Las Vegas NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Prosoccercdn, Sep 30, 2012.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL has to work on keeping its D2 status right now. As for growing to compete with MLS, USSF will never grant them D1 status. Countries don't have two D1 leagues. I mean look around at every other country on Earth, name me one that has two D1 leagues? For better or worse, MLS is D1 in this country. That's not going to change.

NASL meanwhile is not even really a D2 league right now.

2. New_York_Cosmos

New_York_Cosmos Red Card

Nov 10, 2010
    Monza
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ussf say it is first of all, second Usa are big so they could have 2 Div 1

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF is in MLS's back pocket. They say a lot of things, but if you think they're going to give a competitor a way in on MLS you're crazy. MLS is on track to hit 30 teams in the next decade. That will put it on par with every other major league in North America. Much more than that and there is too many D1 teams to make it work. A second league is out of the question no matter how geographically large the US is just as the other leagues that have challenged the Big 4 have found out.

NASL has post-Peterson seemingly accepted their reality of being a D2 league (if they can maintain that). Best to focus on being the best D2 league they can be rather than restart the nonsense that Peterson was peddling. I know this is hard to accept for someone who roots for the Cosmos, but they're not going to be D1. Not unless they buy out and rebrand the Red Bulls.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Username explains it all.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  5. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL needs to add 4 teams, with one in the Central Time Zone, and keep the rest. Jacksonville needs an owner. If they do that, they are looking solid for DII sanctioning. East Atlanta, Orange County and San Diego will get them close but if Chicago pushes then the Central Time Zone gap could cause them to look for another waiver.

USL may have a harder road to get all its smaller clubs up to par stadium wise.

Unless North Carolina, Indy and San Francisco leave for USL, NASL has a pretty good chance of making as strong a case as USL against the DII standards. Chicago joining for 2018 along the others makes their case very solid.

The One X repped this.
  6. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    As long as Chicago works out I have little doubt the NASL will be a 12 team league in 2018. The bigger question is long term viability than short term.

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could actually be a 12 team league without Chicago If 551 and SI are right about Detroit being close, but the only other Central Time Zone city they are linked with is New Orleans and I understand that is very preliminary. Unless Rayo comes back somewhere in the CTZ ... and we'd probably be better off with the waiver.

I think there's like a 75% chance both NASL and USL are provisional D2 again.

We need a D3 and pro D4 league in this country so it would be nice to see a regionalized pro D4 division form out of top NPSL, PDL, ASL and UPSL teams. For example:

Northeast: FC Buffalo, AFC Cleveland, Long Island Rough Riders, Boston City, Hartford City, Philadelphia Fury

West: Albion SC Pros, SoCal SC, FC Tucson, Kitsap Pumas, Sonoma County Sol, Fresno Fuego, Ventura County Fusion, Albuquerque Sol, Lane United, L.A. Wolves

Midwest: Detroit City, FC Wichita, Milwaukee Torrent, Des Moines Menace, Grand Rapids FC, Tulsa Athletic, Fort Worth Vaqueros, Harpos FC

South: Little Rock, Chattanooga, Atlanta Silverbacks, Birmingham Hammers, Boca Raton FC, New Orleans Jesters, Virginia Beach City, Memphis City

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. I'm not sold all of the recent additions have the legs. I mean San Francisco I've maintained from the start will fold after the 2018 season (2019 at the latest). They can't survive with the costs in SF, general SF apathy toward anything not top tier and their shoddy stadium location. So that will be minus 1. And I'd not be shocked to find out some of these other rushed teams don't have their own issues a couple years down the road.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the ******** do we need a D4 pro league in this country?

And the leagues you mentioned have nearly a zippo chance of creating actual professional teams. The ASL is a complete and utter joke that can't get out of its own way. The UPSL is run by Yan Skwara. And there's a reason the top PDL and NPSL teams don't turn pro. There's no incentive for them to do so, no valid reason for them to do so. (And "I think it would be cool" is not a valid reason.)

USL's new D3 league in 2018 is far more likely to consist largely of new clubs for whom D2 doesn't make sense, one or more current USL teams for whom it doesn't make sense and MLS2 teams than it is to have a contingent of teams from the alphabet soup of amateur leagues that people insist on lumping into the imaginary D4 designation.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider
    42m
    Las Vegas is now the front-runner for the next round of MLS expansion, a source close to the league says. Another, though, says it's probably too early to say for sure whether LV becomes 30th club. Next MLS board of governors meeting: Aug. 25.