Latest injuries

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by kopiteinkc, Sep 14, 2003.

1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With both Carragher and Baros out for six months who do we use to cover them or other players if more injuries occur.

Obviously Riise and Heskey can step in immediately. With another injury up front we are going to be scraping the barrel.

Certainly Kewell can play up front, but who else provides cover there?

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Being the eternal optimist that I am, I believe Baros may be back as early as January.

But in the meantime, along with Kewell, Smicer and Diouf can play behind/alongside Owen.

If they do push one or more of the midfielders forward, I'd be curious to see if Partridge gets an opportunity with the first team. If Richie can't get a sniff under these circumstances, I have to wonder if he'll ever play first team for Liverpool.

Now, what is the policy on recalling loaned players (Mellor, Babbel)?

3. Hadn't seen this new thread; so I'll electronically transfer my two cents over here from the Blackburn thread:

For next week, my wild-astoria guess is that Riise will play left back and Heskey will return to a starting role as striker. The midfield will be unchanged. Losing Baros and Carra are real shocks to the side, and these replacements are the most experienced of the remaining squad. I'm not crazy about Riise's form as of late, but I think our options are limited. Heskey I can live with.

As for cover at striker, I would suspect that any of the three attacking midfielders--Diouf, Kewell, or Smicer--would fit in OK. Which of the three I'd select, I haven't decided yet. If Owen or Heskey went down or played poorly, you'd move one of those three up top, and bring in Murphy. Again, this might not be ideal; but we don't have much depth to work with at the moment.

----

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the article posted below:

"Houllier has other options up front but the Frenchman has no recall on the German's season-long loan at Ewood Park and, given Carragher's lengthy absence, might regret as much. For all the splendour of his side's display, the reality of ranks depleted will leave him fretting today."

So... No Marcus.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Well, there you go. It would be nice to have an extra body in defense, but I wonder if it may have been awkward to have him back right after such a contentious match and especially after he was involved in, if not contributed to, Baros' injury.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, from what I heard on Sky this morning, Babbel was broken up about the injury and went to visit Baros in the hospital already. It doesn't sound like he was one of the guys acting like a dickhead during and after the match.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  9. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houllier tells Souness to p*** off

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1043312,00.html

"Maybe I have not played at the highest level but I have managed at the top longer than Graeme Souness.

"I can tell you it is not often that you go to a game where two players have broken legs in the first 15 minutes."

10. And Souness hits back:

http://www.ananova.com/sport/story/sm_820341.html

Might be some injuries again in the rematch at Anfield--but not on the pitch! :)

----

11. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    Kirkland
    Carragher
    Babbel (loan)
    Henchoz (match-fit?)
    Vignal (loan)
    Murphy
    Diarra (loan)
    Diao (to be suspended)
    Hamman
    Cheyrou
    Baros
    Mellor (loan)

That's 12 players unavailable to GH.

Hopefully Otsemobor (young upcoming right back) will be given some more match experience when we need to rest Finnan.

Le Tallec and Pongolle may get some match time in the coming UEFA and Lge Cup games too.