Latin American Flair Will Boost MLS Popularity

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Zitor, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

WARNING==Mixing flair and latin americans may not achieve desired results.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Paul Gardner actually has (exactly) one thing to say: the US style of soccer really is basically based for the most part on a caricature of what Euros did 25 years ago, and it is neither very effective nor aesthetically pleasing to watch. It's just that, having that one point, he'll repeat it endlessly and try and use it on situations where it doesn't apply.

I don't find that much wrong with Gardner's article other than that he's written it 100 times already.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Paul Gardner has a permanent case of the Monday's.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Brits are all overpriced. So are Dutch, French, Germans, Spanish and Italian players. Current MLS budgets will not allow us to compete for players from those countries because we would have to outbid clubs from those countries that have a lot more spending money.

If you want reasonably priced Europeans, you need to go to Eastern Europe especially the Balkans.

5. Inca Cat

Inca Cat Red Card

Sep 7, 2007
    Oakland
    Are you being sarcastic?

6. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
  7. DDT5583

DDT5583 Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When asked about the style he wants in Chicago, Juan Carlos Osorio said he wanted a combination of long passes from the back (England) and short, quick passing b/t mids and strikers ( South America) I am paraphrasing, but when I think about the evolving style of the MLS and the US in general, I think this fusion is where I'd like to see us go. Developing a distinctly American style of play that is both coherent and fluid is one of the keys to unlocking our potential

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Coincidentally, when it comes to young Latino men, Gardner also wants deep balls from the back.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Repped. Twisted, sick and probably true

10. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Hallelujah!!!!

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whata bout the american fan MLS is a American league....

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you dont really need alot of foreign stars actually maybe a hand ful, really need are more home grown american
    soccer players and market them more, they will benefit with a true american backing

13. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The American fans who are soccer fans, but who are not anglophile soccer fans?

Yeah, we have a word for those fans: they're called MLS fans.

Or are you referring to the BigSoccer creation known as Joe Sixpack?

14. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just dont think major league soccer is catering more to american sports fans, i mean 12 yrs and you still have to take a back seat to college football on a offseason during spring practice on espn2 lolololol.... i wish mls would market more american players, yeah the foreigners are cool, but they varent americans.

15. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    So you want MLS to market to Americans who are not soccer fans? That's definitely one approach, although it might not be the most bang for your buck.

Which American players do you think are marketable enough to turn non-soccer fans into MLS fans?

16. Rampart66

Rampart66 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Most of the good American players are playing in Europe, but there are still a lot of American players that can be marketed. Landon Donovan, Eddie Johnson, Jozy Altidore, Brian Ching (etc.). Every team has at least one marketable American player.

More to the point of the discussion is that I hope MLS isn't considered a "latino" league by many non-fans. A reputation like that can hurt the league's attempt to draw in new viewers. While, I like the fact that there are Spanish broadcasts, MLS should make sure that broadcasts are equally available in both languages. (I wasn't pleased about the LA/FC Dallas game in the SuperLiga being broadcast in Spanish only - That sends the wrong message to English speaking fans)

17. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

actually americans soccer fans and non soccer fans mianly american sports fans causuals at the least, i feel Soccer here is just like how american football is when played in europe, only good for the curious minded, the peole that are passionate are gonna come and see regardless, yes they might complain and so on but they gonna come cause it something its curious about...... i think the state of soccer in the US in description is like that old Life cereal commercial, the two boys refused to eat, then gave the third kid who would eat anything???? remeber?? .....being staright up honest MLS is doing well when selling the game to expats soccer moms and latino fans, mainly because its more soccer and games are more closer to attend here in the states compared to europe or south america....

MLS gotta market better beyond donovan and they not even really putting him out there.. actually more foreigners are being marketed which is pretty good, not as good as other sports marketing here, ofcourse i am not a expert by any means, but if the head honchos like garber and suni can get something working better...... i think they need a better marketing firm or something... i still see no american market being caterd too...

18. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i also agreee, i listen to BBC and talksport from UK on the internet and time to time i hear fans and other people talk about how foreigners are killing english (ffotball) soccer development.

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    What kind of marketing do you think they should do with those players and what effect do you think it will have? I think each of those players has been featured in at least one national ad campaign.

Yeah, there's a balancing act between drawing in Spanish speakers and pushing away English speakers. And there's a balancing act between making money (i.e. giving Telefutura exclusive rights to Superliga) and pushing away English speakers. I hope we're striking the right balance...

20. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Yeah, they tried making soccer appeal to the masses before. They were spectacularly unsuccessful.

There were a number of problems in their approach, so I don't think it's absolutely doomed to failure, but why do you think this strategy will do better this time?

Personally, I think a smart businessman will put the money where it's likely to get the best return: it's easier to make soccer fans into MLS fans than it is to make baseball fans into MLS fans. I'd stick with the current formula, which seems to be working.

21. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mLS isnt bringing its a game for the american audience... its barely getting by with the non american appeal.

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Actually, MLS did much worse than it's currently doing when it tried to "bring its game for the American audience". Like I said, there were problems with their approach, but you're advocating an idea that has flopped badly in the past.

Either it's a terrible idea, or you need to come up with reasons why this time will be different.

23. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

im pretty certain that MLS is more for non americans than it is for americans. i think, the DBex campaign is so far the worst sports event of all time and i did so far. if he was one of the reasons to lift american appeal to soccer then it really it a serious blow. whats is working for MLS is the latino market in tv especially but it doesnt benefit anyone but the latinos., the english tv rights are their but look one espn match every other week, the rest on premium cable packages... i dont see how latio flair will bout mLS popularity especially within a well crowded ....american sports landscape here.

24. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The following is attributed to Einstein (although I've got my doubts about that):
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

What you're advocating has, on some levels, been tried. It didn't work. If you can come up with reasons why it will work this time (and I think there are a few), then this is worth discussing. If not, it's a dead end.

25. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if tats the case then why bother to have MLS exist if they only catering to latinos????? last time i checked segregation is illegal right???:mad: