Last Movie Watched.... The Xenforo Edition

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Val1, May 4, 2012.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There is a reading of her behavior going around that interprets it as her being on the spectrum. I'm not sure if that was even fully the writers' intention, but it's certainly an interpretation that is valid. I think it's clearer in some scenes than others. I have read people actually on the spectrum describe her behavior at the popular girls' sleepover she is asked to after her chess playing earns her some respect at the high school as being very recognizable to them. Both how she acts and how she ultimately leaves.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I still have 2 episodes to go and as a proper chess nerd I love this show (I played in lots of tournaments and the nationals before I quit in my last year at school)

It reminds me of how chess was in the pre-engine / online era. Especially all the studying from books and it was certainly a thing of humiliating adult players as a kid.

i tend to agree that the overall chess plot arc is the star of the show - i was getting a bit bored in episode 5 which felt like a bottle episode. Especially her first coach and the Doogie Howser style US chess champion are kind of annoying.

There is a very good interview in Sway Podcast with Marielle Heller who plays Alma - she is best known as an acclaimed director.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marielle_Heller

yasik19 repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I found that school stuff to be highly unrealistic. Winning stuff in Chess marked you out as a nerd who got no respect at all. Like the Doogie Howser character is much more how real chess people were

It's all changed now of course where you have cool people & hot chicks racking up the clicks and the $$ as chess becomes a proper esport

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I thought the best episodes were the Marielle Heller ones and after she disappears out of the story, it loses something significant, certainly in the quotidian scenes outside of the chess tournaments.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have actually been thinking a lot about "The Untouchables" in the last year.

To many De Palma purists, it's a second tier film. But so much casual greatness in the filmmaking craft is in there. Who is working today with a same mastery of the medium?

Take just this one scene:

(Do not watch if you have never seen the film and plan to do so because mega spoilers).

Show Spoiler

Funnily enough it's also a scene that reveals how the De Palma critics who accuse him of having wholly stolen Dario Argento's visual style are perhaps not entirely without merit.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed on what i have seen

She kind of captures the sadness of all it. Chess is very obsessive

7. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I loved the visuals in the film, especially how it feels dark, even in daylight. There's also a scene, and it's just so simple, where they're all walking across the street going to a raid, and the visuals feel like the 1920s. It doesn't feel like most other period pictures. Everything about the film is old school filmmaking, and that's what makes it great.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Untouchables also has a soundtrack which I know and love. From the Fall of 1983 through the Spring of 1988 I had a job I really loved at the Edwards South Coast Plaza Theater. What a cool place! We had a massive screen to accommodate 70mm projections, and you entered the theater up one of two ramps out of the lobby into the middle of the house, which sat 700 people. It was one of the premiere movie houses in Orange County, though it is now long gone, shuttered and ultimately demolished in an era of cookie-cutter and small, narrow theaters. Besides the scope and scale of the place, two things made it worth the odd hours and terrible pay: an amazing cohort of folks from all walks of life - people I still hold dear - and that odd ramp-access design, which let sound spill out but not in.

It's that sound spilling out that gives me the love of Ennio Morricone's score to Untouchables. The lack of doors and the booming sound meant we could hear whatever movie was playing out in the lobby. And as you screened a movie for a couple of weeks - particularly a film which drew good crowds - you figured out what parts of a score presaged moments where the audience really reacted well. And in a 700 seat theater (pre-cell phones at least), folks were engaged and reacted collectively in fantastic fashion. I would always pop in for audible gasp moments, sudden bursts of laughter, and the like. Several notable soundtracks are still embedded in my soul, which clued me in about when to dash back up the ramp and watch/listen to the audience react. With Untouchables the music clued me in a good half dozen times.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Honest Thief (2020)
    Dir. Mark Williams

[​IMG]

Tom Dolan is a former marine turned career criminal who has specialized in robbing smaller banks. Over a twelve year period, he has managed to steal 9 million in cash that way. During a chance encounter with Annie, a woman he rents a storage space from, he falls in love. A year later, he has given up his criminal ways and intends to give himself up to the F.B.I. in the hope of getting a deal that will earn him a reduced sentence and a chance of a life with Annie afterwards. The Feds do not believe him at first, but when they do send a couple of agents to investigate, the pair of them see it as a golden opportunity: if they just get rid of Tom, they can keep the money for themselves. Obviously things don't go exactly according to plan...

Another entry in the Old Man Neeson Action genre (I'm a fan). This one falls somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of quality. I actually primarily liked the supporting cast (Kate Walsh, Jeffrey Donavan and Robert Patrick especially). We have seen Liam Neeson play this same type of character so many times now that it's pretty much what you'd expect.

spejic repped this.
  10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Agree 100% on the soundtrack. Whenever I think of that movie, I can hear the music in my head, that dun-dun dun-dun dud-uh-dun which is just fantastic.

