Latest News (11/08/03): Rochester to MLS in 2004?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by pc4th, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Rochester Go!! :D

And people say MLS isn't doing well... *pfft!

2. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    What other MLS team plays in NY State?

3. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're right, technically, though I am looking at Jersey right now through my window and Giants Stadium is closer to me than Shea is.

4. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Getting a chuckle, since I earlier figured it would come to this re MLS expansion. After all the early Garber pomposity about Houston, Philadelphia, and then (of all places) Cleveland, it comes down to common sense. They dangled their carrot and found little more than a nibble here or there. Now, as if to save face in accepting reality, it appears MLS will come down off their throne a step or two and go with a potential winning situation... the closest thing to a sure-thing they can hope for at present... Rochester. Regardless of the immediate outcome, congrats are in order for the Rhino org and their fans. No need to grovel to MLS' doorstep here. Job-well-done, Rochester, just to bring it to this point. As NFL orgs in Phila, Seattle, Houston, and others have given MLS the fickle finger after all the hot-air expansion teasers, time to let the Rhinos in as expediently as possible with Chivas & be done with it. 2004 in Frontier, 2005 in the new building. Potential for big numbers for those first two years. Won't say "I told you so".

5. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people in the past have worried about how deep current Rhinos owner Frank DuRoss' pockets were and if he could play with the bigboys.

Well according to rumors on the RhinosWebboards FDR has been in talks with local billionaire and Buffalo Sabres owner Thomas Gollisano. This is from the Buffalo Sabres boards:

Here's a summary:

My sister in law works for paychex and said all this week Frank DuRoss has been visiting B Tom. apparently Golly is trying to protect his investment and wanted to bring in a more hockey oriented partner. So apparently DuRoss is buying his way in....

DuRoss owns the Boston Bruins AHL affiliate in Providence. While Buffalo fans maybe excited about having more experience on board it maybe that FDR is trying to get Golisano on his MLS wagon.

6. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa