Latest from Rochester

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by retnicf, Oct 29, 2002.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    MLS teams are not clubs? Says who?

2. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be great to add Rochester. As Rob Stone said it would be the biggest attraction in rochester. if the mls ever grows to be a major sport then rochester would be like the packers of the mls. a rabid fan base, where the game is sold out every game.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Major League Soccer was a major sport? I thought the Rhinos do sell out?

4. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now I believe their baseball stadium seats 14,000, they average 12,500 during the season, which is pretty impressive compared to other A-League franchises. They've already said that they could average 17,500 if they played in MLS, which is why the stadium would be designed to sit 17,500. Whether that figure would be true, remains to be seen. It seems that there are people from Buffalo and Syracuse who would be willing to buy season tickets if the Rhinos did indeed join MLS. We'll just have to wait and see how all of this plays out. They way I see it (as I've said before), Rhinos are basically a lock for 2005 if their stadium is built by then.

5. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I drove through Oak Street during lunch today. Workmen were installing the "Road Closed" signs. You can see backhoes lined up on Broad Street working on that project, too. It looks like work is about to commence.

6. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I paid the balance on my season tickets the other day and ran into Frank DuRoss. He said that a security fence should be in place by the end of the week.

Broad Street is quite torn up--it's evident that the infrastructure improvements are now underway.

Looks like its going to be turf...http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/rhinos/0415GP3U7J3_sports.shtml

Given the multi-use nature of the stadium and our short growing season it is probably the best business decision given the circumstances.

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RTFA.

"The key issue — this is crucial for area fans who hope PAETEC attracts games involving the United States national teams and top international clubs — is that the surface the Rhinos choose will be FIFA-approved. The Rhinos and fans also don’t want a surface that jeopardizes a jump to Major League Soccer."

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't field turf aproved by FIFA? It is by UEFA so I would assume FIFA does too. Not positive.

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    permanent lacrosse lines?

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah if you read the context around that, they are using the lame argument that it's FIFA approved so MLS OF COURSE would approve it. They never say what MLS prefers.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what MLS prefers. But I think MLS, which hasn't had a hard and fast rule since.....well, since ever that I know of...is likely to make allowances if they are truly interested in Rochester as an expansion market.

I doubt grasstroturf will put the kibosh on the deal if MLS really wants the positives that Rochester brings to the table. Of course, until the little rubber particles between the blades meet the road, you never know for sure how sincere MLS' interest is.

13. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Just because its FIFA approved doesn't mean people want to use it. When was the last time the National team played on artificle grass? And with so many new stadia with grass and appropriate sized fields, why would they ever want to again? If the stadium is to be a multi-purpose facility that will be used for lacrosse, high school football, rock concerts, tractor pulls, etc., then go with the fake stuff. I'll be the first to wish you continued success in the A-League. But if Rochester wants to be a player not just in MLS, but for national team games, world cup qualifiers, international exhibitions, etc. the field needs to be grass. Especially now with with so many other SSS in the works.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's that big a deal (and let's not kid ourselves here - there are a finite number of US Men's National Team games to go around, and Rochester is going to be in the queue along with --- and probably behind --- a lot of folks who want one), they can bring in grass on trays. Didn't they do that in Houston last year and in Portland in 1998?

Do you think PaeTec Park is going to become RFK or Gillette overnight and get two or three Nats games a year? You have to think about its primary usage, and what's best economically for the people who are footing the bill, and deal with the nice little problems of US National Team games when you have to deal with it.

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the future a lot more professional sports fields are going to be made with Field Turf. It is not like the artificial turf of the old days. It performs more like grass. The initial cost is high, but it will last for years without watering and there is no replacement and maintainence like real grass. There are some teams in Belgium or some northern European teams playing on it full time. Another nice thing is that weather doesn't kill it.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The regular field at Reliant Stadium is grass. However, it is in the form of the grass trays similar to those used at the Meadowlands. During the NFL offseason, the grass trays are removed, leaving a concrete floor for things like conventions and the annual RodeoHouston in March.

However, for some reason, the Texans decided not to install the grass trays for the USA-Mexico game last year and instead put in a temporary grass field.
    Well, I understand the rationales, but it just amuses me we're seeing this in "Soccertown USA."

17. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    It performs just like Southlake and Giants Stadium(bouncy ball).

Over the years I've seen at least 4 or 5 games played at Frontier Field on FSW. While that may not be the best vantage point to inspect the quality if the field, I have always been impressed with how nice the field looks, considering that it is constantly switched back and forth to baseball. Are they spending millions for the upkeep of this field? Will lacrosse and marching band competitions tear the field up worse than this? Is there a major difference in climate four blocks away that will allow grass to grow at Frontier Field, but not Paetec?

I understand that artificial turf will be cheaper and easier to maintain than grass. I also understand that minor league sports must make tough decisions to make ends meet. It's clear that DuRoss just wants to have a smaller staff to pay each year, but it just bothers me that a soccer stadium in a soccer market is being built by soccer people, and it still won't be quite right.

Bouncy Ball-I'd rather have football lines.

18. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    All I can say is 7359.

19. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    The Rochester Rattlers (MLL team) have already been booted from Frontier Field--they now play at a local high school until new soccercentric stadium is completed. Lacrosse is VERY hard on turf. They goals in lacrosse are laid out near the top of the soccer penalty boxes ruining probably the most critical portion of the playing field. There's terrible wear and tear around these areas and at midfield.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, the trays weren't ready yet (I seem to remmber reading that, anyway).

Artificial turf sucks. It used to suck a lot more than it does now, but it still sucks.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two thoughts:

1. What were you saying in 2002?

2. Obviously, Dallas soccer fans are more discriminating that the ones in "Soccertown USA."

22. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me and my Fieldturf-induced torn left ACL (yes, I know it could have happened on any surface, but still....) tend to agree on that.

23. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll see your ACL and raise you an Astro-Turf induced total knee replacement. :mad:

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to make sure I have the official nicknames correct.

Is Rochester "Soccertown USA" and Portland is or was "Soccer City?"

Where's "Soccer Village?" "Soccer Township?" "Soccerville?" "Ciudad de futbol?" "Soccerburg?"

How do you get these names? Is it like Hot Springs, New Mexico, which became.....anyone? Anyone?

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2002 I was saying Dallas sucks. In 2003 I'm saying Dallas sucks. In 2004 I'm saying Dallas sucks. You couldn't draw for your opening day and I bet a MLS franchise in Rochester will outdraw Dallas. Get used to it.