hubiesen tenido opciones de ganar el campeonato.

Titanlux and msioux75 repped this.
  15. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    LITTLE WORLD CUP

Tournament played in Caracas in the 1950s of the last century brought together some of the best teams in America and Europe (Spanish, Portuguese, Colombians, Uruguayans, Brazilians, Argentines ...)

Under this name it was played from 1952 to 1957 and featured champions such as Real Madrid (2 times), Barcelona, Millonarios, Corinthinas and Sao Paulo.

Little World Cup 1952

The following teams participated:

- Real Madrid
    - Botafogo
    - La Salle
    - Millonarios Bogotá

The only European team that participated, Real Madrid, managed to win the championship for the best goal difference against Botafogo (in direct duels they had tied at 2 and also at 0 goals).

It must be remembered that this was not yet the great Real Madrid that would be forged two years later with the arrival of Alfredo di Stéfano (in fact, the Argentine played this edition of the Little World Cup with Millonarios from Bogotá).

Little World Cup 1953 (Winter)

- Rapid Vienna
    - Millionaires Bogotá
    - River Plate
    - Español of Barcelona
    (only played one game and after losing 6-0 against Millonarios withdrew from the tournament, canceling this result from the final classification).

After the Español retired the tournament only remained in three teams and the Millonarios (still with Di Stéfano) were proclaimed champion with a great superiority. The Rapid was third and last.

Little World Cup 1953 (Summer)

Following teams participated:

- Corinthians
    - Barcelona
    - Rome
    - Selection of Caracas

Corinthians wins all 6 games and is proclaimed undisputed champion, leaving the two representatives of the Latin Cup far behind. FC Barcelona is third despite the good work of Kubala during the tournament and Roma was second.

Little World Cup 1955

- Sao Paulo
    - Benfica
    - Valencia
    - La Salle

Valencia came with options to the last day but was not able to get past the draw against Sao Paulo that would end up proclaiming champion of the tournament. Benfica was third.

Little World Cup 1956

- Real Madrid
    - Vasco de Gama
    - Rome
    - Porto

With the majority of European teams, Vasco de Gama can only be second in a tournament won by Real Madrid (champion for the second time). In direct duels between Spaniards and Brazilians, Real Madrid won the first game 5-2 and drew 2-2 the second. Di Stéfano was proclaimed champion with the Spanish, something he had already done with the Colombians from Millonarios.

Little World Cup 1957

- Barcelona
    - Botafogo
    - Seville
    - National

Now, FC Barcelona did not miss the chance of winning this trophy and won ahead of Botafogo (2 points ahead). In direct duels the Spaniards won 3-0 and tied at 2 goals in the last match of the tournament. Sevilla was third.

Summing up the six editions, we can say that the Europeans in this tournament were at the same level as the South Americans, we could even say that when a great team like Real Madrid or FC Barcelona came, they were the top favorites for the final victory.

Moreover, an important fact, from 1949 to 1957 Real Madrid and FC Barcelona played 4 Latin Cups and 4 Small World Cups and won 7 of them, 4 Real Madrid and 3 FC Barcelona, showing that they were already leading teams in those 50s of the last 20th century.

Little to say about the Mitropa teams in this tournament since only Rapid Vienna participated, finishing third and last in one of the two editions held in 1953.

PEQUEÑA COPA DEL MUNDO

Torneo jugado en Caracas en los años 50 del pasado siglo XX reunió a algunos de los mejores equipos de América y Europa (españoles, portugueses, colombianos, uruguayos, brasileños, argentinos…)

Bajo esta denominación se disputó de 1952 a 1957 y contó con campeones como el Real Madrid (2 veces), el Barcelona, Millonarios, Corinthinas y Sao Paulo.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo 1952

Participaron los siguientes equipos:

- Real Madrid
    - Botafogo
    - La Salle
    - Millonarios Bogotá

El único equipo europeo que participó, el Real Madrid, consiguió alzarse con el campeonato por mejor diferencia de goles frente al Botafogo (en los duelos directos habían empatado a 2 y también a 0 goles).

Hay que recordar que este aun no era el gran Real Madrid que se forjaría dos años después con la llegada de Alfredo di Stéfano (de hecho el argentino jugó esta edición de la Pequeña Copa del Mundo con el Millonarios de Bogotá).

Pequeña Copa del Mundo 1953 (Invierno)

- Rapid Viena
    - Millonarios Bogotá
    - River Plate
    - Español Barcelona (sólo jugó un partido y tras caer por 6-0 frente a Millonarios se retiró del torneo anulándose este resultado de la clasificación final).

