Latest nikesoccer ad in Eurosport

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by DoctorD, Nov 13, 2003.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest ad "And You Have TROUBLE Finding Soccer on TV" is really amazing. It slams the lack of soccer on TV and criticizes all the "World Series of Poker" and bull riding shows that are on instead. It calls for more detailed results of soccer games than are provided in the ticker tape results display. Then it tells the reader to email network execs, etc. to get more soccer on the air.

Wha't Nike's point (besides the fact all of us would agree)? It is directly aimed at ESPN. After all, couldn't Nike buy 2 hours of time on ESPN2 and sponsor the "Nike game of the week" if they wanted? It is kind of biting the hand that feeds you (granted - a small hand).

Does Nike have evidence that a lot more people watch soccer than the Nielsen's would indicate?

Is this just an oblique ploy to get kids to watch soccer on TV?

Setting up ESPN as the network of old fogies as opposed to the hip kids who buy Nike soccer gear? (ESPN execs must be thrilled to hear that).

Did Nike try to sponsor more soccer on ESPN only to be told no?

It is very intriguing. Certainly catches your attention which is the point.

2. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Where did u see this add??

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think you're reading too much into the ad imho. It seems like good ol' fashioned branding.
    It's not exactly a secret that one of the major concerns of the target audience for the ad are soccer fans who want more soccer on TV. The ad simply positions Nike as a company that understands soccer fans' concerns and is on their side.

And I doubt they're worried about alienating ESPN, considering networks needs advertisers more than advertisers need networks. Of course, it wouldn't suprise me if NikePoker were running an ad in Card Player Monthly saying "Don't ya hate all those commie Euro-trash sports on TV?"

4. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is Nike going to take some of their own medicine? Where's the Nike commercials touting US players, huh? They've got Donovan and McBride signed (not sure who else) but I have yet to see any ad on TV featuring these two. Nike needs to look at themselves, as well.

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    My guess is that it's a matter of budget allocation, and soccer isn't exactly a big fish in Nike's US operations.

Producing a TV commercial is super expensive and they must figure that they'll have more impact running several print ads and using commercials produced in Europe rather than blowing the wad on one TV spot.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it looks like two groups in Nike are duking it out over soccer marketing.

<BTW the ad was in the Eurosport Keepersport catalog. And speaking of Donovan/McBride, adidas ran a big ad with a certain Mohawk-coiffed American>

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Latest nikesoccer ad in Eurosport

Yeah, I saw that. That was pretty cool.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stillkickin, your point about Nike taking their own medicine is exactly why I don't understand this ad. If we're supposed to be as "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore", who are we supposed to be mad at? ESPN or Nike themselves?

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great ad. I love the campaign and look forward to Eurosport each month not just for my "soccer stuff" fix, but for the new ad each issue (wish I'd been saving them).

[Yoda voiceover] Head of nail you just hit. [/Yoda voiceover]

10. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    yeah i read that and thought about a little Nike v. ESPN battle. who knows why they did it.

Anyone who saw the Mathis ad on the inside cover- is he getting he own version of adidas' new shoe, a la backham and ronaldo(with Nike) or is he just one of the guys promoting it? regardless, i was impressed they picked an mls guy.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are those nifty "Nike Soccer" coommercials produced. The ones with the kids hitting the doll tied to the garage or the one with Edgar Davids on the basketball court?

12. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have the Eurosport and just looked at this add. I agree this is an ESPN v. Nike thing, because alot of the shows they put in that list aren't fake, but actually are on ESPN. Also thanks for starting this board because I have a paper due on Tuesday on a magazine advertisment, and this will do perfect.

13. galaxybg

galaxybg BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 28, 2003
    southern ca
    Nike has been pouring more marketing $ into soccer and soccer in the US than any other company recently. You must have missed the hour-long Nike produced shows on Man U's Champion's Tour and the Nike Cup world youth club championships that aired on FSW.

They've spent the money that ESPN should be taking notice of and building/airing content to attract the Nike and other advertisers. The money is there and that's what it's all about for the networks.

The second leg of the Galaxy/SJ game was only on a Spanish network where I live - in Southern CA! Network execs must have overlooked the 25k+ crowds that have attendted every match this year.

I'm backing the swoosh on this one, it's time for TV to give us what we want!!!

14. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Nike people are bunch of bitches. Filler TV on ESPN aren't the enemy of soccer. I'll watch poker, pool, and many other cheaply produced or purchased "sports" TV, these aren't even in the same catergory of "sports TV" as soccer. The producers of ESPN know that although no one watch these "sports" chronically, unlike soccer, many people won't change the channel if it's on.
    The biggest waste of air time on sports channels, imo, is GOLF. And because companies like NIKE know GOLF products can be extremely profitable, they'll make sure it gets a lot of air time. Thus shifting ESPN's buying budget away from soccer.

15. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    same here. They just keep getting funnier and funnier, like the nutmeg one. they are all good