Latest Libby Filings...strategy's clearer, could spell trouble for Fitzboy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Karl K, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, we're just not cheering on the joke you think we are.

Oh yea...ahem...Go Karl! Go!

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I agreed that in most situations, a prosecutor would like to have a motive/reason that the defendant acted the way he did.....here a reason to lie. It can, at times, certainly make the prosecutor's job (ie. convincing the jury a crime was committed) easier.

None of that changes the FACT, however, that motive is not an element of the crime of perjury and therefore the prosecutor does not have to show any motive.

As the trial progresses (assuming it goes to trial), a good prosecutor can gauge whether he/she is losing the jury because they can't show why. At that point.....if it happened in this case.....I could see Fitz arguing as to why he thinks Libby lied but concluding with something along the lines of...."Ladies and gentlemen, the defense has argued that Mr. Libby had no reason to lie and therefore he must not have done so. But we know that simply is not the case. He may have lied because of X or he may have lied because of Y.....in the end, ladies and gentlemen, only Mr. Libby knows. But what we do know.....is that in front of a grand jury, while under oath, Mr. Libby said Z....and knew it to be untrue....and that's the only thing that matters."

Now would such a hypothetical closing sway a jury? Who knows? Juries' decisions are not always easy to predict.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Look, yossa. he's admitted that you're a good lawyer.

BUT... he's seen enough episodes of Law und Order, CSI and Magnum PI to know what he's talking about.

BushCo says that there was no motive; therefore, there is no crime.

Duh!! :D

I think we should take the word of Karl K over some 'activist lawyer'. ;)

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the side that loses on a motion....especially a potentially dispositive one such as this is always going to "go as far on appeal as they can take it."

As far as how the particular Justices you mention would react to this case......you seem to be insinuating that they would not look favorably on Judge Walton's opinion. If I've misinterpreted your "Hmmm" all apologies. In any case, I'm not so sure how they'd react to Judge Walton's opinion. Roberts worked in the Attorney General's office and in the Solicitor's office before going into private practice so Fitz's role would not be completely foreign to him. Alito served as a U.S. Attorney and therefore knows full well what the job entails.

Does any of that mean they're more likely to affirm Walton's opinion? Maybe not. But they both certainly are aware of the powers and limitations a USAtty faces and wouldn't need much in the way of explanation as to what sort of oversight Fitz was subject to.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bye Bye Rove?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100879.html

6. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    It's hard to imagine that any of you have the audacity to post after Karl eviscerated you with his use of the brilliant and cutting "Fitzboy".

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or his masterful use of the word "could".

8. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Just wait until he unleashes his Schock & Awe barrage of Shmitzgerald/ Fitzshmerald.

Oh, the humanity.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when Karl tries to squirm away after he gets called out for beging wrong, wrong and more wrong.

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    you guys, Karl K, instead of waiting for a Law and Order or CSI that deals specifically w/ this issue, is writing an episode for "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" in which the poor, downtrodden and beaten billionaire's aide gets brutally attacked b/c he "inadvertently" let out a national secret. Due to the heroic efforts of the District Attorney who serves the public rather than his/her agenda, the evil CIA ppl get slammed for having the audacity to challenge BushCo in the name of "protecting the nation".

This nation will be quite impressed, it'll be the highest rated show EVER and this will show... once again... just how out of touch w/ reality that the liberal media is. :D

11. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Not sure if this is new but David Shuster on MSNBC is reporting Plame was working on Nuclear Proliferation in Iran: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/05/01.html#a8126

Sorry for the caps.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap.

Normally, at this point, I write "interesting if true."

But I'm gonna go with very, very, very interesting if true.

13. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Holy crap, Karl was right. Plame's status is going to be a key element of the trial. It won't simply be about perjury.

Stolen from AmericaBlog, according to the Washington Post - the official mouthpiece of the Bush Administration:

The classified status of the identity of former CIA officer Valerie Plame will be a key element in any trial of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff, according to special counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald has said that at trial he plans to show that Libby knew Plame's employment at the CIA was classified and that he lied to the grand jury when he said he had learned from NBC News's Tim Russert that Plame, the wife of former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, worked for the agency.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/21/AR2006052101024.html

14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Latest Fitz Filing...strategy's clearer, could spell trouble for Scooter

VP Cheney - witness for the prosecution?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/24/AR2006052402597.html

From Special Counsel's filing yesterday:
    "The fact that comments regarding Wilson’s wife were included among the Vice President’s annotations also supports the proposition that defendant’s conversation with the Vice President regarding Mr. Wilson’s wife more likely than not occurred shortly after the publication of the Wilson Op Ed, rather than later, as defendant claimed. Evidence placing defendant’s conversation with the Vice President shortly after the publication of the Wilson Op Ed also corroborates the accounts of a number of government witnesses who will testify that defendant discussed Mr. Wilson’s wife on or before July 8, 2003. Thus, the annotated Wilson Op Ed is highly, and uniquely, relevant to a determination regarding the truthfulness of defendant’s testimony that he did not recall information regarding Mr. Wilson’s wife’s employment prior to his conversation with Tim Russert on July 11, 2003."

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Somewhere, someone got pissed where Wilson published his op-Ed piece and ordered a swiftboat on him. Chances are we'll never know who this was and chances are we'll definitely never know who made the Joe Wilson's-wife-is-CIA connection.

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000748.php

National Journal's Murray Waas reports that Karl Rove was in fact columnist Robert Novak's source for learning Valerie Plame's identity, and that the two men, upon learning of a federal investigation, spoke and may have created a false cover story to hide the truth.
    [​IMG]
    In other words, there's mounting evidence that Novak and Rove not only lied to the FBI and grand jury, but they conspired to obstruct justice.

17. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

You know if you don't pick at a pimple, they usually go away

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    niiiiiiiiiiice

looks like the douchebag of liberty may actually get his after all

19. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    A wise message only slightly undercut by the fact that you're responding to a month-old post.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Should we start collecting info on possible midgets and whores for our party? I make a wicked sangria and I might be able to dip into my rum collection for this baby. ;)

Not that I'm counting my chickens or anything. I just wants me some midgets and whores. :D

21. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm sorry, for some reason I can't focus on what you're trying to say....

22. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah, young butterfly... You need to develop your 'ho-dar (kinda like gay-dar/radar, 'cept for the 'ho's).

*special thanks to Carlos Mencia. :D

23. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    and avatar.

24. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Latest court rulings... could spell trouble for Scooter

A former White House aide facing perjury charges will get only a prosecutor's summary of classified documents assessing the damage to national security from the leak of a CIA officer's identity, a federal judge ruled Friday.
    U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton also said lawyers for I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby must settle for a prosecutor's version of information contained in secret government documents that describe CIA officer Valerie Plame's employment history.
    Walton repeated his desire to prevent Libby's defense team from turning the trial into a debate on the legitimacy of the war in Iraq or the accuracy of Wilson's statements in the op-ed piece in The Times.
    The judge said what matters is whether Libby lied to a grand jury and the FBI about what he told three reporters - Judith Miller of The Times; Matthew Cooper of Time magazine; and Tim Russert of NBC - about Plame.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060603/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cia_leak_3

Looks like Libby’s strategy isn’t so compelling after all.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Latest court rulings... could spell trouble for Scooter

Awww......

I'm so surprised that Karl was wrong on this one.

Again.