Tras retirarse el Español el torneo tan sólo se quedó en tres equipos y el Millonarios (todavía con Di Stéfano) se proclamó campeón con una gran superioridad. El Rapid fue tercero y último.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo 1953 (Verano)

Participaron siguientes equipos:

- Corinthians
    - Barcelona
    - Roma
    - Selección de Caracas

El Corinthians gana los 6 partidos y se proclama campeón indiscutible quedando los dos representantes de la Copa Latina muy lejos. El FC Barcelona queda tercero a pesar del buen hacer de Kubala durante el torneo y la Roma fue segunda.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo 1955

- Sao Paulo
    - Benfica
    - Valencia
    - La Salle

El Valencia llegó con opciones a la última jornada pero no fue capaz de pasar del empate ante el Sao Paulo que se acabaría proclamando campeón del torneo. El Benfica fue tercero.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo 1956

- Real Madrid
    - Vasco de Gama
    - Roma
    - Oporto

Con mayoría de equipos europeos el Vasco de Gama sólo puede ser segundo en un torneo ganado por el Real Madrid (campeón por segunda vez). En los duelos directos entre españoles y brasileños el Real Madrid ganó 5-2 el primer partido y empató a 2-2 el segundo. Di Stéfano se proclamaba campeón con los españoles, algo que ya había hecho con los colombianos del Millonarios.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo 1957

- Barcelona
    - Botafogo
    - Sevilla
    - Nacional

Ahora sí el FC Barcelona no dejó escapar la posibilidad de ganar este trofeo y se impuso por delante del Botafogo (2 puntos de ventaja). En los duelos directos los españoles ganaron 3-0 y empataron a 2 goles en el último partido del torneo. El Sevilla fue tercero.

Resumiendo las seis ediciones podemos decir que los europeos en este torneo sí estuvieron a la altura de los sudamericanos incluso podríamos decir que cuando venía un gran equipo como el Real Madrid o el FC Barcelona eran los máximos favoritos a la victoria final.

Es más, un dato importante, de 1949 a 1957 Real Madrid y FC Barcelona disputan 4 Copas Latinas y 4 Pequeñas Copas del Mundo y ganan 7 de ellas, 4 el Real Madrid y 3 el FC Barcelona demostrando que ya eran equipos punteros en aquellos años 50 del pasado siglo XX.

Sobre los equipos de la Mitropa poco que decir en este torneo ya que sólo participó el Rapid de Viena quedando tercero y último en una de las dos ediciones disputadas en 1953.

Titanlux and msioux75 repped this.
  16. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    #41 Buyo, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    I continue to analyze the period in which the Latin Cup was played (1949-57) and also other periods close in time to the dispute of said competition in order to identify other great teams of the time that predate the creation of the Cup from Europe in 1956.

The first thing that comes to mind are 4 great teams such as the Torino Il Grande, La Maquina de River, the Honved by Puskas and the Millonarios by Di Stéfano at the time of El Dorado.

The first two are prior to the inauguration of the Latin Cup and were surely the two best teams in the world in the 1940s.

The other two are contemporaries of the period in which the Latin Cup was played, the Colombians were probably the most outstanding team on the American continent and the Honved were surely the great European alternative to the Italian and Spanish teams. We begin.

HONVED 1950-55

As I have already commented on other occasions in Europe during the Latin Cup dispute period (1949-57), surely the great alternative to Milan, Real Madrid, Stade Reims or FC Barcelona was the Honved Budapest that had Puskas, Czibor, Bozsik and Kocsis as the most prominent players.

This team was the basis of the great Hungarian Team of the 50s, for me the best team in history of those who have never managed to proclaim themselves world champions over the Netherlands in 1974 and Brazil in 1949. The Magyar team between June 1950 and February 1956 they played 50 games and only lost one, precisely the 1954 World Cup Final against West Germany. Well, the base of that historic selection was the Honved Budapest with the help of MTK Budapest.

From 1949 to 1955 (precisely the great years of the Hungarian National Team) Honved had the best years in its history, winning 5 leagues and being runner-up twice and being an absolute reference throughout Europe. This team had the bad luck that during its splendor years the European Cup was not disputed but it was also very unlucky because during its peak years the Mitropa Cup was practically never played and that made us unable to appreciate its true level in the European context.

To my knowledge at the international level they only played two official tournaments, the 1955 Mitropa Cup and the 1956-57 European Cup, both at the end of their period of glory, a period that was cut short by the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 and that made several players left and with it came the end of the great Honved Budapest.

Mitropa Cup 1955

The 1955 League was won by the Honved with 20 victories, 5 draws and only one defeat (in the 7 seasons of 1949-55 the Honved played 175 league games where they won 133, tied 28 and only lost 14 which shows the great dominance they had in their national championship). The second in the league was Voros Lobogo (MTK) and in direct duels Honved had won 5-2 at home and tied at 3 away at MTK's field.

Well, in the quarterfinals of the Mitropa Cup, Honved prevails 5-2 Wiener Sport Club and also wins the second leg 4-5. Puskas, Czibor, Bozsik and Kocsis shone in this tie and showed that they were the big favorites.

The semifinal faced their neighbors from MTK and in the first leg Honved prevailed again 5-2 with a double by Machos and Kocsis and another goal from Czibor. Honved prove they are the best team in Hungary and the top seed to win the Mitropa.

Five days later the second leg was played and Honved surprisingly was swept away by MTK falling by a resounding 5-1 where Puskas scored the Honved's goal of honor. MTK were proclaimed champions by winning 8-1 on aggregate at Dukla Prague.

Personally I think that was a small failure for the Honved 49-55 where in view of the subsequent events they lost the best opportunity in their history to win an international title.

European Cup 1956-57

1956 would see the end of the great Honved due to the Hungarian Revolution and the disintegration of this great team took place during the second tie of the European Cup of the 1956-57 season (those of Budapest were exempt from playing the first round).

