Last Movie Watched.... The Xenforo Edition

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Val1, May 4, 2012.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm talking about a pretty woman, not a hunk of meat.

chad repped this.
  2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought that Julia Roberts was overrated.

And I don't get your retort.

3. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a mistranslation. A simple misunderstanding of the thrust of the word. Jesus isn't saying that we should not look at someone's outward behavior and say that it doesn't match up with God's standard. How would a friend be able to challenge us to repent and amend our actions if there were not room for saying: "You know that's wrong"?

As far as using the term "weasel" is concerned, I think it's a well-accepted label for someone who lies and cheats. "I did not have sex with that woman" pretty much falls into the category of lying, The cheating needs no further comment.

4. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I supported the Clinton impeachment in my conservative days.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blondes are very, very, very boring.

I'll take Mayim Bialik any day.

mayim bialik.jpg

6. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sez the Arsenal supporter. ;)
    Now this foto is more appealing to me

[​IMG]

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Crow (1994)-Back to movies! Fairly unremarkable film, made memorable by Brandon Lee's performance in his final film role. For those who don't know, Lee was fatally wounded during filming.

spejic repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018)-Pretty good flick about a woman who visits her boyfriend's ultra-rich family.

spejic and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Easy Rider (1969)-Classic countercultural film. Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper are good in their roles.

spejic repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One of my students last semester watched that movie. Could not believe the ending.

Speaking of Ginger Rogers... we watched Chicago the other night, then watched it with the writer's and director's commentary the next night. We were surprised to find out that there is a non-musical version of the story from 1942 or so, with Ginger Rogers as Roxy Hart.

spejic and riverplate repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Aeronauts (2019)
    Dir. Tom Harper

[​IMG]

James Glaisher is an early meteorologist who dreams of exploring great altitude in a hot air balloon, to conduct scientific experiments that he hopes will allow him to eventually devise systems of predicting the weather. To that end, he needs a hot air balloon pilot and he thinks he has found one in the shape of Amelia Wren, a woman who has a vast experience in the matter from having been the partner of her late husband a famous Aeronaut. Only on their last flight together, he died and Amelia has not been up in the air since. Glaisher successfully convinces her to become his pilot and the trip turns out to become the catalyst for soul-searching as both of them look back at the events that brought them to this moment as the balloon ascends to ever greater heights.

This wasn't bad. I especially liked Felicity Jones in this, who is quite good at playing a stubborn type of courage. The scenes during the historic ascent are all great, whilst I thought that the flashbacks that intercut the balloon ride were mostly less interesting. A braver version of this film would have been a real-time account of the endeavor without ever leaving the balloon. Features a few anachronisms (the real-life Glaisher had a male partner for his record-breaking ascent and I am dubious about the nature of the parachutes as shown in the film as well).

spejic repped this.
  12. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Deepwater Horizon (2016)-Good true life disaster movie. Mark Wahlberg and Kurt Russell are good in their roles.

spejic repped this.
  13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The 20th Century Fox film from 1942 came out on DVD back in 2004 and seriously needs to be re-issued. Adolphe Menjou is a scream as Roxie's lawyer Billy Flynn. The rest of the cast is quite interesting: George Montgomery, Phil Silvers, Nigel Bruce (Dr. Watson in the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies), Spring Byington and William Frawley (I Love Lucy and My Three Sons). It was directed by William Wellman.

There is a 1927 silent film version under the title Chicago which was produced by Cecil B. deMille, but it's rarely shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an excellent read on the city of Chicago of that era, the actual courtroom case, the 1926 Broadway play based on it, the film versions, the creation of the 1975 musical (which got clobbered at the Tony Awards that season by A Chorus Line, much to Bob Fosse's chagrin), its 1996 revival -- still running over 23 years later! -- and the 2002 Best Picture Oscar-winning movie.

[​IMG]

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Night holds Terror (1955)
    Dir. Andrew L. Stone

[​IMG]

Gene Courtier is on his way back home from picking up some electronics equipment when he picks up a hitchhiker. The hiker in question turns out to be a member of a group of three criminals who regularly hold up travelers in a similar manner. Believing he will die, Gene instead promises a bigger payday than the small amount of cash he has on him by agreeing to help the men sell his car and giving them the money in exchange for his life. This escalates into a situation where Gene, his wife and his two small children are held hostage by the three men, the ring leader and his second with clear intentions of harming the family should they not cooperate. The youngest member of the gang has little desire to commit murder, but lacks the courage to stand up to his associates.

A decently entertaining suspense thriller that is most noteworthy for the presence of a young John Cassavetes as the leader of the criminal trio. I do feel like Ida Lupino already made a superior version of this story two years earlier with her groundbreaking "The Hitch-hiker".

spejic repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Extraction (2020)
    Dir. Sam Hargrave

[​IMG]

Tyler Rake (how was this name not used in a classic 1980s or 1990s Beat-em-up arcade game? :D) is a borderline alcoholic black ops merc who takes on the job of retrieving the son of an Indian drug dealer who has been kidnapped by a Bangladeshi rival. After successfully extracting the kid from his captors, things go awry when Tyler and the boy try to get to safety, meaning that Tyler ends up on the run from the boy's captors, dirty cops and and a former special forces associate of the boy's father.

