Las Vegas is viable

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DANNO49, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teamdayton32

teamdayton32 Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Neither Cbus or DC will be moving. Cbus is improving rapidly in the community and starting to bring more fans back and DC just signed 2 more years at RFK to figure out their stadium plans. Relocation is pretty much out of the question now with MLS franchises.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC has been trying to "figure out their stadium plans" for a while now.

Never say relocation is pretty much out of the question. Not terribly likely. But DC is a problem that has to be addressed, and a two year lease at RFK hardly does that.

3. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well it'd probably take 18 months or something to build the stadium anyways and the shovel isn't in the ground yet. So that links up well with when DC's contract with RFK is up. If in another year DC haven't made any progress with their stadium and LV have put shovel into ground and started building it could get interesting.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Complete speculation) I wonder if Chang has an idea of that timeframe and said "This is it, within six months if there isn't a deal, we'll do one lame-duck season in DC (or not) and then we're outta here. Or I am." Or if he'd let it play out a bit longer.

There is no doubt that the situation in DC cannot go on indefinitely. That team cannot play at RFK indefinitely. As long as that is true, the specter of relocation is real. Not that it'll happen (it's in MLS' best interests for it NOT to happen) but it's naive to think it's impossible.

5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right. RFK is not a long term solution. I still see Baltimore as the destination of choice for DC, but I understand how Vegas could come into play, given the timing.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, unless Baltimore steps up with something firm, lots of people are in play.

Chang is apparently a patient guy. Much more patient than a lot of people would be.

I like Baltimore, I think it's an underrated city. But I don't think anyone should think they're the slam-dunk, no-way-we-miss-getting-it city of choice if relocation becomes an option.

7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optimism is rising in D.C. and it's beginning to look like United won't be going anywhere.

RFK lease renews push for stadium

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...or-dc-united/2012/02/16/gIQAU5T1NR_story.html

Officials from D.C. United and Events DC are close to agreeing on a two-year lease extension at RFK Stadium, creating a window in which the team and some officials likely will attempt a last-ditch effort to build a stadium for the team in the District.

The combination of a lease that is expected to provide more favorable conditions for the team — as well as possible incentives for the team to remain in the District long-term — and an improved budget situation for the city has created optimism.

United officials have been pursuing a more favorable lease to stave off financial losses. Team President Kevin Payne told The Washington Post in early February that he had recent talks with officials in Maryland and the District.

William N. Hall, a board member at Events DC who was a key player in returning Major League Baseball to the District, said the new lease will “reflect the current economic realities of Major League Soccer in Washington and will more be reflective of the cost-side, or the expense side, of what other MLS teams are dealing with.”

“That two-year extension will then provide adequate time for serious negotiations to commence between the city, Events DC and the team about a new soccer stadium in D.C., and one that meets the needs of the city and one that meets the needs of D.C. United,” he said.

Gregory A. O’Dell, Events DC president and chief executive, would not disclose terms of the lease but said it could include contingencies to give the team incentives to commit to the District long-term. He said he hopes it will be complete by the team’s first home game on March 10.

Mayor Vincent C. Gray has repeatedly said the team needs to pay for its own stadium. But Hall and others say they expect Gray to consider helping the team get a deal. Gray’s chief of staff, Chris Murphy, issued a statement as the RFK lease neared completion saying that “the District is not in a position to build a stadium with taxpayer funds. However, we are hopeful we can find a way to keep them here where they belong.”

In January, city officials announced that the District ended its 2011 fiscal year with a $240 million surplus, after years of having to fill budget gaps. And Council member Jack Evans (D-Ward 2) said despite the improved finances the city was still unable to issue bonds for the project as it did for the Nationals Park or the convention center because of the city’s limit on borrowing. “They are going to be the ones who are going to have to borrow the money because the city can’t,” Evans said of the team.

Hall, a partner at Venable LLP, said he sees the pieces falling into place. “I am confident that we will be able to put the kind of deal together that will result in the D.C. United remaining in Washington the rest of our lifetime,” he said.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think Chang will wait as long as there's something plausible to wait for; right now, that's for the general economy and DC's budget situation to perk up. DC had a surplus of $240 million this year, which will help, but they're still insisting they can't take on any more bonds (there are creative ways around that, as Houston proved, but they involve a big commitment from the team, and in Houston's case they had to have some help from the county, which won't come into play here).