The Hungarians faced the Spanish Athletic Bilbao who was the current league champion in Spain. In the first leg in Bilbao, Athletic dominated the scoreboard throughout the match and ended up winning 3-2. Due to the events that were taking place in Hungary, the second leg was played in Brussels and not in Budapest. This caused the Honved to lose the support of their fans as they played very far from their true home. Already in minute 1 Athletic went ahead 1-0 and although the Hungarians drew soon they never managed to equalize the tie and even in minute 80 they lost 1-3 although two goals in the last minutes (Puskas tied in 86) did dream of at least equalizing the tie.

It is true that the political context was very difficult for the Hungarian players to assimilate and that surely affected them in the tie but the sporting reality is that they were eliminated the first time and that for me was another small failure.

Honved, in my opinion, is the best team in Europe of the 1950-55 period, but they had no luck in the international context in terms of official competitions, they only played the Mitropa Cup once and the European Cup came too late to this team.

Sigo analizando el periodo en que se disputó la Copa Latina (1949-57) y también otros periodos próximos en el tiempo a la disputa de dicha competición con el fin de identificar otros grandes equipos de la época que sean anteriores a la creación de la Copa de Europa en 1956.

Lo primero que me viene a la mente son 4 grandes equipos como son el Torino Il Grande, La Máquina de River, el Honved de Puskas y el Millonarios de Di Stéfano en la época de El Dorado.

Los dos primeros son anteriores a la inaguración de la Copa Latina y seguramente fueron los dos mejores equipos del mundo en la década de los años 40.

Los otros dos sí son contemporáneos del periodo en que se disputó la Copa Latina, los colombianos eran probablemente el equipo más destacado del continente americano y el Honved seguramente fuese la gran alternativa europea a los equipos italianos y españoles. Comenzamos.

HONVED 1950-55

Como ya he comentado en otras ocasiones en Europa durante el periodo de disputa de la Copa Latina (1949-57) seguramente la gran alternativa a los Milan, Real Madrid, Stade Reims o FC Barcelona era el Honved Budapest que tenía a Puskas, Czibor, Bozsik y Kocsis como jugadores más destacados.

Este equipo era la base de la gran selección Húngara de los años 50, para mí la mejor selección de la historia de las que nunca han logrado proclamarse campeona del mundo por encima de los Países Bajos de 1974 y del Brasil de 1949. La selección Magiar entre Junio de 1950 y Febrero de 1956 jugaron 50 partidos y sólo perdió uno, precisamente la final de la Copa del Mundo de 1954 frente a Alemania Occidental. Pues bien, la base de aquella histórica selección fue el Honved Budapest con la ayuda del MTK Budapest.

De 1949 a 1955 (precisamente los grandes años de la selección Húngara) el Honved tiene los mejores años de su historia ganando 5 ligas y quedando 2 veces subcampeón y siendo una referencia absoluta en toda Europa. Este equipo tuvo la mala suerte de que durante sus años de esplendor no se disputaba la Copa de Europa pero también tuvo muy mala suerte porque durante sus años de máximo apogeo prácticamente nunca se disputó la Copa Mitropa y eso hizo que no pudiésemos apreciar su verdadero nivel en el contexto europeo.

Que yo sepa a nivel internacional sólo jugaron dos torneos oficiales, la Copa Mitropa de 1955 y la Copa de Europa 1956-57, ambos al final de su periodo de gloria, periodo que se vio cortado por la Revolución Húngara de 1956 y que hizo que varios jugadores abandonasen y con ello se llegó al fin del gran Honved Budapest.

Copa Mitropa 1955

La Liga de 1955 el Honved la ganó con 20 victorias, 5 empates y sólo una derrota (en las 7 temporadas de 1949-55 el Honved juega 175 partidos de liga en donde gana 133, empata 28 y sólo pierde 14 lo que muestra el gran dominio que tenían en su campeonato nacional). El segundo en la liga fue el Voros Lobogo (MTK) y en los duelos directos el Honved había ganado 5-2 en casa y empatado a 3 fuera en campo del MTK.

Pues bien, en cuartos de final de la Copa Mitropa el Honved se impone por 5-2 Viena Sport Club y también gana el partido de vuelta por 4-5. Puskas, Czibor, Bozsik y Kocsis brillaron esta eliminatoria y demostraron que eran los grandes favoritos.

La semifinal les enfrentó a sus vecinos del MTK y en la ida el Honved se impone de nuevo por 5-2 con doblete de Machos y Kocsis y otro gol de Czibor. El Honved demuestra que es el mejor equipo de Hungría y el máximo favorito para ganar la Mitropa.

Cinco días después se jugó el partido de vuelta y de manera sorprendente el Honved es arrasado por el MTK cayendo por un estrepitoso 5-1 en donde Puskas marcó el gol del honor del Honved. El MTK se proclamó campeón al ganar por un global de 8-1 al Dukla Praga.

Personalmente creo que aquello fue un pequeño fracaso para el Honved 49-55 en donde a la vista de los acontecimientos posteriores perdieron la mejor oportunidad de su historia para ganar un título internacional.

Copa Europa 1956-57

1956 vería el fin del gran Honved debido a la Revolución Húngara y la desintegración de este gran equipo se produjo durante la segunda eliminatoria de la Copa de Europa de la temporada 1956-57 (los de Budapest estaban exentos de disputar la primera ronda).

