Lateef Omidiji at Go Ahead Eagles (The Netherlands)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 20, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone explain to me how a 13 yo can sign any sort of contract?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. What contract?

3. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A Youth Contract?

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Nigerian news media won't let us forget about his African roots:

http://www.dailysportsng.com/news/d...y-Lateef-Omidiji-Jnr.&scid=Euro-Soccer-Update

“He will be playing with Feyenoord’s U15 Academy next season. Had offers from the other top clubs but chose Feyenoord to develop as a player,”' his elated father Omidiji Jnr. told Goal.

“The future of Nigerian football is definitely bright- with an eye on the U17 World Cup in 2019. He is fast [nicknamed speedy], strong and has an eye for goals.

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Humble parent lol

And just to clarify, there's more quotes in the article from the father.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like his brother Rasheed is now with FC Den Bosch:
    856146244867166209 is not a valid tweet id

ChuckMe92, Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. So...you probably expect from me, now he's with Feyenoord, to report live about everything he does on the pitch24/7.... I think

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/us-target-omidiji-signs-with-feyenoord_aid41766

The 13-year-old attacker, who’s played all along the front line in his short career but specializes as a high-flying winger, was born in Las Vegas, Nev. and was called into a U.S. U14 BNT camp as recently as November. But he’s also been tied heavily to Nigeria, the country of his father’s birth. As for his nationality concerns, Omidiji told TopDrawerSoccer.com that both are still in play but that “everyone at Feyenoord knows I’m leaning toward the USA.”

For now, Omidiji becomes the first ever American-born player to sign a deal with the Feyenoord academy.

ChuckMe92, TxEx, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's an '03, so theoretically if he's very good, he could play for the U-17's in the cycle that begins in late November. Konrad was a highly rated odd year player playing in Europe though, and he's not yet been called into the current U-17's, so there's no guarantee, but its a possibility. This kid isn't that far off the radar, believe it or not. If he's as good as all this hype might indicate, we probably should know within the next few years.

Also, it does seem like his father would seem to prefer him to play for Nigeria, and he might prefer to play for the USA.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. Ummm, he signed nothing. He just joined us, the amateurs. Contracts only can be signed from the age of 18, in certain circumstances 16.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We often use "signed" when we really mean "registered." Some countries use amateur agreements, so it's just semantics.

SUDano and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. http://www.soccerassembly.com/exclusive-choose-feyenoord-lateef-omidiji-jr/

[​IMG]
    Lateef Omidiji Jr with Feyenoord dutch star Elijero Elia

Exclusive – Why I Choose Feyenoord: Lateef Omidiji Jr
    Posted By: soccerasson: April 24, 2017In: Rising StarsNo Comments
    Email
    We’ve all known Lateef is destined to be a star in the game

What we couldn’t precisely tell was his path to greatness

Now for one of the most exhilarating 13 year olds in the sport, the picture gets a bit clearer as he pens a deal with Dutch giants Feyenoord FC

“I’m really happy and excited” the humble yet unconventionally brilliant Lateef tells Soccer Assembly in an exclusive interview

Conversing with him you’d be forgiven for forgetting you were speaking to a 13 year old as the words that spew from him belie his tender years

“Feel blessed to have an opportunity to train at one of the best academies in Europe: Great coaches, great atmosphere, rich history” Lateef tells us at Soccer Assembly about his choice of Feyenoord

“A club that developed the likes of Robin Van Piersie & Dirk Kuyt for those who don’t know Feyenoord”

“The coaching staff is tops of the crops, 8 boys on the team are on the Dutch U14s- what more can I ask for?”

When prompted if that was his only reason Lateef adds with a mischievous smile “plus Rotterdams a beautiful city”

The noise about Lateef is no mere hype, he is a genuine talent and Feyenoords huge Fan base are already all excited about his capture as judged from various media reports back in Holland.

His capture is seen somewhat of a coup as it was public knowledge that a host of English clubs including Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal would have liked to sign the budding talent but Lateef is not carried away by all the noise and knows the task ahead of him

“Now the work begins…I know I have a long way to go but I’m prepared to put in the work” The young man says

Lateef has already started working towards his goals and has already begun training with the Feyenoord U15 team in preparations for an upcoming youth tournament

“I’ve already played friendlies with them (Feyenoord) and have a big tournament with them next month”

“I’m looking forward to the tournament next month and games with them next season”

And from here we will be following with keen attention as although Lateef is currently with the US U14 national team his love for his fatherland has never been in question!

Like he said recently . . . . . “i love the color”!

13. Okay, rumours are starting to run wild:
    http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22827
    Netherlands Pushing To Secure International Future Of Chelsea, Arsenal Linked Nigerian Wonderkid
    Published: April 24, 2017
    [​IMG]
    The Royal Dutch Football Association are pushing to secure the international future of new Feyenoord signing Lateef Omidiji Jr.

The American-born 13-year-old initially pledged his allegiance to Nigeria but could not reject an opportunity to train with the United States U14s last November.

Omidiji becomes eligible for Dutch citizenship in the next one year or so, and the KNVB have started to lay the groundwork to cap him once he is issued a passport.

“Nigeria has Ekong and Balogun, has Iwobi, now they are about to get Ola Aina and Bazee. The NFF should put something together for the U15s,” a Feyenoord insider told allnigeriasoccer.com.

He added : “There is nobody in Europe that isn’t aware of Omidiji’s capabilities and in all likelihood could be capped at U17s with the Dutch.

“He’s part of the USA youth setup now and he’s happy. Why would he want to switch allegiance and play for Nigeria when he gets older if they don’t show interest now?”

Lateef Omidiji has been linked with possible moves to Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG when he attains the age of majority.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

BostonRed repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't figured it out yet, the African soccer press is wildly speculative and plays loose with the facts.

15. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    idk about you guys but this kid seems all USA right now.

857377117721567232 is not a valid tweet id

856995117910982656 is not a valid tweet id

now don't everyone go and stalk his twitter account though ;)

16. What's a twitter account:unsure:

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Obviously, as

"The Royal Dutch Football Association are pushing to secure the international future of new Feyenoord signing Lateef Omidiji Jr"

is something we donot do and certainly not for a 15 year old kid as that is impossibe afaik.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    870298068960387073 is not a valid tweet id

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nigerian Football Federation official Twitter account giving shoutouts to a 13-year-old:

871374551099342848 is not a valid tweet id

20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]

21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    The Nigerian Federation is nothing, if not persistent.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011