That theatre sounds awesome, too. I worked in a soulless cineplex for three years as a protectionist, and one of my favorite parts was that they had 4 houses at the front that were the biggest, and they had entrances at the top of the theatre, as well as down the bottom, so we used to pop in and watch scenes and things like that, but when there was a big crowd, and the movie was good, they would file out of the top and talk about what they just saw, and that was pretty cool. It was also fun when we would show midnight movies, and you had a good comedy or horror flick, the crowd was young and energetic (and sometimes hammered), and those crowds were fun. Even with my current career, being a protectionist was the best job I ever had, even if it paid $10.50 an hour.

Val1 and Ismitje repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes! I will always remember seeing clockwork orange this way - the entire audience was wasted - it was like a group experience.

Rocky Horror was like that as well but I was too young to go

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Awesome account!

I remember the mass audience reaction from the 80s, and horror films in particular - e.g Jaws 3D - the way the audience would physically react to the scares

13. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    My dad said the only movie he saw that scared the hell out of him was Jaws. It seems fairly tame by today's standards, but he explained that, at the time, it made people think about going into the water, and the scares were genuine.

14. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^My dad said the only movie he saw that scared the hell out of him was Jaws.
    ---
    I get the sentiment, but as soon as we see the mechanical shark, it's just another suspense flick. Prior to the reveal, it's pretty scary.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Story goes that Verna Fields had to talk Spielberg into showing less of the shark.
    Supposedly Bruce had cost a lot of money and he wanted to showcase it.

Also in the scenes where he does appear, they had actually frame-by-frame discussions about how long each glimpse should be (since after a certain amount of time it always became clear one was watching a mechanical film prop instead of a real bloodthirsty great white).

Of course, that all more or less goes out the window for much of the climax.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    When I was around12, a kid brought a horror magazine to school which had images from scary horror movies - this was in the early 1980s

That scared the crap out of me so much that I could not even sleep for days

It was a different world back then.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think it is also the usual thing that the big bad is always scarier before you see it.

18. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A buddy of mine at work saw Alien with his wife at an afternoon matinee. He didn't get any sleep that night.

They're out there.

Dr. Wankler and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Having seen it all now, I think the last 2 episodes were very conventional

This would have worked better as a 4 episode thing IMO

20. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    My grandmother had a bookshelf with Stephen King and other horror writers in her bedroom. For being a little old lady, she loved horror books and movies. When I would stay at her house, it used to freak me out to no end because just seeing the covers was scary. She also used to keep a sharpened butcher knife between her mattress and box spring because she lived alone, and if anyone were to break in, she was going to take a piece of someone.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes! Books were scary back then!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Pay cable fare strikes again!

Carrie (1976) - A awkward teenage girl with an extremely religious single mother discovers she has telekinetic powers.

Carrie is played by Sissy Spacek and her mother is played by Piper Laurie, and both are outstanding. Carrie is a very shy girl whose extremely religious attempts to hide the world from her using religion. After Carrie gets her period for the first time, she is taunted by several of her classmates. After her classmates are punished, they promise retribution against Carrie, and devise a plan to humiliate her at the senior prom - if they can convince Carrie to go. When Carrie's mother finds out about her period, she calls her daughter a sinner and forces her to pray for forgiveness.

Carrie begins to notice changes within her mind, as well as her body. Her anxiety causes things to move and break at will. Concerned, she begins doing research and she finds that she has the power to move objects with her mind. When she gets invited to the prom, her mother refuses her to be able to go, but Carrie uses her powers to subdue her mother, and begin to grow.

On the night of the prom, Carrie's mother pleads with her daughter not to go believing that no good will come of it. Carrie forces her mother down, and goes. What happens to Carrie at the prom is something that changes both of their lives forever.

I read this book a couple of years ago, and I really enjoyed it, but the book is different from the movie in some aspects, and seeing the movie made me appreciate the book more. I like the movie, but I found myself trying to compare it to the book so much that I think I was actually doing myself a disservice. This was a great character study, and a pretty good movie, and the performances by Spacek and Laurie are really great, especially Laurie as the god-fearing mother of Carrie.

spejic and NORML repped this.
  23. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't sleep on Super Troopers 2 then

edit sorry: nsfw, swearing

24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #7974 Val1, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Wow. I respect your guys' opinons on the movies and all, but Mom was just another plot device to me. Just a way to get Beth out of the orphanage, and then too broken to be any kind of parent so the girl just gets to run free. I didn't miss her at all.

25. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not safe for work? Huh? We're all working at home.

Now, if it ain't safe for the wife, that you gotta disclose.

Dr. Wankler and NORML repped this.