Los húngaros se enfrentaron a los españoles del Athletic Bilbao que era el actual campeón de liga en España. En el partido de ida en Bilbao el Athletic dominó el marcador durante todo el partido y terminó ganando por 3-2. Debido a los acontecimientos que estaban produciéndose en Hungría el partido de vuelta se jugo en Bruselas y no en Budapest. Esto hizo que el Honved perdiese el apoyo de sus aficionados ya que jugaba muy lejos de su verdadero hogar. Ya en elminuto 1 el Athletic se adelantó por 1-0 y aunque los húngaros empataron pronto nunca consiguieron igualar la eliminatoria e incluso en el minuto 80 perdían por 1-3 aunque dos goles en los últimos minutos (Puskas empató en el 86) les hizo soñar con igualar al menos la eliminatoria.

Es cierto que el contexto político era muy complicado de asimilar para los jugadores húngaros y aquello seguramente les afectó en la eliminatoria pero la realidad deportiva es que cayeron eliminados a la primera y eso para mí fue otro pequeño fracaso.

El Honved en mi opinión es el mejor equipo de Europa del periodo 1950-55 pero no tuvo suerte en el contexto internacional en cuanto a competiciones oficiales se refiere, la Copa Mitropa sólo la disputaron en una ocasión y la Copa de Europa llegó muy tarde para este equipo.

Titanlux repped this.
  17. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    MILLONARIOS 1949-53

The period known as El Dorado in Colombian soccer covers the years 1949-53, that is, five seasons in which El Ballet Azul (that's how the Bogotá team was known) won 4 editions and was runner-up in 1950, a title won by Deporte Caldas.

El Dorado is the brightest time of the Colombian championship in all its history as they took advantage of the footballers' strike in Argentina to take away some of their great stars such as Di Stéfano, Pedernera or Rossi and also other of the best players on the continent such as Valeriano López, Héctor Rial or Heleno de Freitas among others, even Hungarian and British players ended up playing the Colombian championship.

With this background it is clear that the Colombian league of those years was one of the most powerful not only in America but in the entire world.

Well, as we have already said, Millonarios was the reference team for El Dorado, winning 4 of the 5 championships at stake and during those 5 years they played 140 league games, winning 99, drawing 30 and losing only 11, spectacular numbers.

In those years Millonarios did not have the opportunity to play any official international tournament in America, which makes it difficult to assess their real competitive level with respect to mainly Brazilian, Argentine and Uruguayan teams. In favor of the Colombians, it must be said that they played many international friendly matches in those years and generally with very good results. For example, they were proclaimed champions of the Trofeo Duelo de Campeones of 1950 (against Universitario de Lima) and 1951 (against Racing de Avellaneda) that faced the League champions of Colombia, Peru and Argentina depending on the year.

There was also a friendly tournament won by Millonarios that was important for Alfredo di Stéfano since it led him to play in Europe and thus start his legend in the new European Cup, I mean the 1952 Bodas de Oro of Real Madrid where the Colombians were proclaimed champions after drawing 2 goals against the Swedes from Norrkoping and winning 2-4 at Real Madrid with a Di Stéfano playing like a big star.

But in the absence of official tournaments, I think that the most important international tournament that Colombians played were the Small World Cups of 1952 and 1953.

Small World Cup 1952

La Salle de Venezuela, Real Madrid, Botafogo and Millonarios were the participating teams.

Millonarios failed to take the title as they finished third with 7 points, one less than Real Madrid and Botafogo. In favor of Millonarios we will say that they did not lose any of the two games they played against the champion Real Madrid (they tied both games) and that a few days before the start of the tournament they had beaten them twice in two games played in Bogotá.

That is, during the El Dorado era they faced Real Madrid 5 times with 3 wins and 2 losses, which are pretty good numbers.

Small World Cup 1953

River Plate, Español de Barcelona, Rapid Vienna and Millonarios were the participating teams.

The withdrawal of Español from the tournament after falling 6-0 against Millonarios left a tournament of only three teams where the Colombians won with 7 points followed by River Plate with 3. The most outstanding result was a 5-1 against the Argentines that demonstrates the superiority of the "El Ballet Azul" over its rival. Di Stéfano was the top scorer of the tournament.

In my opinion, Millonarios de Bogotá was probably the best South American team of the 1949-53 period, but the lack of official international competitions makes it difficult for us to ensure this.

MILLONARIOS 1949-53

El periodo conocido como El Dorado en el fútbol colombiano abarca los años 1949-53, es decir, cinco temporadas en donde El Ballet Azul (así era conocido el equipo de Bogotá) ganó 4 ediciones y fue subcampeón en la de 1950, título ganado por Deporte Caldas.

El Dorado es la época más brillante del campeonato colombiano en toda su historia ya que aprovecharon la huelga de futbolistas en Argentina para llevarse a algunas de sus grandes estrellas como Di Stéfano, Pedernera o Rossi y también a otros de los mejores jugadores del continente como Valeriano López, Héctor Rial o Heleno de Freitas entre otros, incluso jugadores húngaros y británicos acabaron jugando el campeonato colombiano.

Con estos antecedentes queda claro que la liga colombina de aquellos años era una de las más potentes de no sólo de América sino de todo el mundo.

