Las Vegas NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Prosoccercdn, Sep 30, 2012.

1. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Yep, Quicksilvers I think is a pretty good name.

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Personally I like the name Quicksilvers. I don't particularly care about the history, just think it is a neat name.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the name is fine enough. Just need to come up with a cool logo and kit. Don't be lazy with it and assume the "history" has any pull whatsoever, though.

The One X repped this.
  5. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quicksilver lasted only a year, I'd take the Scorpion moniker as Nasl wanted to do last year or buy the mobsters, change their logo and move them up in the Nasl, but I'd consider also to put the franchise in Reno, North Las Vegas, Henderson or Carson City

6. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going after another USL market?

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    1. Reno has a new USL team already. That market is closed off now.

2. Carson City is so small they can't even sustain a PDL team. They tried. I used to go to their games.

8. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why not? like in OKC
    Carson is the capital
    North Las Vegas is big enough and Henderson even more
    and calling the franchise Nevada Quicksilvers or Nevada Scorpions for instance

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Because the USL team's owner is also the owner of the only viable pro-soccer stadium in town.

You've never been to Carson City, have you? As I said, they proved too small even to sustain a PDL team.

10. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm in Carson City pretty regularly. (I know you're all jealous.) And some places really don't change ... or grow ... or do much of anything.

Duke Kickass repped this.
  12. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Las Vegas could be soon taken by MLS as they did in Detroit that is why I am saying to find other options in Nevada

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There really are none.

Reno/Sparks (about 300,000) is barely viable for the USL.

Carson City (about 55,000) can't sustain a PDL team.

After that you're talking about places like Elko (18,000) and Winnemucca (7,000).

There are two population centers in Nevada: Clark County (Vegas) and Reno/Sparks. And Reno/Sparks is a very small city. There really aren't many people in Nevada outside Clark County.

The only place you could put an NASL team is Las Vegas. That's it. Vegas or bust.

The One X repped this.
  14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MLS wants Las Vegas to be one of their last eight franchises. San Diego and Phoenix would be the Southwestern markets they'd consider. They sent Vegas a rejection letter last year, which I never heard of them doing before. I think that was their way of saying give it up.

The only way I can see it happening is if it's a combined twist of fate where the NFL Raiders move to Las Vegas and Beckham abandons Miami for Vegas, and they share a stadium.

Otherwise, Vegas becomes a good market for either NASL or USL. Both leagues seem to have investors who were/are interested in the last 12 months based on the Cashman article and the prior Empire of Soccer report that the NASL BOG didn't approve an attempt to relocate the Scorpions last winter.

FootySkeptic and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying not.

I'm asking you why. "Why not?" is not a good enough reason.

That was the original team name - and it was attached to a club that was little-known, less-remembered, and for which you weren't around. It's the kind of faux-retro-longing that has people pining for the LA Aztecs, who nobody gave a shit about the first time around.

Apparently we won't stop with the retro until each and every person has the original NASL brand back that they never experienced the first time around.

jaykoz3, aetraxx7 and mikehurst21 repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ( a ) MLS hasn't taken Detroit. Not yet.
    ( b ) All Las Vegas is lacking is, you know, an actual named owner with a viable stadium solution and an overall contribution to the collective that would be as good or better than any of the other cities currently in the queue.
    ( c ) There are no other options in Nevada. None.

Just gotta figure out...you know...where to actually play here (and there).

At this point, there are groups who are much farther along than the Insert Market You've Heard Of Here speculation.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevada is the Silver State.

That said, "quicksilver" is actually mercury, not silver, so it's only applicable in a very tangential, wordplay kind of way.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're really dumb, aren't you?

Carson City is the capital and has a population of 55,000.

Henderson has a quarter million but is part of the greater market, obviously. Not that there's a place to play in Henderson or anything.

But, hey, let's just play Cities On A Map!

Bluesfan repped this.
  19. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you can't compare the history of Aztecs with Quicksilvers sorry but that's not the same thing

20. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't offend you so pay respect.....and well is there a place to play in Las Vegas apart Sam Boyd? I guess Nasl should oversee other options and to me the ones I said are viable

21. Rowdy Joe

Rowdy Joe Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    If carson city was a real option then why is there any other pro sports teams in the area? just face it, it's not a market that the NASL is interested in, especially if they can't even support a PDL club

aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. NewYorkCosmos

NewYorkCosmos Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I may be wrong but he hasn't the right to call me dumb!

23. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for me it's because I have always liked that name. Also by the way you do know that I'm 47 so yes I do remember the original NASL

FootySkeptic repped this.
  24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You know I like your style, but I already made these points a few posts before you did. No need to pile on.
    I wonder if the experience in Reno would in some ways be instructive for what we might see in Las Vegas if they do get an NASL (or less likely an MLS) team at some point.

In Reno, the really dedicated core of fans who rallied around the then unnamed USL team were adamant about two things. First, the team's name should have absolutely nothing at all to do with gambling. Period. Second, the team should strongly reflect Reno's history and culture apart from gambling. So they didn't want some generic name. They wanted something that really said Reno. And they didn't want some cliched gambling name. When 1868 emerged as a choice, you could basically predict from day one that it'd be the eventual winner.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if folks in Las Vegas felt similarly. I don't know what exactly they might draw on, but I'd kind of be surprised if they went with something that screamed Las Vegas cliches. Maybe that means they'd tend to the generic, or maybe they'd look for something aspirational (Inter Vegas). Though Vegas's history is not as long as Reno's I could even see them looking for something historical apart from gambling. Something related to the Hoover Dam or the Old Spanish Trail perhaps.

25. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I disagree. As you mentioned, Vegas' history is not as long as Reno's, and its world renown is for gambling & its historical mob ties. It wouldn't surprise me if they picked a name associated to either of those histories or something euro generic. Personally, I thought Scorpions would be a good way to avoid either of those options. I hope they go with something similar to Reno, I just don't have faith in Sin City... FC Helldorado sounds unique too.