I'm not very high on Baltimore as an alternative (and I think that the lack of many good places to threaten to move the team is one of the reasons why it's still here). They're not as close to approving a stadium as it may appear from a distance (and the Maryland Stadium Authority was much more lukewarm on building one there than in the near-DC suburbs), they're a smaller city than they used to be, and their economy is strained to provide sponsorship/luxury box revenue to the teams they already have. Plus, I'm not sure they're a 'soccer town'--I'm not one of those that thinks relative indoor stability says anything about outdoor viability (first because an outdoor team requires a higher level of support, and second because they're pretty much two different sports from the spectator point of view).

I think Vegas would make a better threat than Baltimore currently does.

9. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also if the money gets done the stadium will start being built this summer. The completion date is in 2014. The same year as the new RFK deal runs out. Coincidence I think notl Las Vegas United. Viva Las Vegas:D

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    D.C. is an essential part of that brand. So IMO it should be Las Vegas D.C. United.

Either that, or rename it entirely.
    I've been forever urging for A.C. Las Vegas Interajax AFC.

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A.C Vegas would be apt. lol....

[​IMG]

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Actually, that would be
    "Turn On The A.C Las Vegas" :p

13. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be unusual, but "Viva Las Vegas" actually sounds like a soccer team...

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a little better.

15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Las Vegas Strip FC:;)

16. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fremont Pitch Experience

17. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Füt™ by Cirque du Soleil

18. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What stadium is this?

19. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new stadium being built in Henderson NV. Go back in the thread

20. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BLM offers land for Henderson stadium plan

If figured so but it's nice to see it in print because there was nothing official saying the stadium would be enclosed.

21. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Maybe MLS should put a team of solely young American players in Las Vegas... sign them to 8-year contracts... and by 2022, we will have a team that is 100% uniquely prepared to compete in the QATAR WORLD CUP.

The only way that LV in MLS comes to pass: Hunt Group says "enough with grocery store soccer fans" and pulls up their tent spikes in Columbus... give it five more years (Crew Stadium is just starting to rust...)

22. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or Vegas could be you know...an expansion franchise. There's still a potential 4 places in the short term, regardless of Garber saying MLS is going to stop at 20. If the league gets a good offer after #20, they'll probably accept it. 24 however is the more natural rounded number to halt at for half a decade or whatever. NYC2/Minneapolis/Vegas/Something in the south/?

23. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    That scenario could fly provided that "Something in the South" means east of the Mississippi. Once upon a time, MLS was unbalanced (more teams in the East) but with recent expansion (6: Salt Lake, CHIVAS, Seattle, SJ#2, Portland, Vancouver), there has been an overcompensation westward (3: Philly, Toronto, Montreal in the East). And the lack of teams in the southeast can't be overlooked much longer.

So, if 5 more teams were to be added over the next 4-6 years, NY#2 is almost a slam dunk, Minneapolis is a stretch (but the NASL team is doing OK), "Something in the South" might be two teams for an instant rivalry (IMO order of likelihood) Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, Nashville or Tampa, and we'd welcome in Las Vegas.

Western Conference (12 -- 2 newbies)
    CD CHIVAS USA, Colorado, FC Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, LA Galaxy, Minneapolis, Portland, Real Salt Lake, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver

Eastern Conference (12 -- 3 newbies)
    Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus, DC United, Sporting Kansas City, Montreal, New England, NY Red Bulls, NY#2, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto

24. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what about the recent news that Carolina is an expansion candidate making both Orlando and Carolina the front runners from the Southeast.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/4/13/2946190/mls-expansion-north-carolina

25. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem with that is that the Carolinas aren't really a candidate at the moment. Garber and co are trying to drum up interest there because they see the potential but thats all it was. There's no group with deep enough pockets present at the moment, no realistic stadium plan and no city willing to stump up some cash.

NYC2, Vegas and Minneapolis are much further down the line at the moment. With Minneapolis probably the furthest down the line considering they have a stadium and ownership group lined up, then Vegas with it's stadium and then NYC2 thanks to the league's efforts.