Pues bien, como ya hemos dicho Millonarios fue el equipo referencia de El Dorado ganando 4 de los 5 campeonatos en juego y durante aquellos 5 años jugaron 140 partidos de liga ganando 99, empatando 30 y perdiendo sólo 11, unos números espectaculares.

En aquellos años Millonarios no tuvo la oportunidad de jugar de jugar ningún torneo oficial internacional en América lo que hace difícil evaluar su nivel competitivo real respecto a los equipos brasileños, argentinos y uruguayos principalmente. A favor de los colombianos hay que decir que jugaron muchísimos partidos amistosos internacionales en aquellos años y por lo general con muy buenos resultados. Por ejemplo se proclamaron campeones del Trofeo Duelo de Campeones de 1950 (frente a Universitario de Lima) y de 1951 (frente a Racing de Avellaneda) que enfrentaba a los campeones de Liga de Colombia, Perú y Argentina según el año.

También hubo un torneo amistoso ganado por Millonarios que fue importante para Alfredo di Stéfano ya que le llevó a jugar en Europa y poder iniciar así su leyenda en la nueva Copa de Europa, me refiero al Trofeo Bodas de Oro del Real Madrid de 1952 en donde los colombianos se proclamaron campeones tras empatar 2 goles frente a los suecos del Norrkoping y ganar 2-4 al Real Madrid con un Di Stéfano jugando de forma estelar.

Pero a falta de torneos oficiales creo que el torneo internacional más importante que jugaron los colombianos fueron las Pequeñas Copas del Mundo de 1952 y 1953.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo de 1952

La Salle de Venezuela, Real Madrid, Botafogo y Millonarios fueron los equipos participantes.

Millonarios fracasó a la hora de llevarse el título ya que terminó tercero con 7 puntos, uno menos que Real Madrid y Botafogo. A favor de Millonarios diremos que no perdieron ninguno de los dos partidos que jugaron ante el campeón Real Madrid (empataron los dos partidos) y que unos días antes del comienzo del torneo les habían ganado dos veces en dos partidos disputados en Bogotá.

Es decir, durante la época de El Dorado se enfrentaron al Real Madrid 5 veces con 3 victorias y 2 derrotas lo cual son números bastante buenos.

Pequeña Copa del Mundo de 1953

River Plate, Español de Barcelona, Rapid de Viena y Millonarios fueron los equipos participantes.

La retirada del Español del torneo tras caer 6-0 frente a Millonarios dejó un torneo de sólo tres equipos en donde los colombianos ganaron con 7 puntos seguidos de River Plate con 3. El resultado más destacado fue un 5-1 frente a los argentinos lo que demuestra la superioridad del Ballet Azul sobre su rival. Di Stéfano fue el máximo goleador del torneo.

En mi opinión seguramente Millonarios de Bogotá fuese el mejor equipo sudamericano del periodo 1949-53 pero la falta de competiciones internacionales oficiales hace difícil que lo podamos asegurar.

msioux75 repped this.
  18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I'm not sure in placing The River's Machine as one of the pre-teams contenders for #1 previous Latín CUP era, since its peak ended in 1945, even "La Maquinita" with Walter Gómez was rated ahead of River with DiStefano (intermediate period, at late 40s)

There were others, maybe with short peak, as San Lorenzo 46, Racing 50-51, Vasco 48-49, Peñarol 49-50, among southamericans only

Buyo repped this.
  19. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Me has leído el pensamiento, pues esta mañana estaba mirando qué jugadores húngaros podrían haber sobresalido en la temporada 1954-55, sin llegar a una conclusión clara por falta de mayor información del desarrollo de la liga húngara y de la Copa Mitropa. ¿Me recomendarías el uso de alguna fuente accesible en Internet?

20. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    My idea was to talk about teams that would have stood out in times "close" to the Copa Latina and for a long period of time and any team from the 40s would enter what I have in mind.

For example, San Lorenzo 46, Racing 50-51 or Peñarol 49-50 were great teams but for a shorter period of time than La Maquina. La Maquinita (51-57) does fit more with my idea due to its longevity in time and for shining just in the heyday of the Latin Cup but I opted for the previous River Plate as a historical team since La Maquina is considered by some As the best team in history until 1950, what's more, although I have talked about La Maquina, my idea was to comment more on the period 1941-47 that exceeds 1941-45, which would be more accurate if we talked exclusively about La Maquina of Moreno, Pedernera, Muñoz, Labruna and Loustau..

In any case, I repeat, of the teams that you have mentioned, the one that fits the most due to its longevity is undoubtedly La Maquinita and maybe also Vasco de Gama due to his success as South American club Champion in 1948.

Mi idea era hablar de equipos que hubiesen destacado en épocas “próximas” a la Copa Latina y durante un largo periodo de tiempo y cualquier equipo de los años 40 entraría en lo que yo tengo en mente.

Por ejemplo San Lorenzo 46, Racing 50-51 o Peñarol 49-50 fueron grandes equipos pero durante un periodo de tiempo más corto que La Máquina. La Maquinita (51-57) sí que encaja más con mi idea por su longevidad en el tiempo y por brillar justo en pleno apogeo de la Copa Latina pero me decanté por el River Plate anterior como equipo histórico ya que La Máquina es considerada por algunos como el mejor equipo de la historia hasta 1950, es más, aunque yo he hablado de La Máquina mi idea era comentar más el periodo 1941-47 que excede al 1941-45 que sería más preciso si hablásemos exclusivamente de La Máquina de Moreno, Pedernera, Muñoz, Labruna y Loustau.

