Latest Soccer Silicon Valley newsletter (Friday, 7/1/05)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ebarloewen

ebarloewen Member

Aug 4, 2003
    San Jose
    WE really are desperate if we are clinging to this AJAX rumor.

With that said I still have a small amount of hope. Go SSV!

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a fan of Dutch football. They just love to hip check.

On the other hand, I would love it if Ajax (or ABN Amro for that matter) bought the Might Quakes and kept them in San Jose where they belong!!!

Heck, I'd love it if Club America bought the team, if they kept them here, didn't change the name or uniforms, built us a stadium, and basically did all the right things. They'd have plenty of opportunity to bring in some youth players from their development programs without sacking tons of players given the yearly turn over of players. But they are weasels and have no patience, which is really sad because they play a very attractive, stylish, attacking brand of soccer in Mexico. :(

Oh, and did I mention that Orange is my favorite color? I think I could suffer with Ajax as our owners. I could manage. :D

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

3. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: Ever heard of total football?

Ajax is red and white. The Oranje is the Dutch National Team.

4. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because I've already seen where the rumor may have started

http://www.ajaxtalk.nl/portal/viewtopic.php?t=5518

"I heard a rumor today (from a very credible source) that Ajax America (formerly Ajax Orlando) is making inquiries about joining MLS. I have no further info, but if true that would be a major step forward."

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like how despite the overall BigSoccer "wisdom" last year, we clung to the small amount of hope that there'd be a 2005 San Jose Earthquakes anyway (though I have no idea whether or not the Ajax rumor is true)? ;)

BELIEVE!

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

This could be expansion too. If the Orlando deal is working out, then maybe they'd like to take another crack at MLS in Florida.

I'm leaning toward the "other" dutch superclub. Their company has a big stake in Silcon Valley, they have dumped TONS of money into advertising (geared around soccer) in the USA. I can see a nice rivalry between them and Ajax (sort of like the one with CA and Chivas).

I'm also wondering if there is something going on with Chicago. Could AEG have some kind of "secret" deal with CA regarding selling the Fire? I keep coming back to the sudden firing of Peter Wilt. He's still there until the end of the season as GM, but he's out of the decision making loop. I don't see Guppy as having ANY ability to function as a GM (maybe president, but no way can he scout players and make personal decisions).

Perhaps the Houston deal is a distraction from CA moving to Chicago to play in Bridgeview next year? That would make a hell of an announcement at the All-Star game.

7. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm. Is Ajax Orlando's recent rebranding to "Ajax America" just coincidental or what? Why did they do this?

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would CA be doing all of the prep work in Houston if this was the case? Makes no sense at all.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their working on training academies nationwide, so they needed a national name. Also, they have taken over a women's team in LA in the WPSL.

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I don't think that SSV is trying to mis-lead you, because they are correct in that a deal isn't "done" yet, but at the same time, it's heading that way in a hurry.

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! I'd be happy with Club America too. IF they hadn't said all the crap they've said. And IF they just kept us the Quakes and marketed off that history.

But Ajax could do so much for the team! Peeps! Don't you realize the history of Ajax? All that they can do! They know the sport! It would be awesome!

12. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Good luck with everything but the momentum seems to be building on this. One good thing is that I think within the month you will know one way or another whats going to happen. The days of guessing and speculating will be over. I wish CA would buy KC instead of SJ.

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish CA would buy nobody with the crap they've said they'd do. I wish they'd just get their own expansion team and keep their grubby hands off the teams that already exist.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a difference between 'being desparate' and 'having fun with'

besides ... why be desparate? we've got SSV on our side! :)

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wish they'd stay in Mexico where they belong and take Chivas with them. :(

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

because Ajax Orlando of San Jose sounds stupid.

17. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose
    I hate Ajax.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Because if they did the "prep" work in Chicago instead, they go through the same treatment they got when Johnny Moore resigned (supporters up in arms, very negative press).

I think they are using Houston as a "distraction". They include AEG. They've learned their lesson. See how they took out Wilt? No rumors, just swiftly came in and did it. It's pretty hard to do that when selling a franchise. Someone has to come in and look around.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good to know. Thanks.

21. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff:

sorry, I don't understand your logic at all. I think Noah's right (as he often is).

Look, there is no confirmation on either side, no named sources, these are rumors. Deals take a while.

SJAnfield, aren't you one of the people who said if the Quakes moved to SF you wouldn't support them? I find your 'I hate Ajax' statement mystifying, at best, particularly without further comment.

Tony

22. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Would they also alter the "smoking areas"?

23. Gary Singh

Gary Singh BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 12, 2002
    San Jose
    Well, maybe they'll convice Ron Gonzales to legalize prostitution, like in Amsterdam. After all, now that we're the tenth largest city in the country...

24. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite

Well, that would be one way to get people downtown, now wouldn't it!

:eek: :D

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that require special sections in the new South Bay SSS? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G