On the one hand, this is a mediocre, cliché action thriller (that even manages to use the same yellow-orangey color grade that has become a cliché for this type of quasi-military thrillers set anywhere in the Middle East, Africa or Asia) with laughably incompetent bad guys who are essentially just cannon fodder to Black Ops Thor (and who make Stormtroopers look like bona fide sharpshooters).

On the other hand, this is just silly enough to be enjoyable. Hemsworth using his Aussie accent in a film! Seeing him use a bad guy's leg to break another bad guy's neck with! David Harbour coming along to do David Harbour-y shit! Golshifteh Farahani might be the most unlikely yet effective action movie actor since Emily Blunt revealed this side of her craft in "Edge of Tomorrow".

Having said all that, there seems to be a built-in limit for these Netflix original action vehicles. The only one I would deem a truly great action flick is "The Night Comes for Us". Probably not coincidentally also a non-Western production.

spejic repped this.
  16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Fast Color (2018)
    Dir. Julia Hart

[​IMG]

Ruth is a young woman with abilities who is afraid of her own powers. Especially whenever she goes through a seizure, she is a danger to her surroundings, since these are powerful enough to cause earthquakes with her as the epicenter. Pursued by a group of government scientists who want to apprehend and study her, she has no choice but to head home to her mother and daughter, the latter having been raised by her grandma in Ruth's absence. Ruth hopes that her mother Bo will be able to help her control her powers, as both Bo and Ruth's daughter Lila possess similar abilities to Ruth, though they both have more control over them than she does.

This was far from perfect but still enjoyable. I think the core ideas (essentially treating superpowered individuals as far away from superhero tropes as possible) are more interesting than the screenplay does with them, but the movie is elevated with ease by a quartet of fine performers: Gugu Mbatha-Raw (a ridiculously underrated actress in general), Lorraine Toussaint (fantastic as the family matriarch), Saniyya Sidney (very good as the youngest member of the family) and the always reliably excellent David Straithairn.

spejic repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revisited Double Indemnity after about 25 years, and since it is a whopping 75 years old now (and still a terrific watch), I have it on my planner for 2045 now.

[​IMG]

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Blob (1958)-Good to see a young Steve McQueen in this flick. Filmed locally. Nothing special.

Belgian guy and spejic repped this.
  19. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Slap Shot (1977)-Good hockey movie starring Paul Newman. The Hanson Brothers are good.

20. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #7695 Chesco United, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Rambo: Last Blood (2019) I'm in the mood for a good, violent movie. Paz Vega is good in a small role. I guess this is the end of the series. Good use of the Doors' Five to One.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Best hockey movie ever.

Dr. Wankler and Chesco United repped this.
  22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've Got Mail(1998)Nora Ephron
    upload_2020-4-27_13-41-54.jpeg
    My wife and I watched this last night. I thought I had seen it b4, but about 2/3rds of the way through, we decided we hadn't.

This is a reprise of a movie with J. Stewart and M O'Sullivan caled The Shop Around the Corner, which I think is the better movie, largely because of the fact that the protagonists work in the same shoppe, so their animus toward each other has some history to it.

Still, an enjoyable romp with a Hollywood, storybook ending.

23. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Open Range (2003)-Good western with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner. Annette Bening stars as the love interest.

spejic repped this.
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Lodge (2019)
    Dir. Severin Fiala & Veronika Franz

[​IMG]

With Christmas nearing, Richard tries to convince his son and daughter, Aidan and Mia, to agree to a trip to their cabin, in which they will be accompanied by their father's girlfriend, Grace. Both of the kids resent Grace, partially for being the proverbial other woman, but primarily because they blame her for their mother's suicide six months earlier. In the end, the trip goes ahead anyway, with Richard having to return to work for a few days before Christmas, leaving Grace and the children alone in the secluded lodge. At first, the only noteworthy thing is the children's open hostility to their soon-to-be-stepmom, until strange things start occurring in and around the house, the nature of which aren't exactly clear.

Decent, well made horror film that is ultimately not very original. If the synopsis didn't give it away, this borrows heavily from "The Innocents" (one of the best psychological horror films ever made), which itself is an adaptation of "The Turn of the Screw". Only it's updated for contemporary audiences, so it's far less subtle and well-constructed than Jack Clayton's classic film. It's held together well by a good central performance in the form of Riley Keough, who confirms her talent as one of the more interesting young actresses working today.

spejic repped this.
  25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Cooler (2003) Pretty good Vegas-set movie. William H. Macy and Maria Bello star.

spejic repped this.