De todas formas, repito, de los equipos que has comentado el que más encaja por su longevidad es sin duda La Maquinita y puede que también Vasco de Gama debido a su éxito como campeón sudamericano de clubes en 1948.

msioux75 repped this.
  21. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    RIVER PLATE 1941-47

For many the best team in history until 1950 (also in dispute with Torino Il Grande). From 1941 to 1947 they won 4 league championships (Boca Juniors took 2 and San Lorenzo one) with a balance of 134 victories, 45 draws and 31 defeats. They are large numbers, although not at the level of Millionaires 49-53 or Honved 50-55, but surely the Argentine League had a higher level than the Colombian and Hungarian leagues.

Also in those years the Argentina National Team was probably the best team in the world and River was a key piece in the successes of the "albiceleste". From 1941 to 1947 Argentina won 4 America Cups (for one from Uruguay) showing that the successes of River and Argentina went hand in hand.

Unlike Honved and Millonarios, River Plate, he was able to play several official international tournaments against mainly Brazilian and Uruguayan teams.

The Aldao Cup faced the league champions of Argentina and Uruguay and during the 1940s there were 3 official editions in which River Plate prevailed in all of them, those of 41 (with a resounding 6-1 in the first leg) and 47 against Nacional and that of 1945 against Peñarol.

It should be noted that in the 1940s there were two other editions of the Aldao Cup, the one in 1942 (also official) was not finished since the second leg was not played (in the first leg River lost 4-0 against Nacional so that the title was practically lost for the Argentines) and that of 1946 that was not an official edition and where Nacional beat San Lorenzo in the second leg by a spectacular 7-2.

In 1947 the Copa Sudamericana del Atlántico de Clubles was played, where the champions and runners-up from Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil participated. In a league they faced everyone against everyone except the teams from the same country and the federation whose sum of points of their teams was greater would be declared champion. The federation competition was won by Uruguay and by River teams finished in a disappointing 4th place with just 3 points after beating Palmeiras, drawing with Vasco da Gama and losing to Peñarol and Nacional.

If I leave the 1941-47 range, we see that in 1948 the South American Championship of Champions was played, a predecessor of the current Libertadores Cup. The league champions of Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Peru, Ecuador, Chile and Bolivia participated in that tournament. The championship consisted of an all-against-all league where River finished second with 9 points behind Vasco de Gama who was proclaimed champion with 10 points. In the direct duel between the two, the match ended tied at zero and River was condemned its only defeat in the championship against Nacional by 3-0 (the Uruguayans with 8 points were third in the championship).

River Plate was a great in Argentina in the 40s and also in South America, although he missed the most important tournament that he played at the international level (the South American Championship of 1948) although it is true that the best years of this team had passed.

RIVER PLATE 1941-47

Para muchos el mejor equipo de la historia hasta 1950 (en disputa también con el Torino Il Grande). De 1941 a 1947 ganaron 4 campeonatos de liga (Boca Juniors se llevó 2 y San Lorenzo uno) con un balance de 134 victorias, 45 empates y 31 derrotas. Son grandes números aunque no al nivel de los de Millonarios 49-53 o Honved 50-55 pero seguramente la Liga Argentina tuviese un nivel superior a las ligas colombianas y húngara.

Además en aquellos años la selección de Argentina fuese probablemente el mejor equipo del mundo y River fue pieza clave en los éxitos de la albiceleste. De 1941 a 1947 Argentina gana 4 Copas América (por una de Uruguay) demostrando que los éxitos de River y Argentina iban de la mano.

A diferencia del Honved y de Millonarios, River Plate sí pudo disputar varios torneos internacionales oficiales frente a equipos brasileños y uruguayos principalmente.

La Copa Aldao enfrentaba a los campeones de liga de Argentina y Uruguay y durante los años 40 hubo 3 ediciones oficiales en las que River Plate se impuso en todas, las del 41 (con un rotundo 6-1 en el partido de ida) y 47 frente a Nacional y la de 1945 frente a Peñarol.

Hay que indicar que en los años 40 hubo otras dos ediciones de la Copa Aldao, la de 1942 (oficial también) no se terminó ya que no se jugó el partido de vuelta (en la ida River perdió 4-0 frente a Nacional por lo que el título estaba prácticamente perdido para los argentinos) y la de 1946 que no fue una edición oficial y en donde Nacional se impuso a San Lorenzo en el partido de vuelta por un espectacular 7-2.

En 1947 se disputó la Copa Sudamericana del Atlántico de Clubles en donde participaban los campeones y subcampeones de Uruguay, Argentina y Brasil. En una liguilla se enfrentaban todos contra todos excepto los equipos del mismo país y la federación cuya suma de puntos de sus equipos fuese mayor sería declarada campeona. La competición por federaciones la ganó Uruguay y por equipos River terminó en un decepcionante 4º puesto con sólo 3 puntos tras ganar a Palmeiras, empatar con Vasco da Gama y perder frente a Peñarol y Nacional.

