Latest Soccer Silicon Valley newsletter (Friday, 7/1/05)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    We tried that in the 70's & 80's...though it wasn't quite "legal".

2. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    I sense this is code for the services rendered....:D

3. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    How about legalizing male prostitution in SJ now?
    This may attract some new fans from the north, and also gives an extra opportunity for a visiting team's players to earn some money.

4. Gary Singh

Gary Singh BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 12, 2002
    San Jose
    Absolutely. If they can offer a "family section" where no alcohol is allowed, then they should offer an alcohol and prostitution section where families aren't allowed. Throw in a hash bar on the mezzanine level and you've got a perfect South Bay SSS transplanted from Amsterdam. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

5. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Brings a whole new definition to "The Casbah".

We could also place a tax on it to support a SSS.

Think of the marketing angles. "Score a goal for the Quakes".

Think of the PSAs. (Q holding a Trojan™) "Don't get red carded, use a condom".

6. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    would they be on the "developmental" roster?

7. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Febo for all the concessions!!!!

8. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    And just think, all the male fans would now get payed every time AEG screws em. In no time we could afford a new stadium.

9. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose
    Well, the thing about Ajax, I simply don't like them. I have developed a dislike for them over many years. I don't think there is very much I can divulge into this particular topic. To be perfectly honest, I don't remember the exact event that spurred my personal disliking of the team.

And as for the whole SF Quakes thing, well, it’s better than Houston. I still want them to stay in the South Bay though. Though I suppose the SB hasn't exactly rolled out the red carpet for them. I think why I was so militant about the Quakes not going to SF last year, was there seemed to be relatively no effort to keep the Quakes in the South Bay. Now that all the municipalities have been contacted, and authorities such as Gonzo have basically done nothing, SF seems to be a better alternative than Texas. But, now is a time to just sit and wait. I still believe, but doubts are starting to creep in.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and Pukka Pies* would rock! :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

* Which is English, not Dutch. But still...

11. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that I always read these here first, way before they're in my e-mail. You guys are better than the AP. :)

12. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p So our home games would feel more like a rock concert?

13. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to go with the chicken littles on this one. That statement from AEG is a "non-denial denial."

Q: Is it true you have reached an agreement in principle with CA (implying that they still need to sign a final agreeement)?

A: We have not signed a final agreement.

AEG did not deny the CA report. This is the worst things have been since we had that rally downtown to save the team last time around.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel awful right now.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wrong. All they are saying in their answer is that they have not signed a final agreement. Meaning no deal has been reached with anyone. I'm happy with that answer. Have patience. The time will come. They simply can't say anything more right now. But I'm sure the time will come when they can. Patience.

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Not necessarily...as chief contrarian I must point out that because a final agreement has not been signed does not necessarily mean that a deal has not been agreed to. I, too, join in the worrier department.

16. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get in here with the prestige benefit of this. We just had a column in the Mercury News about how San Jose is not a good tourist destination, that people only come here when they have to, for business. People do come from around the world for business visits, and thousands live and work here, mostly based on technology. A soccer team doesn't make any sweeping change, but what other South Bay organization is bringing over professional sports teams from Portugal, or bringing the city's name to tournaments in Spain? People who live and work here have a skewed idea of this city's fame, because they are working/living in a place where technology is a huge part of life and society. Of course anyone in the world who works in a similar business or is excited about tech products will know of San Jose. In most of the world, however, that business is nowhere near so large that mainstream societies would know that there's a San Jose other than the capitol of Costa Rica.
    Now you know one activity/business that is almost as much a part of life as eating in most of the world? It has nothing to do with A's to San Jose.

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wrong too then. :p

And even if there is a final agreement, it doesn't mean it's with CA. I mean, for heaven's sake, isn't a final agreement what we want?! :)

In any case, I refuse to let CA get me worried. They aren't worth the bother....

18. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's futile for us--not directly involved in the talks--to try to read between the lines of articles, SSV letters, or anything else that has been posted all over bigsoccer. About the only thing that seems certain to me is that this will get resolved one way or the other soon (i.e. before the All Star game).

It's an excruciating wait...

19. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Why did West Brom cancel their trip rather than play a friendly vs. the Quakes?

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point. So let's stop!

But never stop believing!

"Don't stop believin'.... Hold on to that feelin'"

21. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    What, and AEG throw us a bone?

Actually, this is one bit of info that keeps me positive. If AEG and Televisa are so close to consummation, I would have thought that, as a coming out party, they might try to get the Quakes and WBA to play a friendly in Houston. It would have saved AEG a ton of grief.

22. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    You know now you're going to make me play that song at the ballpark tonight. Good seats are still available for your SJ Giants and the legendary Modesto Nuts.

23. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    It sure is fun to think about Ajax as the new owners of the Quakes and I like the idea of JOB playing for the Quakes even more. That is really what he should do - take the LD route and head for the sun and fun of tCalifornia but land in the South Bay. He'd be much happier here.

Ah it is nice to dream.

Here's to San Jose making it to Super club status first in MLS! :D

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* What a wonderful picture!

25. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If everything went SJQF's way, all posts on BigSoccer would stop and it would be her own personal news updates.