Latest Soccer Silicon Valley newsletter (Friday, 7/1/05)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got this email :) :

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, among other things, validates my recent statements that the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds has once again become a stadium-site candidate. :)

-G

3. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got that as well.. I'm trying to stay confident.. I really am

4. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the fact that they are confident they can appeal to MLS (not AEG) mean they are thinking of an expansion team if the deal falls through?

Dan

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    The vague nature of these two sentences concerns me. There isn't the usual "belief" behind them.

Crash positions, everyone. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Rumor on the NAS list from someone who has contacts in Ajax USA is that they're looking to invest in an MLS team...

7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree Sparty. I think those two sentences are as far as they can possibly go.

And if it is Ajax, can we have J O'B?

8. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you mean, but John O'Brien doesn't play for Ajax anymore, he was released and signed with ADO Den Haag. As long as we're playing this game, Van der Vaart would have been good, but he's gone to Hamburg.

Tony

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. Forgot that. Then cancel the deal!

10. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Mmm... AEG wants to sell.... CA wants to buy... the City of Huston wants a team...the deal looks good for all parties…

From our part: AEG wants to sell... SSV is working on getting an investor... San Jose or other cities are not excited about having a team and building a stadium... which is not good for any investor or MLS... the deal does not look as good...

Unless SSV can come up with an interesting proposal - SOON- it looks that we are ridding a dead horse...

I still believe... but doubts are starting to appear in the horizon...

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What I read-between-the-lines is that the local deal is not going to be as lucrative as the CA deal. Therefore, SSV must appeal to MLS to approve a lesser deal that will keep the team in SJ (now the 10th largest city in the nation! of course, that depends on where you draw the boundaries so it's kinda bogus, but good for marketing, and it's not as if Detroit has a team, but I digress).

I read the letter as a positive. And I think we've proven that soccer is viable in SJ--it's just the pricing/profit structure that's hurt us.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they have one already (or are close to it).

You'd better remind SJSU and San Jose City Councilpeople Cindy Chavez, Dan Cortese and Chuck Reed about how not excited they are about having a team and building a stadium.

And then there's the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, of course (though that would be handled through the Santa Clara County Supervisors)...

-G

13. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Well, it's clear SSV does have potential investor(s). They just need to get them to pull the trigger on an offer.

What's the hold up? I don't think they are going to learn anything new about the value of the team or the SSS situation in the next two weeks. :confused:

Come on guys, time is of the essence. If you are going to make an offer, make it! (And then make sure "anonymous sources" inform the local press that "an offer by local investors has been made." :) )

14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly the sort of reaction that AEG wanted from fans when they leaked the Club America stories to the Houston press. Public pressure to step up and get the deal done -- because the more pressure on the unknown investors, the weaker their bargaining position, and the more value AEG gets for selling the Quakes.

Imagine if we knew who the investors were, a bunch of well-meaning fans would be contacting them directly and interfering with the negotiation process. SSV definitely made the right move in keeping quiet about the investors.

So, relax. The situation is in hand. Even if it's not in hand, it's out of our control -- either there is a plan in the works to keep the Quakes in San Jose, or there isn't, and if there isn't, nothing we can do at this point will stop the Quakes leaving. We'll know for sure in a few weeks anyways, so why panic?

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Because it's what we do best.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ajax does buy the team, does this mean we have to go back to our 2000-2002 era uniforms?

Also .... if it happens (and it probably won't) be ready for the parade of posters calling us racist if we don't hate ajax.

Ajax Earthquakes .... I could get used to it. Nice compromise. Of course, I'm getting WAY ahead of myself. And goodsport will disagree with that name :))) ....

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone please embed a sound file into this thread to we can listen to Don't Worry, Be Happy whenever we're here.

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ajax! What a dream! Can I just stay in this dream a little while...like forever?!

Except for that name part. But I doubt they'd do that. They aren't CA after all. It was really only CA with their huge ego that wanted to make us some funky name and change the uniform.

Ajax!!!

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wouldn't be so bad, though the 2000-2002 era uniforms were actually inspired by late-1990's era Arsenal. :)

That wasn't an issue (at least for me) even with Club America.

I definitely disagree on the name change suggestion... and that was an issue with Club America even before the rumors of relocation.

Though I doubt that Ajax (if it's them) would feel the need to change the San Jose Earthquakes team name anyway to attract the multitudes of Dutch fans here. ;)

-G

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that all that was said? Or were the Quake mentioned along with that info?

Oh my gosh, peeps! That's exciting, but I don't want to get my hopes up either....

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps we could be the Ajax Earthquakes of San Jose via Amsterdam. that name has a little something for everybody.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, especially for all those Ajax Amsterdam season-ticket holders who'll start attending Quakes games as well. :rolleyes: :D

-G

23. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    How about Dutch heritage nights with $1 Heinekens? Ummmmmm ;)

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much would that cost in guilders? :confused:

-G

25. Bajoro