Si me salgo del rango 1941-47 vemos que en 1948 se disputó el Campeonato Sudamericano de Campeones torneo predecesor de la actual Copa Libertadores. En aquel torneo participaron los campeones de liga de Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Perú, Ecuador, Chile y Bolivia. El campeonato consistió en una liguilla de todos contra todos en donde River terminó segundo con 9 puntos por detrás de Vasco de Gama que se proclamó campeón con 10 puntos. En el duelo directo entre ambos el partido terminó empate a cero y a River le condenó su única derrota en el campeonato frente a Nacional por 3-0 (los uruguayos con 8 puntos fueron terceros del campeonato).

River Plate fue un grande en argentina en los 40 y también en Sudamérica, aunque se le escapó el torneo más importante que disputó a nivel internacional (el Campeonato Sudamericano de 1948) si bien es cierto que los mejores años de este equipo habían pasado.

22. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    TORINO 43-49

If River was the most outstanding team in South America in the 1940s in Europe, this honor belonged to Valentino Mazzola's Torino. From 1943 to 1948 in Italy 5 league championships were disputed (2 years there was no Serie A due to World War II) and the 5 championships were won by the Turin team, some of them with absolute dominance as when they scored in 1948 125 goals in Serie A.

This team disappeared in 1949 when its plane crashed and all its players died in the so-called Tragedy of Superga. Since that accident, Torino has never been the same since in the last 70 years they have only won Serie A (1976) once again, ceasing to be one of the top teams in Italian football.

In those years, Europe was in full reconstruction after the war and not many international matches were played. This Torino only played the Latin Cup in 1949 and did so just after the accident that cost their players their lives, so in reality their best team could not participate in the tournament against the champions of Spain, France and Portugal. They finished third after losing 3-1 in the semi-finals to Sporting Lisbon and winning 5-3 at Stade Reims in the match for third place.

TORINO 43-49

Si River fue el equipo más destacado de Sudamérica en los años 40 en Europa dicho honor perteneció al Torino de Valentino Mazzola. De 1943 a 1948 en Italia se disputaron 5 campeonatos de liga (2 años no hubo Serie A debido a la II Guerra Mundial) y los 5 campeonatos fueron ganados por el equipo de Turín, alguno de ellos con un dominio absoluto como cuando en 1948 marcaron 125 goles en la Serie A.

Este equipo desapareció en 1949 cuando su avión se estrelló y fallecieron todos sus jugadores en la conocida como Tragedia de Superga. Desde aquel accidente el Torino no ha vuelto a ser el mismo ya que en los últimos 70 años sólo han ganado una vez más la Serie A (1976) dejando de ser uno de los equipos top del fútbol italiano.

En aquellos años Europa estaba en plena reconstrucción tras la guerra y no se disputaban muchos partidos internacionales. Este Torino sólo disputó la Copa Latina de 1949 y lo hizo justo después del accidente que costó la vida a sus jugadores por lo que en realidad su mejor equipo no pudo participar en el torneo frente a los campeones de España, Francia y Portugal. Terminaron terceros tras perder 3-1 en semifinales ente el Sporting Lisboa y ganar 5-3 al Stade Reims en el partido por el tercer puesto.

23. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    In any case, the fact that a team has dominated its league in an important way as Millionaires 49-53 did in Colombia, River Plate 41-47 in Argentina, Honved Budapest 50-55 in Hungary and Torino 43-49 in Italy does not guarantee us. that they would have been proclaimed champions of Europe or America had there been a continental tournament in those years that faced the league champions of each country.

For example, in Europe there have been several teams that have dominated their league for several years in very important championships such as the Italian, the Spanish or the German, and they never managed to win the European Cup despite the great game displayed over many seasons. Some examples:

Juventus 1972-78

They won 5 leagues and were runners-up twice. In Europe they won the 1977 Uefa Cup, reached the semifinals of the 1978 European Cup and even reached the final of the European Cup in 1973 but lost to Cruyff's Ajax 0-1.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1970-77

In those 8 years they won 5 German Bundesligas leaving the other 3 to the great Bayern of Franz Beckenbauer. In Europe they won the Uefa Cup in 1975 and were runners-up in 1973. In the European Cup they lost the 1977 final against Liverpool by 1-3. Even if we go beyond 1977 in Europe they continued to have good results; the semifinals of 1978 in the European Cup, the Uefa Cup won in 1979 and the final lost in this same competition in 1980. That is, they were a very competitive team in Europe and Germany but they never managed to win the top continental competition.

Bayern Munich 1980-90

In these 11 seasons the Bavarians won 7 Bundesligas but never managed to be European champions. His best results in this competition were the semi-finals of 1981 and 1990 and the finals of 1982 (loss to Aston Villa by 0-1) and 1987 (loss to Porto by 1-2). And that several of its players were part of the German National Team that had such good results in that decade as they won the Euro-80 and the World Cup-90 being runners-up in the World Cup in 1982 and 1986 but still did not manage to lift the Cup of Club Europe.

Real Madrid 1986-90

The team known as “La Quinta del Buitre” won 5 leagues in a row but did not even manage to reach a final of the top European competition, remaining in the semifinals consecutively on 3 occasions in the period 1987-89. In the Uefa Cup they did triumph, winning the 1986 edition (previously Real Madrid had also won the 1985 edition).

Juventus 2012-20

This team has achieved an incredible record in the major European leagues by winning Serie A 9 times in a row. It is true that it has not been the best time for Italian football, but even so we are talking about an outstanding record. Well, despite its dominance in Italy, Juventus has not managed to prevail in the top European competition, having its best results in 2015 when it lost the final against FC Barcelona 1-3 and in 2017 when it lost the final again by 1 -4 against Real Madrid.

In other words, dominating your league in an overwhelming way and being considered one of the best teams of your time, as happened to Honved, River, Millonarios and Torino, does not guarantee that they would have been proclaimed continental champions if had existed in the 1941-55 period the Europe Cup or the Libertadores Cup because football does not understand "theories" or "probabilities", football only understands "effective results".

De todas formas que un equipo haya dominado su liga de forma importante como hicieron en su momento Millonarios 49-53 en Colombia, River Plate 41-47 en Argentina, Honved Budapest 50-55 en Hungría y Torino 43-49 en Italia tampoco nos garantiza que se hubiesen proclamado campeones de Europa o de América de haber existido en aquellos años un torneo continental que enfrentase a los campeones de liga de cada país.

Por ejemplo, en Europa ha habido varios equipos que han dominado su liga durante varios años en campeonatos muy importantes como son el Italiano, el español o el alemán y nunca consiguieron ganar la Copa de Europa a pesar del gran juego desplegado durante muchas temporadas. Algunos ejemplos:

Juventus 1972-78

Ganaron 5 ligas y fueron subcampeones dos veces. En Europa ganaron la Copa de la Uefa de 1977, llegaron a las semifinales de la Copa de Europa de 1978 e incluso alcanzaron la final de la Copa de Europa en 1973 pero perdieron ante el Ajax de Cruyff por 0-1.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1970-77

En esos 8 años ganaron 5 Bundesligas alemanas dejando las otras 3 al gran Bayern de Franz Beckenbauer. En Europa ganaron la Copa de la Uefa de 1975 y fueron subcampeones en 1973. En la Copa de Europa perdieron la final de 1977 frente al Liverpool por 1-3. Incluso si vamos más allá de 1977 en Europa siguieron teniendo buenos resultados como las semifinales de 1978 en la Copa de Europa, la Copa de la Uefa ganada en 1979 y la final perdida en esta misma competición en 1980. Es decir, fueron un equipo muy competitivo en Europa y en Alemania pero nunca lograron ganar la máxima competición continental.

Bayern Munich 1980-90

En estas 11 campañas los bávaros ganaron 7 bundesligas pero nunca consiguieron ser campeones de Europa. Sus mejores resultados en esta competición fueron las semifinales de 1981 y 1990 y las finales de 1982 (derrota ante el Aston Villa por 0-1) y 1987 (derrota ante el Oporto por 1-2). Y eso que varios de sus jugadores formaban parte de la selección alemana que tan buenos resultados tuvo en aquella década ya que ganaron la Euro-80 y el Mundial-90 siendo subcampeones del mundo en 1982 y 1986 pero aun así no consiguieron levantar la Copa de Europa de Clubes.

Real Madrid 1986-90

El equipo conocido como "La Quinta del Buitre" ganó 5 ligas de forma consecutiva pero ni siquiera consiguieron llegar a una final de la máxima competición europea quedándose en semifinales de manera consecutiva en 3 ocasiones en el periodo 1987-89. En la Copa de la Uefa sí triunfaron ganando la edición de 1986 (previamente el Real Madrid también había ganado la de 1985).

Juventus 2012-20

Este equipo ha logrado un record increíble dentro de las grandes ligas europeas al ganar 9 veces consecutivas la Serie A. Cierto que no ha sido la mejor época del fútbol italiano pero aun así estamos hablando de un registro sobresaliente. Pues bien, a pesar de u dominio en Italia la Juventus no ha conseguido imponerse en la máxima competición europea teniendo sus mejores resultados en 2015 cuando perdió la final frente al FC Barcelona por 1-3 y en 2017 cuando volvió a perder la final por 1-4 frente al Real Madrid.

Es decir, dominar tu liga de forma abrumadora y ser considerado uno de los mejores equipos de tu época como les pasó al Honved, River, Millonarios y Torino tampoco garantiza que se hubiesen proclamado campeones continentales de haber existido en el periodo 1941-55 la Copa de Europa o la Copa Libertadores porque el fútbol no entiende de “teorías” o “probabilidades”, el fútbol sólo entiende de “resultados efectivos”.

24. Buyo

Buyo Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 20, 2020
    Pues no sabría decirte, que recuerde creo que la mayoría de los datos los he sacado con ayuda de la wikipedia inglesa. Si entras en las páginas de la Liga Húngara y de la Copa Mitropa en la wiki inglesa te apareceran muchas referencias y links externos que tal vez te puedan ayudar. De todas formas si encuentro algún link interesante te lo haré llegar.

25. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Italy 3:2 Hungary (10 Torino players in the team)

Here's a Torino brazilian tour in 1948
    http://rsssf.com/tablest/torino-braztrip48.html

A match vs Benfica, before the air disaster
    Taça Oliveti 1949.

Buyo repped this.